Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

What QB is good when his O-line gets smoked? Luckily, the Saints have 3 pro bowlers on their O-line (and another guy who is an alternate), so I don't expect that to happen.

Brees moves around as well in the pocket as Favre. You don't watch the Saints play, so I don't expect you to know that, but he is actually really quick. Brees was a stud tennis player growing up. He is a natural athlete.

Which games were those? Because last I checked, Brees

1. Led the league in TD's, despite playing one fewer game than Favre
    2. Set an NFL RECORD for completion percentage while leading the league in TD's,
    3. Threw for over 4,000 yards, and
    4. And was the #2 fantasy qb, behind only Aaron Rodgers who benefited from a lot of rushing TD's.

All this, one season after throwing for 5,000 yards.

This is the problem with fantasy football. It does not tell the story of the game. Brees threw for under 200 yards 3 times all season. The Saints won all 3 games. They were against the Bills, the Bucs, and the Jets.

Against Buffalo, the Saints rushed for 200 yards and 2 TDs on the ground.
    Against the Jets, the Saints rushed for around 130 yards and 1 TD
    Against the Bucs, the Saints rushed for over 160 yards and 2 TDs

Do you think Brees had bad games, or do you think the Saints just controlled the game by running the ball?

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I wonder how much affect Favre having some playoffs under his belt will have. All in all, I just want it to be a really good game. If the Vikings win I'll be happy...ier but if the Saints win, I think it's pretty cool being their first.

3. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am confused, I thought you were a Packers fan. How can you be happy if the Vikings -- the Packers biggest rival -- win the game?

4. yakbutter

yakbutter
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

She thinks Brett is a dreamboat.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I am a Packers fan but not one that hates the Vikings over what's happened, much less Favre. I'm a fan of the game above anything else. I don't just watch Packers games during the season. I watch as many games as I can because I love football, not just my team or a player. I love a good rival game too of course, I mean sure it's a rivalry but as I said earlier in the thread, with the Packers out what team do you think most of the cheeseheads are watching? Yepyep.
    Besides how can I hate my husband?

6. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am still confused by this logic. Putting aside the fact that Favre is a complete ass about this situation; I just don't see how one can root for their arch rival team. I am a niners fan but also watch as much football as I can and love watching playoffs (which obviously means that for the last few seasons, my rooting interest in the niners was a non-factor). But that does not mean I will root for the Cowboys or any other rival (not that the niners have the much in the way of a true rival like the Packers do). Most cheeseheads will be watching the Vikings game, but I can almost guarantee that few would be pulling for the vikings under normal circumstances it would be particularly hard for them to stomach seeing Favre going to the superbowl in purple. I would bet that most cheesheads are going to be Saints fans this weekend and if the Saints lose, will be Colts or Jets fans next weekend.

Now, not putting aside the Favre situation, if Joe Montana had pulled a Hamlet situation when he eventually went to Chiefs instead of doing it in a classy manner and had potentially dicked over Steve Young's development and consequently the future of the organization, I know he would not get the love that the fanbase still shows him. And if he had gone to the Cowboys of all teams, there would have been hell to pay.

7. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I have had this same discussion so many times since all that stuff went down this season I can't even count them. When I wear my Packers sweatshirt it seems that is an open invitation for any bar buttfuck to approach me and say, "So what do you think about that whole Favre thing?" I think what I think doesn't matter. I think what I think is based on my personal feelings and opinions. I'm allowed mine just as that bar buttfuck is his.

Just because I'm a fan of one team does not mean I cannot root for another, especially if mine is done. The fact it happens to be them is just that. I don't live and die by football, Packers or not. Maybe because I have boobs I don't know I take it seriously but not to the point that I feel I have to defend the teams or players I like/root for/watch to anyone, especially that bar buttfuck. A little smacktalk among friends is different than grilling someone, let alone a stranger in a bar, as to why or how they can like who they do, or watch.

I run into similar types of questions when people realize I'm not from Wisconsin nor have I ever lived or even been there. There is no rule that stats that I have to to be a fan.

We agree to disagree (or in this case as you said confuse you) which is the case with many when it comes to sports.

Annnnnnnnnd I'm done. You say drinks are on the house. I'll take a Salty Dog please, tall.

8. yakbutter

yakbutter
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Blasphemy, all of it. How my eyes bleed!

I hated Brett Favre...until he started kicking ass for my team. Now I love that man. My hypocrisy knows no bounds. I just hope we just tell him to skip training camp next year so we can forgo all the fake retirement shenanigans.

9. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

10. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I've never understood this. I've always been a Vikings fan and I've never hated Favre. I mean not only do you have to respect everything he's accomplished, but for most of his career the Vikes owned him. Remember back in the '90s when the big story was always how he could never win at the Metrodome? Remember the Vikes-Pack wildcard game a few years back when Favre's 4 picks helped the Vikes win that game 31-17? I mean personally for me it's hard to hate a player on your rival who's mostly always choked when playing against your team. Don't get me wrong I hate the Packers more than any other franchise in any sport and wish nothing more for the team to fold and the stadium to burn to the ground so I can laugh in the faces of all the fucktard cheeseheads who would probably all need to go on suicide watch because their focus in life was gone. But I've never hated any of the players on the team, especially not Favre.

11. yakbutter

yakbutter
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I hated him because he played for the Packers, duh. So they couldn't win at the Metrodome, but they still made it to 2 superbowls and won one, which is a lot more than you can say for the Vikings. He was also comically overrated for most of his career and the media never did anything besides give him a thorough ball washing. Then he was exposed as a locker room cancer prima donna, and deliberately fucked his old team and their entire fanbase by signing with their archenemies. Now I don't really hate the guy seriously, it was just really fun to root against him, especially when he would epically fail against the Vikings. I also don't really believe that he owed Green Bay shit. In a league without guaranteed contracts where they chew you up and spit you out there should be no loyalty on the player's behalf at all. But just for entertainment value it's fun to think of him as a heel.

You know what's funny, and I wish the old board hadn't been nuked so I could go back and find the evidence, but before the 2008 season I declared Favre washed up and predicted over 20 picks for the season, and was totally money. I am as surprised as anyone that he's having his best statistical year now. Favre with 7 picks on the year, playing for the Vikings? I feel like I slipped into an alternate universe.

12. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Favre wasn't on the Vikings would you still cheer for them? I'm from Philly and I could never imagine any situation that I would cheer for the Cowboys. One that comes to mind is if McNabb got traded to Dallas and they made it to the Superbowl I would probably route for him so he could get his ring.

I am always curious about people who are fan's of a team when they have no tie's to the area or are not from the city/state. Mostly because these type of fans just picked the best teams in every sport when they were a kid.....you know the bandwagon fan. I know a guy who's favorite teams are the Cowboys, Lakers, Redwings and the Yankee's. He is an embarrassment to sports.

Shegirl, I don't think anyone could accuse you of being a bandwagon fan (despite the Packer's having some good season's) but I do think I know why you support them. A young Shegirl happened to be watching football on September 20th 1992, Don Majkowski injured his ankle and was pulled off the field. It was then Shegirl saw the strong jawed, gunslinging man of her dreams, old number four came on the turf and she was a Packer's fan for life.

13. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Shut up Favre lover.

14. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Leave Brady out of this, thats all I'm gonna say.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*sigh* I can't say anything...........I'm an Eagles fan.

16. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What's with the games starting later this year? I'm assuming the network execs think games in primetime = better ratings, but come on, it's the playoffs. The ratings are going to be high anyway.

17. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am a die-hard Bills fan, but once the Bills are out of the playoffs, i.e. the last decade, I gotta root for the AFC East guys to run the table in the playoffs. That being said, if the Jets pull this off after the Colts rolled over for them week 16 (or 17), pissing everyone off and letting the Jets into the playoffs, it will be too sweet. J-E-T-S!

18. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DeAngelo Williams puts Brett Favre to shame...

I'm a Panthers fan, but go Saints! If it was Tampa Bay, or Atlanta, I'd be screaming my lungs out for the other team. But the Saints have always been all class, and seriously, the few Vikings fans I've met are on par with Cowboys fans in terms of how annoying they are.

Besides, it's been a while since we had a Super Bowl matchup of the two best teams from the regular season. Colts-Saints would be epic.

#458 JGold, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Croftie

Croftie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My stomach is in knots over the Saints game...I'm from Oxford, Mississippi, so a Saints/Colts Super Bowl would be the ultimate game for us considering the Mannings are near-gods down here.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!! WHO DAT WHO DAT WHO DAT!!!!

20. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Make that three. Its hard to believe that everyone announcing games at the beginning of this season and last season would spend 15 minutes a game talking about his ridiculous grip strength, and his hand shake of death.