Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you guys really think you have a chance? I'm not being a dick either, I'm serious. The jet defense is amazing and Terrell Revis is the best I have seen in a long time, but Sanchez threw for 100 yards, I know their rushing game is excellent but is it enough?? The Chargers missed three kicks, two of them should have been automatic. As much as the Chargers lost the game the jet's earned it with great coaching, running, and defense. However can they really beat the Colt's at home?

Allot of NFL fan's are a tad disappointed because we wanted the Charger/Colt showdown, I just hope the Jet's didn't win only to get blown out. I still would like to see a good game.

I wouldn't bet on the Jet's, but I wouldn't have bet on them last week either.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm unsure as hell to make any calls on this Jets Colts game. Peyton only has been in the Superbowl once for a reason though. Does Caldwell's defensive genius show up in this game? Can Sanchez get the game going? 100 yards? That's terrible. Then again, can the Colts speedy but fragile D handle a truly dedicated running game? Unlike Baltimore, the Jets have no illusions about their QB, they are well aware. Also, Reevis is only one man, even though Rex did show he was going to move him around and even put him on TEs. So many questions, we can only sit and watch.

3. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The Jets team looks like a better version of this years Ravens team, with the exception of the QB. They have a very strong o-line, and they have 2 great running backs who can really punish you if you don't tackle well. They have a very good defense with a shut down corner who looks even better when a well designed blitz scheme is employed to force the QB to hurry his throws.
    The Colts are a great team - they are a team that doesn't do anything particularly well, or anything particularly badly. They just play solid football in all phases of the game for 60 minutes, and they rarely make mistakes. That's a pretty tough combination to beat, which explains why they have won every football game they've made a 100% effort in this year.

Does this mean the Jets have no chance? Not at all....it's a fantastic example of the any given sunday adage. If the Jets play mistake free football, and the Colts turn the ball over a couple of times, then they have an awesome chance of winning.
    If the Colts play mistake free football, then I don't think it matters what the Jets do. If manning gets in a groove, and the Jets can't force him to hurry his throws, then he'll pick them apart....the same can't be said for Sanchez.

I am expecting the Colts to win, but I don't think it's a guaranteed thing by any measure. The Jets got to this game for a reason - they're good at what they do. I just don't think it will be good enough unless they get some help along the way, which is usually what the Colts are good at not doing.

4. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, I'm a Jets fan. I expect nothing. Ever. I'm still not convinced this is real. I am fully prepared to watch them get run over on Sunday. It wouldn't be the first time the Jets picked their fans up and then dropped us. I'm used to that shit. Sure, I'll be pissed about missing the Super Bowl, but we're going to the AFC championship with a rookie QB and a first-year head coach. This is going to be the first offseason in a long time that I'll be able to get excited about next year, regardless of Sunday's outcome.

That said, I absolutely think they can win. It'll be ugly as fuck, but it's entirely possible. They have this awesome tendency to capitalize on their opponents' mistakes, and if they can motivate their offense early, they have a solid chance of winning.

I love that they've dashed America's hopes for the Clash of the Titans. I fucking hate Philip Rivers, and watching his doofy ass walk off the field Sunday filled my heart with joy. I hope we do the same thing to Manning on Sunday. I hope against hope that the Vikings beat the Saints, so that I can watch the Jets parade down Broadway with Farve's head on a fucking pike come February.

Cautious optimism. That's the name of the game.

5. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Jets fans here have been so cocky, it's amazing. Their swagger comes from watching Sexy Rexy, but I guess he knew what he was talking about. Of course, if Kaeding makes some field goals and Antonio Gates catches some balls things may have gone the other way, but that didn't happen. I'm rooting for the Jets as I've been watching the games with Jets fans, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get blown out by 2+ touchdowns.

6. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Really? You wouldn't see a Colts/Vikes Super Bowl being just as exciting? I know how much you hate Favre but you have to admit just the QB battle alone would be amazing, never mind the defence that the Vikes bring. Plus you have AP so in my mind you would have one hell of a showdown.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one who sorta-kinda wants to see a Jets-Vikings Super Bowl, with a Brett Favre stat line of 2/17, 0 TD, 5 INT, 7 sacks, and 2 Fucked-in-Half ACLs?

On a more serious note, the Colts need to win this weekend, if only to prevent the onslaught of every journalist and mouth-breathing NFL fan saying "I told you so" in regard to the week 16 game against the Jets. All this nonsense about "they should have gone for perfection ZOMG!!!!" needs to die.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

AP can be shut down, sure. He's always depended on breaking a long one or two. The problem with him is that lately, Chilly has been moving to the air if AP doesn't get 6 YPC on his first two or three rushes.
    Sidney Rice can catch any ball thrown to him, even tightly covered. He led the league in catches of 40 or more yards. Percy Harvin is the second best open field runner on the team only to AP. He led the team in successful third down receptions. Visanthe Shiancoe is a nightmare matchup in the red zone. He led the team, and all NFL TEs in TD catches. Not to mention Berian. As far as the 7 TD receivers, Favre has thrown TDs to 8 people this year. None of those eight was AP or Jim Kleinsasser, who've been known to catch TDs in the past. Granted, he didn't throw seven in one game, but he didn't have to.
    Yards allowed: MN 6th NO 25th. Pass D: MN 18th NO 26th Run D: MN 2nd NO 21st. Pts Allowed: MN 10th NO 20th.
    Agreed on the first part, but I can't believe you think Favre of all people is going to crumble under pressure. I guess we'll see, if he gets pressure on him at all. It's not like he routinely sidesteps rushers and then makes great throws. It's not like he normally brushes off the times he does get hit as if they were nothing, even when he's hurt. It's the reason I fucking hated him when he played for GB and it's the reason I fucking love him now. Even when I hated him, I respected the fact that he is one of the greatest QBs of all time.

We may win, we may not. But Vikings/Saints is gonna be a great fucking game. And either of our teams against the Colts is gonna be a great fucking game. So here's to hoping the Jets don't pull off a miracle.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Colts cannot run the ball. At all. The Jets can blitz to their artery clogged coach's heart content. Derrelle Revis is going to be bored out of his mind because I seriously doubt Manning is going to throw anything on his side of the field. Throw in constant pressure, a grinding Jets running game and Dirty Sanchez not turning it over, and the Jets have this one.

Or the Colts go apeshit and torch the Jets defense, Sanchez is forced to play catch up and we get to see Manning play against either Favre or Brees. I want to see Brees win it, not only because it'd be the Saints first Super Bowl, but because I believe Favre is a bag of dicks.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. falconjets

falconjets
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I really think that Peyton is playing on another level right now and he will just not allow his team to lose unless his defense gives up 50 points, and even then it's questionable. My analysis is not of his play, well it is but not like oh he is great against the 3-4 but the nickel gets him every time.
    Peyton is playing on a Jordan-esque level right now where every time he plays you expect him to win, if his team is down by 14 with four minutes to go you expect overtime. They have won every game this season that they tried to win and the team has looked very sharp for most of the season. Unless Peyton falls apart this weekend I can't see the Jets winning it, maybe it will be a close (and if that's the case probably ugly) game, but I can't see the Jets winning.

12. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a Pats fan I hope both the Jets and Colts play a rough, exhausting game with many injuries to both sides. Especially to Manning.

Go... Vikings/Saints, I guess.

(Saints/Colts would be a CRAZY matchup though)

13. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think SportsNation disagrees with you, but what does the rest of the country know?

However, this is my favorite map, for sure...

Attached Files:

14. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I almost spit out my hot tea reading this, not because of what it says so much as who said it. Are we in bazaaro world?

The Vikings have a chance. It's going to be a great game. I think they need get the ball to AP more. I'm not quite sure why they've gone away from that. Chip away man, 5 yards here 6 yards there and then amidst a mob of D-line players he'll eventually just pop through for a bigger run. I don't know how the hell he does it. The guy is a machine. There was a carry last week, it was only for a few yards but the guy literally carried 5 or 6 guys on his back for the yardage. Favre has several receivers he can go to, all of which are completely capable of the catch and run.
    Really since GB is out I have nothing in any of these match ups but, what team do you think GB fans are watching now? Yeah.

I hope the Vikes blow Drew Brees' skirt up. But if they don't seeing the Saints make it would still be ok...I guess.

15. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the thing that Chilly hasn't realized: Favre has done wonders in spreading the ball around and the best way to effectively run is to use tha to our advange. Don't lineup in the full (2 TE set) and try and run up the middle. Not going to work (and it hasn't all year). This is why Chilly has gone away from it; he sees it falter and quickly switches to passing (like someone pointed earlier). The Vikes need to consisently line up in 3-4 WR sets and run with a five-six man line. Use play actions and screens and this works. I think anyone who watches every Vikes game (iczorro I'm looking at you) will tell you that this is when AP and Chester are most effective (and explosive).

Another thing I've noticed: when Minny's O-line has less help, and thus more dependent on better individual play, they are FAR better. When there's double-teaming they get lazy and think they other guy has it taken care of.

When it comes down to it, this game is going to be awesome. NO has the better offense, MIN has the better defense. That matchup is going to be huge. I think whoever wins that matchup will decide the game. Whoever wins this game is who I'm rooting for in the SB. I've been saying NO is scary all year, and frankly I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all, after the Vikes of course. I'm just surprised how many of you are saying that the only way the Vikes have a chance is if New Orleans plays horrible - I completely disagree with that and the stats back me up.

16. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If the Vikings front four plays like it did last weekend, Brees won't be able to hit a receiver. We were in the backfield in less than a 3-step drop. Romo is supposed to be one of the better improvisers in the league, whereas I don't think Brees is known for being an out-of-the-pocket type guy.

We don't give up the deep ball because our scheme isn't designed for that.

As for your receivers, I'd put ours up against yours almost any day.

AP is a product of the offensive line not opening up holes. When he gets holes, he's a monster, as always. I think the Vikings have led the league in getting hit behind the line of scrimmage, nothing AP can do about that.

Everyone's been waiting for Favre to choke the whole season. It hasn't worked out that way as of yet. The team is playing so loose, it's hard to imagine us completely failing given the weapons we have on offense and defense.

I'm hoping it's a good game.

17. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

This.

Brees is a great quarterback to say the least but once he gets flushed out of the pocket and isn't allowed to make his reads the way he wants, he is a different quarterback. Not looking at weeks 16 and 17, From week 10 and on, other than the Patriots (yeah...) and the Bucs, the Saints only won by less than one TD. Then there were the Cowboys. In most of these cases they were come from behind wins as I recall. This isn't because the Saints as a team are bad but because Brees simply does not cope well under consistent pressure. Which is why I think Jared Allen is going to be a huge factor in this game, even more so than the Williams Wall.

18. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I also think that Allen and Edwards are going to be a bigger factor than the wall, as rumors have it the NO guard tandem are the best in the business.

19. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Really?

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/3856/brees-ryan-thriving-when-pressure-is-on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... sure-is-on</a>

We may be talking apples and oranges. Brees is great against the blitz. He goes through his progressions as quickly as any QB in the game. If you're saying the key to beating the Saints is blitzing Brees, I disagree.

If you're saying that Brees is not good when his protection breaks down, well, ok. With Demarcus Ware coming off the corner untouched, you're right. He is not very good in that situation. He is not a big guy like Roethlisberger, and he is not a really mobile QB like Rodgers. He is not a statue like Warner either, but you're right, he is less mobile than some QBs.

And seriously, the Saints only won by 7 points or fewer? Didn't they put that to rest last week when they trounced the Cards? Didn't everyone see how important to the Saints it is to have their 2 starting corners healthy? If the Saints have a major weakness, it's depth. They are not deep in the secondary, and they need Sharper and Harper, Greer and Porter to be healthy. Considering 3/4 of those guys missed time during the stretch you're talking about, and considering they basically shut Warner and the Cards down (actually had 2 INT's, one called back on roughing the passer, and only 14 points allowed, and only 7 points allowed after the first 30 seconds of the game) haven't they nullified your stats?

20. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between pressure and blitz. A blitz is bringing extra guys, which with a fast read, will reveal someone uncovered or better that you can get the ball to. Pressure is what happens when the defensive line schools the O line and gets to the QB, leaving the LBs and secondary to cover their guys.

Which is why, if Jared Allen and Ray Edwards get around the tackles, it's gonna be a bad day for Brees. Of course, McKinnie vs Will Smith going the other way isn't a matchup I like, but he held together pretty good against Ware last week. Favre is slippery enough to make one or two guys miss in the backfield, as well.

No. Stats don't get nullified. Stats show trends. Granted, personnel changes will effect how those trends relate to on field reality. I don't see how the change in defensive personnel affected some of the just plain flat games that Brees had this year. I had Brees as my fantasy QB and I remember him seriously letting me down four or five times.