Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] COLLECTOR CAR APPRECIATION DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Jul 12, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I installed a sliding bed for my truck and just added some e-track to it. Works like a charm.

IMG_4375.jpeg IMG_4591.jpeg

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And my buddy is making good progress restoring that old boat. Only a few replacement pieces needed so far.

ba466a3d-9fb9-4ccf-accc-5d5b7934718a.jpeg 6de4eea4-34ab-4a9f-978d-19dbfb6fbf0a.jpeg

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy collector car day! Anyone here own a classic car? Is it beautiful or a work in progress?

We have had a lot of car shows around here lately, and there are some show stopping beautie to be seen. I never saw nice classics down south, but then, humidity rusts out everything fast.

@GTE , what was your favorite car your shop ever worked on? @dixiebandit69 , what's your favorite classic car that you've ever gotten your hands on?

I've never been a "car person," but my dad wasn't either, so I didn't grow up with car culture. I will say that I was taught to drive on a stick and that's something that is less and less common. So I got that going for me, I guess.

This weekend would be a great time to roll the windows down and go cruising. The heat is going to be wilting.

Happy Friday, idiots! I hear @Nettdata has a 4 day weekend. What kinda trouble are you getting into?

upload_2024-7-12_13-38-25.png

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That old bandsaw is one I gave to him. It’s from the 1940’s and he threw a spare 1hp motor on it and it’s working great.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I posted this in the Automotive Thread, but I recently inherited my stepfather's old Chevy Nova that we started restoring before I moved out for college many, many years ago. It was definitely a lot better before his health started going and it just sat in the garage being neglected, but it's still on the closer end to being ready to take to some local shows than not. Not I'm just working on fixing up some small maintenance stuff like replacing all the fluids, some worn out lines, etc. After that's all done, then I can decide how much I really want to put into making it just fancy or EXTRA fancy.

IMG-20240609-WA0001(1).jpeg

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I did it, I did it, I did it!

They forum functions box sometimes pops up at the waaaaaay bottom. Had to scroll a lot on my phone to find it.

Anyway.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We have been chasing flies to feed to the plants these last few days. I forsee a lot more of that activity this weekend. It's actually mad fun.

IMG_20240712_135453_(1500_x_2000_pixel).jpg

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That does look like fun!

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are only supposed to feed them one fly per plant at once. Feed too many traps and the plant uses too much energy. I just use dried worm meal I have for my bird feeders. Napenthese (pitcher plants) take one bug per pitcher but may collect fruit flies like crazy. Those high humidity plants are the most temperamental. I’ve killed a good number of fly traps and orchids. I like that terrarium you have. Maybe one day I’ll set up a Martha tent with a humidifier.

I finally got my teenage dream car which, since 25 years counts as a classic, is now a 90s classic. Actually my second one. This one is a turbo and I’d like to get one to swap in a V6.

MR2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I’m old and linking Facebook pictures isn’t working. You’ll just have to imagine the Japanese excellence.

edit:

[​IMG]
    fuck it all[/QUOTE]

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our main demographic was Toyota Camry's and F150's which was just fine with me. Get 'em in, get 'em out, money in the bank. Not sure if Dixie will agree but most mechanics and body techs I know hate fancy cars. Dumb complicated to work on* and owners think they drive gold and that the world revolves around them.

*Previous generation Audi R8 needs to have the engine removed if the HVAC fan motor goes out. A tech can get the average rear bumper off a car in 20 mins to maybe an hour. Cars like Audi, BMW, Benz etc can take up four hours. Can't recall the car but I remember one car needing to have the tail lamps removed to get the bumper off. But to get the lamps out, you had to take the rear interior quarter trims out, in order to get those out, you had to take the rear seats out. WTF?

Only car that I can recall wanting was a 911 GT3. I posted a pic of it somewhere on here years ago but here's a stock pic from Google.

GT3.JPG

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Friend of mine bought a killer white Monte Carlo SS a few years ago when our company got acquired.

He spent good money getting the car in from Texas. It is MINT. He loves it.

The first call I got from him in it had him screaming down the highway playing Nazareth on the 8-track. “Now you’re messing with a son of a bitch”.

It is an awesome car.

He called me from the side of the road last week. “I blew the engine”

He’s now exploring his options.

IMG_2307.jpeg

12. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All comes down to budget.

I say to put an LS3 and a 6 speed in, put four wheel disc brakes with modern tires and drive the shit outta it. It's basically a G body car so everything will be off the shelf parts and enough suspension parts to make it handle like it's on rails

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah. That’s what I’m recommending. He’s a bit fixated on keeping it original… no restomod. He even paid stupid money to get the stock radio installed so he could get BC collector plates. (they’re pretty strict).

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is that you?
    To be honest, most "classic" cars really suck compared to stuff made within the last 40 years, for A LOT of reasons. Handling, stopping, electrical systems, engines that aren't as powerful as old-timers made them out to be... I could go on.
    Ex: I've driven every generation of Corvette up to Gen Seven, and the first two were pure dogshit, gens three and four were passable, but gen five (1997) is where they really got things right.

Anyway, in regards to your question:

"what's your favorite classic car that you've ever gotten your hands on?"-
    It's not a car, it was a truck - a 2nd generation Ford Lightning. I've wanted one of those since they were introduced in 1999, and I owned the discount version (2000 Regular cab, flareside F150 with an NA 5.4) for years.

The Lightning I got to drive had been modified, and I couldn't give it more than about 1/2 throttle before it would smoke the rear tires from a 40 mph rolling start.

LS swap any day. That whole "SS" thing on those cars is kind of a joke, because they ONLY had a 305 with shitty cylinder heads and a wimpy cam. But that's how the '80s were, AMIRITE?

Fun fact: If I ever had to start over fresh with a new car, I'd get a G-Body. Preferably a Monte Carlo or a Buick. But these days, I'm so deep into the F-Body game, I can't get out. It's getting close to 20 years, Jungle Julia's Firebird's LS swap is up and running, I've got three parts cars...

Yeah, try telling some Bimmer-bro that after multiple over-heat conditions, his engine is fucked, and that it will cost more than he paid for the car.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

FUCK EUROPEAN CARS. I just got tricked into working on one here at the house.
    An old friend said that she needed the water pump and thermostat housing changed on her Infinity Q-whatever.
    "Okay," I thought.
    "Infinity is just a fancy Nissan, shouldn't be a big deal."

I get this thing here and open it up, and I can instantly tell that something is wrong; the materials, wiring, bolts, logos/ fonts don't look Jap.
    Nope. IT'S A FUCKING MERCEDES-BENZ ENGINE IN A JAP CAR.

Whatever. I've done this before, I can do it again. It's more trouble than I thought it would be, but not more trouble than I can handle.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nope, I’m taking the pic. That’s my friend who bought the boat. I just towed it home for him as it was a really sketchy trailer.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My town has a classic car museum, and James Hetfield is loaning six of his cars for the next year. Not here yet but I’ll go take a look.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

One that works. Not mine but same color.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought you had the cooler gen vs the square first gen. But if you already have the turbo model, why swap it for a V6? Just mod the turbo

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the second gen in the picture and I said I want to get another one, it’ll be a non turbo, to swap in a V6. I actually like the boxy first gen. 3rd gen looked like a weak Boxster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.