Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2/12/16 VDWDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Is her superpower doxxing "bigots" on Twitter?

Although if they portrayed her as struggling to live a healthy lifestyle/dieting while being overweight, I could see that resonating with those who are having similar issues and are trying to live healthier themselves (and thus being a good thing). I have a feeling that's not where they're going with this though; More like "I'm fat and THAT'S OK YOU INTOLERANT SHITBAG!!!! ACCEPT ME!!!" garbage that at best promotes living an unhealthy lifestyle and at worst promotes silence in the name of "tolerance"...

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Next installment: She battles a wedding cake.

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It isn't really complicated. These people actually feel shame about how they look and feel, but because they've been treated like special little snowflakes and told how perfect they are their whole lives, they are unable to process the idea that anything could be their fault. To resolve this cognitive dissonance they need the original shame to have an external source, and that external source must then be wrong.

Excepting freak medical issues, the overweight tend to fall into two main categories.

One group is made up of the people who don't really care. They know that they're fat, but it doesn't bother them enough to do anything about it. Sometimes these people start to care and then lose weight, especially if it starts to have a negative effect on their lives. There are a lot more men than women in this group because there is more pressure on women to be slim.

The other group is made up of people who are just generally shitty people, and their weight is a symptom of that shittiness. They are largely stupid, selfish, emotion-driven people with poor impulse control and no concept of personal responsibility or delayed gratification. Their lives suck and all of their problems are self-inflicted, yet somehow none of it is their fault. Coincidentally enough, it is extremely profitable to exploit the people of this group, which probably says a lot about why they get so much support.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much.

Because objectifying people is wrong.

5. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man those covers are hilarious. This board hasn't made me stifle laughter at work like that in a while. The duo one looks like she's changed clothes in order to sneak back into a buffet. The birds on the wire seem puzzled, like, "Why is she updating her food blog up here? Also why aren't the wires sagging WAY more *tweet*?" The flying through the clouds one looks like she ripped a massive fart, propelling her to the sky.

As for the 'serious' issue of promoting un-healthiness, what Clutch said. Further, I find almost all of the outrage to be fake, privileged and masturbatory -- they aren't trying to change society, they're trying to dupe themselves into feeling good. Last I checked, the West, and the U.S. in particular, has a serious problem with obesity, which makes me question how effective/destructive 'fat-shaming' really is.

From a related article linked in that Huffpo piece: "As a fat woman, I am aware almost constantly of how I stand, how I sit, who can see me and what they might be thinking. I don’t lean back in public because it makes my stomach stick out. I don’t wear sleeveless shirts in public because people can see the rolls of my upper arms."

Honey, everyone can tell you are fat, no matter how you stand, sit, tilt, tumble, roll, or what you wear. Weird how none of her concerns are about what she looks like when she goes to the gym, or even out for a fucking walk.

"For years I wouldn’t eat fast food in my car if other drivers could see me."

This is funnier than the comic covers. Like not eating fast food all the time is clearly not an option, and getting out of the car to do so is just silly. The problem, obviously, is that other drivers might see her. And they -- gasp -- might make some kind of judgment. But this fat superhero is helping her get over that, thank god.

6. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that in the Third World, if you translated that article, a guy or gal there would nearly die laughing at it. Because, you know, they hardly have food, and they know what it is to go to bed hungry.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Be careful guys. Some TiB members left in a huff the last time somebody suggested fat people should put down the donut.

All this overweight & body image stuff seems to be like everything else in the world - blown out of whack by the extremists. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition comes out this week, and it will feature a plus-sized model. Lena Dunham is often praised for not being afraid to be a real woman. All of that is just fine by me - women shouldn't be pressured into being a rail thin super model, and being a normal body type shouldn't be shameful. But, trying to convince, uh, society? that "being 15 pounds overweight doesn't make you a bad person," has devolved into "being 100 pounds overweight should be celebrated."

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Dont apologize and dont censor yourselves. If people cant handle their thoughts on race, gender, body image, whatever being challenged, they can fuck off out of here.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone ever seen a fat guy on the cover of a romance novel? Similarly, a magazine is meant to be entertainment, not a mirror of the real world. It's escapism.

If I wanted to be entertained by fat people I'd just go to Wal Mart.

EDIT: In other news...

Drunk, knife-wielding monkey reportedly attacks bar patrons

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/0...rtedly-attacks-bar-patrons.html?intcmp=hplnws

10. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obesity is a problem, like meth addiction level. Give this a watch, from the BBC. I watch a lot of these shows. They are disturbing at best.

Side note: that plus size girl in SI? Don't lie, you'd hit that every way.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And twice on Sunday.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem with Ashley Graham is that women who claim to be the same height and weight as her will think they look like her.

She happens to be proportionally overweight and carries it well. Having a nice face doesn't hurt either. She's 5'9", ~200 lbs. You know what else is the same height and weight?
    55372-3.jpg
    According to the website, this girl is only a size 14, too.
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-48546-body-shape.htm?StartAt=6#.VsYgE_krI2w

What you eat and how much muscle you carry also makes a big difference.

That ^^^ woman has never found a bowl of queso she didn't like.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

To be fair, neither have I. My god, imagine what her taint smells like?

14. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell is that smell.

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just glad I inherited a red hot metabolism that has so far helped keep me lean.

Also I've never been a big football fan but have always liked Jared Allen*.

*Except for those DUIs. Not cool. But he was entertaining on and off the field.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ashley Graham is plus size in the same way that LeBron James is big and tall. They don't represent the average person shopping in that section of the department store.

17. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard that obese people have lower conviction rates at trial. Apparently juries are less likely to think overweight people are capable of committing crimes.

I do find it a bit interesting images of Superwoman, barbie etc are labeled as sexist and unrealistic and over the years the companies who own those images have worked to modernize them. However isn't Batman, Superman, and ever other male superhero an unattainable image for the vast majority of men out there? I think the argument does go both ways.

#177 toddamus, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  18. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they were correlated, I would assume that it was likely due to confounding factors such as obesity being more common among the poor and stupid, who also tend to be more likely to settle for plea deals rather than going to trial. Crime and justice statistics are notoriously hard to develop control groups for.

19. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll clarify that I don't have a problem with what the fat writer I quoted was saying, just that I find her and many people like her to be obscenely self-involved and narcissistic. If any examples of her 'struggle' were that people were harassing her in real life, actually coming up to her unprovoked and insulting or berating her for her weight, I'd be on her side. But she cited not eating fast food in the car (still cracks me up) because of what other people might think. Like holy shit, get over yourself.

Also add that I think Girls is decent, and I especially like how the more people freak out about Dunham being naked on screen, the more she does it. Same goes for when they said the cast wasn't diverse enough, so she had Donald Glover guest star as her boyfriend for like two episode total.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was a sarcastic "warning" from me. I'm pretty sure I contributed to the running off. Absolutely, wear your big girl pants.

And, those are bigger on some of you than others.

Pshaw, you say. I TOTALLY look like Superman.

And, by totally, I mean, not in any way, at all. Though, I have worn underwear, boots and a cape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.