Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2/24/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to the Daytona 500 in 2012. I spent the whole weekend there and had a blast. We had several rain delays and by the time it finally started I was drunk enough to sleep through most of the race. It's a good time, for everything except the event it's centered around. This is the crash we had that year.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NASCAR would be infinitely better if they incorporated game mechanics from Mario Kart.

3. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Game mechanics being like right and left turns?

Shit things just got complicated.

Only 52 laps to go. And I am on the edge of my seat.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah no one told me before I went to my first NASCAR race it is ear piercingly loud. I ended up stuffing scruntched up napkins in my ear because I wasnt paying the 10-15 dollars for the 2 cent foam ones at the stands. Free tickets though so it wasn't a total waste. Funner if you follow it and new what placing/winning meant to the drivers as far as the season goes. There weren't any big wrecks and Danica Patrick came in like 40th and wasn't even nude.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, original jokes! How fun. Yep, you got it, just incest and turning left. I'm surprised they even show it on TV. It's not for everyone, though.

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you clearly like NASCAR, which is fine

[​IMG]

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At this point there have been more wrecks than I've had beers. It would be cool if the race finished with less than a dozen cars

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to see 4 cars, 5 laps, let it happen

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And I won the pool. I'll have to do this again next year.

10. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was boring, but watching F1 isn't any better. Technically F1 is insane and captivating, in terms of actual racing, pretty lame

11. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I never really had a desire to go to NASCAR until I watched an episode of Vanderpump Rules (I know, it's shit. It's my guilty pleasure) where they rented an RV and went to a race. It actually looked like a lot of fun. I would go to one if I could spend the day drinking and eating shitty food with 8 of my favorite people.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I love nascar, probably to the surprise of no one. Well, I used to love it. They keep changing it up every year to make it interesting, and with all the regulations that are in place to make it "fair," it's gotten incredibly boring. You used to have a driver or a crew chief who'd find some edge and exploit it. There was actual competition, the better drivers were the better racers. If you pissed someone off you were getting wrecked, or at least bumped. Now all the cars are same, and they're million dollar machines disguised as cars. Every single fucking part of those vehicles is the same across the board, and there's no way you can relate to what they're driving unless you are also a nascar driver. The driving is all about computers and calculating fuel mileage and pit strategy.

Now I couldn't tell you who the top drivers are, or what the "playoff" or "chase" or whatever format is. I'll watch it if I have nothing to do on a sunday. When my son gets old enough I'd love to go to daytona or talledega. Seeing it live is incredible. The people watching is fun. I'd go with a "Liberal Lives Matter" shirt or something and see how long it is until I get kicked out.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Days of Thunder is one of my favorite movies. If tom cruise was a driver it would be a better sport.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't been to a race in several years, but I've been to Atlanta, Charlotte, Talladega, Martinsville and Darlington. Going to the race is fun for all the reasons you started describing as you think it'd be. The actual race, though I'd rather watch at home than sit in the grandstands. Make sure you have a scanner, though. A lot more fun to be able to hear the drivers and crew chiefs cursing.

I took a friend to the Darlington race, probably 15 years ago now. He was expecting it to be all redneck and gross. The group we were with kept trying to convince him otherwise. As soon as we walked in to the ticket gate, this huge guy with no shirt and overalls, holding a giant turkey leg in each hand, gnawing on one, walked by. We all just burst out laughing. So much for convincing him otherwise. He did have fun, although the buckets of beer probably helped with that.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's basically a mix of a bonfire party and a frat party without all the stuffiness, and with, in some cases, human dignity abandoned. The area around the track is a giant carnival, plenty of fun stuff to do. If you go with a few people who also don't give a shit about the race you can do that instead for the first 400 laps and then just watch the end. Plus, it's BYOB all the way up to the stands. None of the normal regulations you see at other sporting events.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In case you turned off the TV as soon as the producers started making their speech . . . there was an update to Best Picture.
    [​IMG]

Stolen from Twitter @docwhofan1138

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I liked the part where he battled Lyle Alzado.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It seems like Spring is here... it's sunny and warm out, the buds on the trees are growing out, the neighbour and I seeded our lawns... I can only think that there's still a few heavy dumps of snow on the way soon.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lucky bastard. This is the longest it has been this cold in forever around here. I don't think I have seen +5 degrees since mid November.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Long-term forecast is still showing mostly unseasonable warmth.

It borderline creepy. No ice, no snow, no SNOWBANKS. The only snow I've seen in this city is where the Zambonis dump their load behind the arenas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.