Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kuhjäger, May 10, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20240511_002203.jpg

Remember to look up tonight

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fucking hell... my neighbour beside me is in the middle of some serious beef with the neighbour over my back fence.

Apparently the OTF lady has not cut her lawn in 2 years, and her back yard is just a fucking mess. Me? I can't see it, because my parents installed a kick-ass 8' tall privacy fence so we didn't have to look at either of our shitty neighbours over our back fence. Needless to say that's a great feature that remains since I bought the house from Mom.

But the next door neighbour doesn't have that benefit, as she didn't want to do that fence at the time.

So she called the city to bitch, and they told the OTF to get her shit together and get it sorted out. (I had no idea the city could force them to do something in their own back yard, but here we are). OTF freaked out, yelling, because apparently the man of the house is no more... (divorce? COVID? don't know), but regardless, the pool parties and bbq's and regular back yard maintenance has been missing for almost 3 years.

Until tonight.

Tonight, this glorious masterpiece showed up:

IMG_4138.jpeg

IMG_4137.jpeg

She saw me taking pics as she was installing it... and I just smiled and waved. She scowled and stapled hte last piece in place, hiding her from view.

I was SO tempted to go fly my drone to peek over it... I still might.

Fucking neighbours.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Did anyone catch the Northern Lights? I looked for a few minutes last night around 10:30 and saw lots of beautiful stars and a crescent moon. That is a natural phenomenon that I want to see at least once in person before I die.

Today I'm at the Spring Bazaar. I am optimistic.
    IMG_20240511_083747_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Don't forget to do something thoughtful for the moms in your life.

Happy weekend, idiots!

4. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was fantastic here in Sweden. The entire sky was filled with aurora for about an hour. It came at the best time, these are the last few days where there is any darkness at all, and the darkness only is a couple hours.

The storm was so strong it caused our lights to flicker for around 15 minutes.

20240511_002659.jpg 20240511_001741.jpg

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had cloud cover last night, but should be clear tonight. I've heard if you can't see with naked eye, do a long exposure on camera. Going to try that and hyperlapse on my phone tonight.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm so friggin mad. I went on Facebook and on the local town page, someone was posting pics they took of the Northern Lights. Damn it!

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's supposed to be back tonight.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'll have to lay on the hammock tonight for awhile and take more time to look. I was just whipped last night and gave a quick peek. Thanks for the heads up on that!

9. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm tempted to try and go out again tonight, but I think there's supposed to be less activity and more cloud cover. Don't know if I can justify two 11pm bedtimes in a row for the toddler, either, but I am glad he got to see them last night. He was a little cranky at first but then he got really excited about the "dark night rainbows".

Attached Files:

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

First time I saw the Northern Lights I was hunting in Northern Ontario. It was mind blowing.

I never expected to see huge swaths of light flit across the entirety of the sky in the blink of an eye. Greens, blues, purples, dancing around directly overhead, for about 2 hours.

It defied my natural sense of physics.

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve seen the northern lights in Alaska and in upstate New York. In Alaska they were bright and shifting, and various shades of green. In New York they were orange, red and yellow, but much more faint.

Nearly every time there is a celestial event it’s cloudy here. It was cloudy last night, and will be cloudy tonight. Meteor shower peaks, rocket launches, the recent partial (here) eclipse- I almost always miss them due to lousy weather conditions.

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My first time was over the north Atlantic on a flight to Amsterdam. Mostly greens with some blues & purples. I got excited when I saw them and said something to the passenger next to me. They couldn't have cared less

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We've had a good bit of rain over the last 24 hours... and the fabric fence has not held up well, as it has gotten wet, and heavy, and pulled off some of the small staples holding it to the shitty posts. It's pissing down rain so I can't take a pic yet due to the fear of melting, but hopefully tomorrow.

This is going oh so well.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We got a crazy display last night. I saw a few cool aurora displays last year in Alberta, and the skies and light pollution were a lot less, but nothing like last night - the colors and movement from last night's display were insane.

Z72_5305.jpg

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That is amazing.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think my partner was, at one point, trying to not be obvious that she was crying because it was so incredible. Like you said, it kinda fucks with your mental construct of how the world works.

Some things should only be possible within the confines of a fictional world, and the atmosphere suddenly turning into a swirling spectrum of colors seems like one of those things.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The last time I recall seeing them here in Upstate NY was 30+ years ago. The night sky just kinda went green and pink at times, none of the flashing and all that.

Of course like any rare or dramatic celestial event, the NY weather is pure shit right now and there’s no use trying to look.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s probably when I saw them. I was up there in’94 visiting my buddy’s family in the Messina area. Way up along the St Lawrence.

19. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Good fences make for good neighbours. Not sure 8' fences, but definitely ones that force you to get close to peer over and chat..

20. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I'm immensely jealous of the light show. It's been almost 20 years since I was in Yukon working and got to see them nightly during the latter part of the summer. The massive coronal ejections looks like they make for something truly incredible. Even the UK got a taste apparently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.