Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009-10 NHL Postseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Vanilla, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The Hawks are Ken Jennings to San Jose's Alex Trebek. They just seem to have an answer for everything the Sharks throw at them.

2. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Went 1 for 2 with my picks last round (though not even close w/ the # of games).

Chicago over Philly in 5.

Before the conference finals, I had a disagreement with my friend. He said if San Jose lost to Chicago, it would be a choke. I argued that if they went to 6 or 7 games, that'd be fine. Getting swept though? Choke.

Also, anytime a Philadelphia team is close to winning a championship, I am forced to cheer for the opposing team. That aggression will not stand, man.

3. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've never cared for the Flyers, but this year's team has been awesome to watch. I always liked Danny Briere and the Sabres never should have let him go. Mike Richards is a playoff warrior. Love how that guy plays. That being said...Hawks in 5, maybe 6. This just feels like the year of the Hawk. If you've been a lifelong Hawks fan, or even a fan before Toews and Kane were drafted, good on ya. You deserve this. Special mention goes out to the Maple Leafs, who will now be desperately rooting for Philly lest they become the new team in the NHL with the longest Cup drought.

4. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Blackhawks in 5. Habs didn't have the offense to beat the Flyers, but the Blackhawks do.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm shocked so many of you are giving the flyers a chance to win any games.

6. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Couple of hours away. I'm going with 4-1 Chicago. What do you think?

7. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We will see a lot of Chicago attacking over the next week or so, so it will be up to Leighton/Boucher to win it for the Flyers. They may stand on their head, but the volume of shots and chances they are going to face will eventually break them. Chicago in 5 or 6 at the most.

8. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Chicago has the lamest goal-song in the entire league. Whenever I hear it I picture people skipping down the street. That song has no place in a hockey arena.

I also wasn't expecting 8 goals halfway through the first game.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is no way the Flyers will win these high scoring affairs. If we score 6 they will score 7 ect......they have to keep the score lower.

10. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not sure how I feel about this game now that I'm not drunk and all charged up. I'm a Flyers fan, living in Chicago, and watched this game at a Philly bar on the North side. It was a wild night, everything was fun except the end. Especially when they put the Phillies on before the 2nd period started so we could watch Halladay finish his perfect game. It could have been a great night for Philly sports.

At any rate, the Flyers will get taken down fast if they keep trying to play at this pace, and I just hope Laviolette makes effective adjustments. I'm glad they hung in there, but damn, the Hawks are fast. I walked away from the game thinking that it was no big deal the Flyers lost the game, since they were "supposed" to lose it. They still have an opportunity for a split tomorrow night, but man, when I realize how close they were to stealing game one, it stings more than last night.

It is very odd being in a city that I don't care about during a championship run, especially when my home town team is the opponent. I was still living in Philly when the Phillies won the World Series in 2008, and it was an unbelievable experience. Crowds in the streets, excitement all around. Now I see that same excitement building in Chicago and I feel like I'm on a different planet.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought pulling the goalie was a terrible decision. He didn't give up any "weak" goals, and he had faced almost twenty shots when he got pulled. I don't know if the idea was to give the team a boost or what but I did not agree with it at all.

<a class="postlink" href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37420507/ns/sports-nhl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37420507/ns/sports-nhl/</a>

12. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

31 out of 33 teams to go up 2-0 win the cup.

Could the Flyers luck have run out?

We'll see.

13. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At least you didn't hop off the bandwagon... yet.

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope the thing that stops the Flyers bandwagon is Carcillo's corpse getting stuck in the wheels. Dude is such a monumental twat.

15. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Absolutely. I'd actually like to see the Flyers make a series out of this. It'd make for a fun story. But Daniel Carcillo can suck a dick. There aren't many NHL players who I legitimately hate, but he's one. Him, Sean Avery and Maxim Lapierre come to mind.

16. thefish

thefish
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I used to hate Carcillo. But then I played the Stanley Cup drinking game with friends last night, which includes a rule "drink whenever Carcillo exaggerates a hit or injury." I ended up passing out on the couch. So he is useful for something.

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't really say I'm on the bandwagon. I didn't think we could beat the Devils or Bruins but thought we could beat the Habs.

I think if we win two games against the Hawks it would be a miracle but this is a team who came back from 3-0, and 3-0 in a game 7, so I won't count them out.

I sure as shit wouldn't bet on them either.

18. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Would like to see this series go to 7, but really just want to see more of Richards killing people.

#178 Zazz, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amazing. The Hawks have so much control in their own Zone but just couldn't put the puck in.

Another win from heart and hustle. The first goal was just a hustle play, stripping a player behind the net and then putting it on goal before anyone had a chance to react, just awesome. The third philly goal was one of the best in the playoffs.

Regardless how this series turns out everyone is proud of the this Flyer team, guts, grit and heart has taken us for an unbelievable ride, that almost no one could have predicted.

20. PoppaBear

PoppaBear
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I put this in the drunk thread, much more applicable here.

Yelling PRONGER BLAST!!! After every shot he takes is amazingly awesome, you should try it sometime. Like now.

Does anyone else like how amazingly dirty Pronger is??? Lose a couple of front teeth, and he becomes eerily similar to Bobby Clarke-and I don't mean looks-wise. He is so fucking dirty, and I love it, used to think he'd be a weakness on our team but all doubts have been reversed. He toes that line hard, but toe it he does. He knows exactly what he's doing.

#180 PoppaBear, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015