Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

1/10/14 WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So not to turn this into "Ask an officer" type of thread but I do have something I want to ask.

If you get pulled over for a minor traffic violation (say speed less than 15 over, or rolling a stop sign), and the officer asks you, "Do you know why I pulled you over?", what should you do? If you say yes, you admit guilt, if no you may annoy them, if you make eye contact but don't respond you may still annoy them.

My intuition is you want to say something without admitting anything or lying. Don't know how to do that though.

2. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So we took the little girl to see Frozen. Oh my fuck that "Do you want to build a snowman" song is depressing.

3. Candles

Candles
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Whenever I feel a little down. I watch this video.

#683 Candles, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Pepper Spray is way worse. A tazer feels like its strangling your soul but its over when the sadist stops pushing the button. Pepper spray blinds you, asphixiates you, burns you from the inside out like a fire was lit in your throat. Total panic, and it very VERY slowly goes away.

5. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So... without going into the morality or otherwise of rape jokes, I read this a while back and it makes some solid points. Link. I agree with it, and I've modified my own jokes significantly based on the general argument.
    And yet.
    And yet...

I saw Jimmy Carr last night, and around the straight up brilliant satire and elaborate puns, it was pretty much 2 hours of rape, bestiality, and pedophilia jokes. And I was in tears from laughing so hard. I don't know whether this says more about me or him, but goddamn that was the funniest gig I have ever seen, by miles. (Oh, and he did a magnificent job of crushing the hecklers that are tragically fairly representative of the average Perth bloke - we pride ourselves on anti-intellectualism here, to the point where we can be annihilated by a guy who simulates fucking a cat on stage.)

11/10, would watch again.

6. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't think being tazed was the worst thing I've ever felt. It was definitely up there but I barely even needed any support from the two people holding my arms, I'm certain it wouldn't have even brought me to my knees I just felt immobile. OC spray was less initially painful than a tazer in my opinion. Hard to compare two different kinds of pain though, even though it hurt less I'll take the pain of being electrocuted than burning in the eyes/nose/throat any day. Tear gas is also surprisingly less effective than I thought it would be.

7. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ehh, either everything is okay to joke about or nothing is okay to joke about, you just have to be able to recognize the time and place. And as far as joking about rape somehow normalizing rape, that sounds like something that someone who couldn't take a joke just made up. I mean, if you believe that you have to apply that logic to everything you joke about which effectively leaves you with zero sense of humor.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Nowadays people feel the need to attack comedians for jokes. Daniel Todh made a rape comment at a snippy female audience member and they forced an apology from him.

Sorry, but comedians get to say whatever they want on stage and anybody else has to just deal with it. It's a fucking JOKE. That's their job, and day after day comics have to up the shock value ante to keep people watching.

People who take it upon themselves to get actually offended by jokes are usually just starved attention whores trying to look like a hero by taking a moral stand.

9. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's fine for people to get offended at jokes, I don't think it's fine for people to demand people to stop making jokes because they got offended. You don't like it then don't laugh and remove yourself from the conversation.

Getting butthurt by things comedians say on stage is just retarded. Anyone who doesn't like it should simply not watch their shows. It literally takes no effort to remain unoffended. It's probably not a good idea to go to a show where you don't even know who the person performing is, and it's really dumb to get offended about what the person performing has to say since you put yourself into that position. Specifically in regards to Tosh I think what he said was shitty and while obviously not serious it wasn't funny to me but I'm a little confused at how they talk about how shocked they were that he would say what he said. What did they think would happen when they heckled him? He would bow before them and beg forgiveness?

10. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The bolded portion implies that comedians should be free from any form of criticism. I don't agree with that. While I'd be opposed to censorship, such as comedians being banned from venues or HBO etc. pulling the plug on specials because they're afraid of offending people, things like this below aren't necessarily a bad thing:

#690 Coke Bottle Casualty, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Getting offended by words alone is the real joke. They're words. They play no true physical or mental effect on you. And you're more special than anyone else because it offends you and nobody else? Where is the logic in that?

12. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yes, absolutely, words cannot be used to trigger anyone suffering emotional distress from a previous traumatic incident or series of incidents. I forgot that not only have you been raped, but you've also seen action in combat and suffer from PTSD related to both. So in addition to the research being on your side you also have personal anecdotal experience in the subject. /sarcastic rant

Again, all I'm saying is that its worth discussing.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are right on every point. It is a type of hot sauce not just the brand.

I do find it funny that so many douche bag tech hipsters moved to San Francisco that the hipster douche bags that lived there first are openly protesting it.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I also read that it would only be rough on the air quality for a short time every year when they actually grind the chile's to make the sauce. Leave it to a bunch of assholes like them to want a product but also play the "not in my backyard" role as well.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What ARE the bad things about Silicon Valley? Truthfully I know nothing about the place since Zorin tried to blow it up but I constantly hear vitriol directed at the place from Americans.

Hollywood is a love-hate for me. Yes they make billions but theyd make a lot more if funds were distributed properly. No actor deserves 20 million for acting in a movie. Or ten. Or five. Or one. Acting is easy, literally anybody can do it, and the fact they act like its hard is a fucking joke. Try being a minimum wage aid to one of these prima donnas-- THAT'S aggravating and worthy of high pay.

16. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cops get lied to on a daily basis. Cops get treated without respect from pretty much everyone. What I would do is this...

-open all windows
    -turn on the dome light (even during the day)
    -hands visible
    -If you have a knife/gun whatever on you, just say, "just before I grab my license, I just want you to know I have [whatever] in my pocket/on my hip, whatever"
    -If you're speeding, admit it, just say "Yes sir/mam I'm sorry, I was going a little fast"
    -Honesty and respect go a LONG way, believe me.

17. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got pulled over this morning about half a mile from the office and really had no idea why. The sheriff was behind me for a minute as I went 35 in a 40 before randomly hitting the lights on me, and when he walked up to me the only thing I could think of saying was "Hi, can I help you?". He asked for my license and insurance, I handed it over, he asked where was coming from and going, then checked out my license and told me my center brake light was out (I thought "what the fuck?" Had no idea) and sent me on my way. No ticket, just a verbal warning. This is the third time I've been pulled over, all for lights that need to be fixed, and I've yet to be ticketed- just "warned." Playing the polite/respectful/not looking for trouble card has worked pretty well for me. There's a Napa Auto Parts nearby so they should have the light I need.

It's a good thing I changed my plans for today since I almost went shooting and would have had a handful of guns and pile of ammunition and stuff with me. That could have been fun.

18. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

And yet, I was pulled over 4 times in 6 months after I bought my Mustang in the small town where my parents live, "just to ask where I was going". As in, the cops would run my plates, see that I was from the city, and I don't know, assume that I'd stolen the car? There's nothing more infuriating than being stopped by a cop barely old enough to shave for absolutely no reason. If I was speeding, sure, pull me over. But don't stop me because you're bored and have the faintest hope that I might just happen to be a stupid car thief WHO KEEPS COMING BACK TO THE SAME TOWN.

19. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Assholes exist, especially in small towns. I like to think they're the exception to the rule. Unfortunately people hate cops.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, hold on.

I'm with you telling the cop if you have any weapons or anything. Thats a safety issue as well as covering your ass. However, I can't think of any other reason, regarding the bolded parts than to allow you to basically give you more ammo to get yourself the ability to search the vehicle. I know a vehicle search is a cop's wet dream. For a basic traffic stop, why would I open all the windows? You just want to look into the car, so you can see something suspicious, which then would give you PC to search the vehicle. For rolling a stop sign. I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.