Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

1/10/14 WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So let me get this straight: you want her, when she is harrassed about her weight, to respond with "Yes sir, you raise cogent points. I can in fact see how my body is disgusting to you, and I feel very bad about it." You want her to apologize for inconveniencing your sensibilities by doing nothing in particular?

And clearly she does not in fact get a pass, because here we are discussing it. In fact, if you type her name into google, the first two suggested searches are "Gabourney Sibide weight" and "gabourey sidibe weight loss." So in fact, it dominates discussion of her. That is the opposite of what getting a pass is.

Dude it's kinda creepy that you installed cameras in her house.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes.

Or, y'know "I am sickly overweight, and I want kids to know it's not healthy to be my size".

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fair point. And that's true.

But...why is it socially acceptable to approach a "skinny" person - male or female - and say "You need to EAT! Get you some cheeseburgers!" and mean it...
    But approaching an obese person and saying "Um. You really think you need that king size Snickers and 64oz soda?" is tantamount to hate speech?

Anorexia and bulimia are serious illnesses, physically and psychologically. Yet, they're okay to joke about. It's okay to tell someone 'Just EAT!'.

Obesity is literally costing our country billions of dollars. Billions. And because of the ACA those healthcare costs are going to roll over to the rest of the public even more. Why can't we address obesity with a matter of fact, pragmatic, scientific attitude?

Our children are sick and getting sicker because of obesity. We have young kids developing diabetes, sleep apnea, joint issues, fatty livers and so on because of their diet and their weight. Our general attitude about the subject HAS to change...because it's killing our children.

4. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have some of the weirdest real life sex ever.

5. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the media, absolutely.

In the public, no quite the opposite.

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't get the controversy. Both body types are unhealthy psychologically and physically. Neither should be promoted at healthy or attractive

This
    [​IMG]
    is as unhealthy as this

[​IMG]

7. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my experience the vast majority of people doing that are overweight and I think they want to see the "skinny" (fit) people eating cheeseburgers to validate themselves eating a cheeseburger.

8. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe I shouldn't waste my time here, but it's worth saying that anorexia and obesity are not opposites of each other, or two sides of the same coin, or whatever the fuck it is you're imagining. Anorexia is an eating disorder, and obesity is a description of someone's weight calculated against their height. Someone can have a very low BMI without being anorexic, but you can't have a very high BMI without being obese because that is the definition of obesity. People with eating disorders can be of normal weight, or even overweight. Anorexia is unhealthy psychologically because someone with anorexia doesn't look at themselves in the mirror and think "gee, I really am skinny and disgusting, and I need to stop this". They look at the mirror and think that they're still fat and need to lose more weight. I am not obese, nor am I an expert in obesity, but you know what? I'm willing to bet a whole lot of things that obese people - or at least, the vast majority of them - don't look in the mirror and say "oh my god I'm dangerously skinny, I really need to eat more right this second". It's probably something closer to the psychology of smokers who "know" but don't care that they're shortening their lives, or procrastinators who'll get around to filing their taxes tomorrow, or people who think that the problems with their relationships will get better with time instead of worse.

Hey, that's a neat opinion and all, except anorexia and bulimia aren't cool to joke about, and telling someone with anorexia "just eat!" is about as fucking stupid as telling someone with schizophrenia "just stop listening to the voices!". And since I've gone off the deep end of the nerd pool, I should point out that bulimics don't really need any encouragement to eat.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see you almost entirely skipped Shimmered's point in your last paragraph. I don't think that actress needs to apologizes for her weight when she is hounded by critics but speak through her actions and lose the weight to say, this level of obesity is not healthy. She is not some fucking body builder who is technically obese because the BMI doesn't factor body density. I agree that eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia are not comparable to obesity as they have severe psychological components to them. Not that obese people don't have some major addiction issues themselves but in general eating disorders are a magnitude worse.

I am with Shimmered though that something has to be done as health cost are rapidly become a public health concern that needs to be addressed. Some how we've demonized smokers to the point her extinction (little hyperbole). Maybe fat shaming won't changes minds like it did for smokers or be able to point to a single object and say this is the fucking problem. Something has to be done. I don't think fat acceptance is helpful in any way at all.

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Normalization of unhealthy lifestyles is not helpful.
    Questions of aesthetics aside, obesity is bad because it causes disease by, for instance, raising blood pressure and cholesterol levels, stuffing your liver full of fat, blocking your throat so you can’t breathe at night, crushing your joints. Fat people are more likely to get blood clots, gallstones, gout and some cancers – as well as type 2 diabetes, which leads to all manner of medical mayhem. Fat men and women make less money, marry less often and are less educated than the lean. They are more often depressed. In the Framingham Heart Study, which has examined the causes of cardiovascular disease across generations, the very fat lived on average six to seven years less than the lean. The moderately fat lived three years less. If you quit smoking and get fat, you may as well have kept on smoking. These dire facts are not my opinion. They are based on empirical data extracted from large international trials and studies. I wish it were not so. I wish you could get really fat and stay healthy. I wish you could get morbidly obese and be considered beautiful. Maybe it will change with time, as we all become enormous, and we’ll look back on the skinny-is-beautiful era with distaste, regarding high cheekbones, defined jaws and long sculptured thighs as skeletal and ugly. I cannot imagine this, but neither could I have imagined that we’d end up in a world so fat.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Serious question: How is she "promoting" this to kids?

What kid is so fucking stupid, they go "Yeah, I wanna be that dumpy bitch from 'Precious'?"
    Kids are obese because they eat shitty food and don't exercise. They eat shitty food because it's cheap and ubiquitous and don't exercise because it's hard and time-consuming. They aren't fat because of role models.

12. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I just bought myself a pair of backcountry skis and telemark bindings. I mean, they're cross-country skis though. Which presents a problem: "backcountry skis" sound awesome, "backcountry cross-country skis" sound awkward, but they're not quite proper telemark skis. But I'm sure I'll get around it.

I feel as though in a few years I may look back on this date and reflect that this was the day when my transition to full dirtbag started in earnest.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're right. They don't say "I wanna be that dumpy fat bitch".

They say "There's a representation of my body type and it's okay FOR HER, why isn't it okay FOR ME?"
    Seeing the Rebel Wilsons, the Megan McCarthys, and the Gabourey Sidibes as worthy of attention because they're strong, funny (that's debatable on Rebel Wilson's part...I find her annoying), and talented is a good thing. Seeing them as fat women whose obesity validates and excuses unhealthy lifestyles because 'they're successful too' is a bad thing.

14. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Not directed at any one in particular.

I'm not arguing that being fat is healthy. I'm not arguing that you should find it attractive. I'm not arguing that it's cool, or that kids should want to grow up to look like Melissa McCarthy or Chris Christie.

I'm saying that this board, which was an off-shoot of one that was founded by somebody who brags about how much he drinks and fucks, which has an entire section dedicated to guns and ammo, which giggles knowingly when somebody gets so inebriated that they can't post properly, generally doesn't give a fuck about fat people's health.

I think what actually happens is that the people on this board find women that aren't fuckable to them and enjoy mocking them. Which is boring as shit after two years. If people actually wanted to discuss weight and how it intersects with public health costs, I wouldn't even say a goddamn word.

But calling Sidibe "Shamu" and pretending like it's reasonable to expect her to be grateful to twitter users who mock her and call her dumb fat bitch isn't done in good faith. So I'm not going to pretend like it's anything other than "hurr durr women i don't want to fuck don't deserve basic human decency."

15. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Unrelated.

We just had a staff meeting where we were instructed "not to use TLAs". Where TLA = Three Letter Acronym. THEY USED A THREE LETTER ACRONYM FOR THREE LETTER ACRONYM. Jesus Fuck.

16. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Did you tell the presenter to STFU? I mean that's not a TLA, so it shouldn't be against the new company policy...

17. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll address both of these posts at once. First off, I'm not a Christian just so everyone doesn't think I'm defending his beliefs, I'm just explaining them. It is explicitly stated that it is not the place of humans to judge other humans in the Bible and since every single person on the planet is a sinner and all sins are punished equally (you go to Hell for eternity) no person has room to judge. Simply stating that homosexuality is a sin isn't passing judgement on anyone since it says it pretty explicitly in the modern English translations. So if you're arguing that the Christian God is a bigot I'd agree with you, but that doesn't make whatever the fuck his name is a bigot since according to his beliefs he is expressly forbidden to pass judgement on others, and nothing he has said or done to my knowledge thus far qualifies as passing judgement in any capacity. I'll take it to PMs from here on out though.

Well, in return I'd say fuck you for advocating the for the persecution of someone for their religious beliefs when he personally is not harming anyone in any capacity. I actually do not care about whatever that chicks name is, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy in your beliefs. They're both in the public eye and if you condemn him you there is no way you can't condemn her without admitting you yourself are bigoted. If you want to actually address the points I made rather than making up an argument to attack I'll continue the conversation in a PM because nowhere did I even come close to implying that.

18. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

From what I hear thats not really as tight as you would think.

Also Re: Large Fat black lady Im not familiar with.

Why is it her job to tell someones children that she's not healthy? Isn;t it the parents job to explain to their children what unhealthy is and how to avoid it? Why is she suddenly the person responsible for educating people just because she wore a pretty dress and went to an awards show?

I think Lewis CK Said it bed ( and yes I'm aware its not the same subject, but the sentiment is the same).
    But lets change it just to see how it looks.

19. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It has nothing to do with her being a woman. You can pretend like it does if that makes you feel better but it doesn't. If it was Ralphie May or Chris Christie as the subject instead of Sidibe I'd be saying the same exact thing, and I never mocked her so, but I have a feeling you won't be able to come down from your high horse and acknowledge what people are actually saying instead of arguing against opinions that no one has stated so far.

20. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

... Well now I'm curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.