Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

11/3/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Speaking of which, its not the most mind-blowing track, but Less Than is a really good tune. I really like how NiN has grown over the years and that their skill is highly recognized since Reznor composes so many movie and TV soundtracks now.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Y'all should listen to Billy Corgan on a recent Joe Rogan podcast. He goes over some of the ins and outs of music distribution/rights as far as pre and post Napster music industry. Very down to earth guy despite what has been said about him.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They also didn' say you earn 75 percent less. And they removed the refund button and now you have to call for a refund.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was awesome. I remember he did an interview a few years back in Stern I think and I wasn’t crazy about his personality. I think he was playing up some shitty tortured artist persona that hated everything for a new album. But the podcast interview was much better.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One of my favourite songs of the year. The 90’s “alt king” bands: Tool, NIN and (formerly) Rage Against the Machine don’t put out stuff often, but when they do the quality of the work always makes the wait worth it. People in bands like that are so far beyond the vision and intelligence of typical artists.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's because he actually had talent and something new. Never mind it was a pre-Internet age where it was so much harder to find and become talent.

When I was at Nettwerk Records we had a rep for being one of the big "Industrial" record labels (MC 900 Ft Jesus, Skinny Puppy, etc), and Trent came by looking for a record deal. He had a demo tape (I think I still have a copy somewhere in a box), and a pretty solid list of demands. Terry, the co-founder of Nettwerk, smiled and thanked him for coming out, said he'd love to sign him, and would in a blink of an eye, but there's no way we could afford to pay him what Trent wanted, and deserved.

Sure enough he got the deal he wanted, because everyone wanted him.

These days it's really, really hard to find someone good enough and unique enough to throw that kind of money and creative control at... it's too easy to just go and pick one of the other 100 artists that are exactly the same, and willing to sign the deal put in front of them.

I've known a few absolutely mind-blowing musicians that never made it big because they weren't willing to give as much as the record companies wanted to take... and they're way, way better than most of the shit that is out there right now. (Of course, "better" is very subjective).

A real sign of a "star" is an artist who can grab a mic at a bar and rock the house down without needing dancers, electronics, light shows, etc. If you've ever seen (for example) Travis Tritt, or Pink, live in a small venue, you'll know what I mean.

#147 Nettdata, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’ve been to a couple of the “Blind Date” concerts we had years ago where you had no idea who the artist was going to be. Dreadlocks-era Lenny Kravitz comes out on stage and played The Nac (Cowboys now) here in town for 400 people and fucking KILLED. The second one I saw was Chili Peppers with about 700 people. Insanely good.

The Rolling Stones often like playing bar gigs before and after shows. They always considered themselves a bar band. I’d love to be at one of THOSE shows.

Live music, THAT kind of live music is the very best kind.

9. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I completely agree. I remember back in the summer of '94 seeing the Dave Mathews Band on Nantucket with maybe 150 people in the audience. Say what you will about the DMB, but for three hours they absolutely killed it. And remember they only had one LP(Remember Two Things) and one EP(Recently) out at the time.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Likewise when BTO did their "sick of gardening" tour... they came out and played 200 person bars, and it was awesome.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

i fucking love DMB... especially when Tim Reynolds plays with him... I don't get why he gets all the hate... they are great musicians who put on a hell of a show.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Here’s why DMB gets the hate:

Women love Dave Matthews songs. He sings a lot of songs geared at or about women. So, about 15 years ago lot of guys started to pretend to like Dave Matthews for the chicks. And by that spawned a sea of college douche fans nobody likes.

People who say that they don’t like DMB usually say it because they think his songs are feminist pandering, or they can’t stand their fans. Either way it’s a lame excuse. DMB is awesome, one of the best live acts there is.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And he was an early sponsor for 23 And Me.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Anybody who wants their minds changed about him only have to see him live. Or buy the album “Crash”. People who go to see DMB haven’t seen him once or twice. They’ve seen him 35 times. Or 80 times. He has a cult concert following to the line of Grateful Dead, Phish and Springsteen.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I know of some people who don't like them.

16. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't seen him that many times, but I'd say I'm into the double digits.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

18. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Talking about music services, I'm a big fan of Google's Play Music. $10USD/mo and you also get Youtube Red as part of the deal.

There's very little that they don't have. My experience is that the music is pretty obscure if Play Music doesn't have it. And, it does have Tool.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Add me to the people who don't like DMB. Went to one concert (because of a girl of course). A song would come on and I'd think "Hey, I know this song. It's pretty good." and then 20 minutes later, they'd still be playing the same damn song. I think some people call it "jamming". I call it "shut the fuck up and play the next song."

Currently I'll use Pandora a lot for music as my Outlaw Country channel is pretty well dialed to what I like. After a few hours it'll start to play weird shit or new age country shit though. I'm also one of the people that uses YouTube as a jukebox.

Bluebeat.com is also pretty slick. You add music to your "crate" and then it'll play your selections at random. You can have numerous crates for different needs. Working out, party, Christmas, baby making music etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.