Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

They just mentioned his handshake of death after his most recent fumble. Ridiculous.

In other news, the Saints are absolutely murdering Favre right now.

2. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And yet, the old fuck refuses to die.

3. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Gotta give him credit for that though. He's 40 years old and he took a fairly vicious high-low hit and came back in on the next series. He was my favorite player at one time, but his offseason shenanigans kind of ruined him for me. That being said, if he comes back and wins this game (assuming the Saints win this challenge) I will be rooting for him in the Super Bowl.

4. Stimpson J Cat

Stimpson J Cat
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What the fuck, Vikings?

Are you eating popcorn on the sidelines or something? Learn to hold on to the fucking ball!

5. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't think Thomas had enough for the first down at all, not with the ball being loose like that. However, New Orleans would have EXPLODED had they overturned the call. It seems like one of those plays where however the call was originally made was how it was going to stay -- no substantial evidence to overrule it either way.

6. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

No more Favre this season! Until the inevitable Retiregate 3.0 begins.... blah.

7. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Does he come back to the Vikings or move on with the NFL tour? Congrats to all the Saints fans. Vikings fans...welcome to the sidelines.

8. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Saints are going to have to do better than they did today on defense to beat Manning, but I will be rooting for them in the Super Bowl. Here's looking forward to a 35-31 game 2 weeks from now.

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

WHO DAT ON EARTH SAY DEY GON BEAT THEM SAINTS??!!?!?!

Sorry..I've been waiting a long time to say that.

10. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

........................ Yay!

11. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You better fucking win.

12. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I lost 15 years off of my life after that game. Holy Jesus it was awesome, too bad it had to end like it did.

I need to bitch about a couple of things
    1) 12 men in the huddle. Really? That completely turned the game. Instead of Longwell getting a chance at a 45-50 yarder, Favre throws a pick on the next play.
    2) I hate fumblitis.
    3) The PA call in OT was complete bullshit. That ball was uncatchable and him turning around is what caused him to lose his balance, not the defender.
    4) How did they not rule that catch as imcomplete in OT? That boggles my mind, you can see the ball move as it hits the ground. I know the ball is allowed to touch the ground, if you have complete control, however he did not.

Well, I'm going to go cry now. I still haven't seen the Vikes go to a Super Bowl in my lifetime, only two heartbreakers and a blowout in NFC championship games. Good luck in Miami, New Orleans, you're the team of destiny this year it seems.

EDIT - If anyone says that Favre cost the Vikes the game, you will be getting an immediate red dot from me. Favre was pummeled all night, played hurt, and still played really fucking well. He was the least of the Vikes concerns.

13. utgjohn

utgjohn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's how I felt last week when Ray Edwards molested Mr. Romo.

I was just wondering if the NFL can get a group of competent officials for the Super Bowl. The OT PI was totally uncatchable.

14. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honest question, and I want an honest answer:

Beside the threat of fines, what is stopping a team (say, the Saints) from starting the game with a 3rd string defensive end under specific instructions to seriously injure the opposing quarterback (say, Favre) as early as possible?

Yeah, it'd be cheap, but it's a business and I've seen players do worse. So what's to stop a coach? Obviously, he'd have to get the player to agree to stay silent about the instructions to head-hunt (which is a gamble), and the player could potentially be fined quite a bit for a late hit, but that'd be the worst of it assuming they don't care about reputation. And hell, if they had a bad rep, Jerry Jones for sure would sign them!

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Favre didn't necessarily cost them the game, but he sure as shit didn't help that much. With that last decision, he should have ran the ball to at least get the 5 yards back, or at least thrown it away. Just don't turn the ball over, that was his ONLY job there. Even a 56 or 57 yard try, while a very long try, might've still been at least slightly possible. I will say that I rather enjoyed watching Farve get beat around like a fucking pinata.

That being said, though, AP and the fumblitis cost the Vikes the game. They shot themselves in the foot, repeatedly. Favre had 2 picks, but the question is whether or not he would've had to throw the ball NEARLY as much if AP could hold on to the ball enough that Childress could have even the slightest amount of confidence in him. AP has the ability to make astonishing plays, but until he gets those fumbles under control, the Vikings are going to have trouble. They need him... NEED him... in games like today's game, and when he drops the ball like he did today, they're fucked. It forces Favre to have to throw the ball 40 to 50 times, and while Favre is good, everyone and their mother knows that when he has to throw the ball that much, he is going to get picked off at least once. That is how Favre plays, he tries to make the plays and make throws, sometimes ill advised, and everyone knows it. Favre + AP on top of his game without fumbles = unbeatable. Soon as AP starts to fumble, Favre feels he has to force it more and throw it more, and the result is a downhill spiral of turnovers.

I'll say that the Pass Interference call was questionable, at best.

Now, in the end, I am thrilled the Saints won. Brees is a genuinely awesome guy. I met him when I was working at a summer sports camp at Purdue, and he could not have been a nicer guy. When the camp was about to lose its funding, he stepped up and funded the camp himself, and got more involved and helped get some other sponsors. Overall, it couldn't happen to a better guy. Colts are my 2nd favorite team. I grew up in Northwest Indiana, so its always been Bears country around here, but the Colts have always been a close 2nd, and they've been the AFC team I root for. In the end, no matter who wins the Superbowl, I can't say I'll be disappointed. It should be a great, great game.

16. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The Commissioner of the NFL can take away a team's draft picks and also force them to forfeit the game. I can't think of any time these penalties have ever been enforced, but in theory they could if the play was blatant. In addition, it would break an unwritten rule among the players. You could be pretty sure your own quarterback (or star player) would face reprisal. It'd be like throwing at a batter in baseball or the enforcers in hockey.

17. cllrbone11

cllrbone11
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just wish I could have put money on Favre throwing a late pick. Was anyone surprised by this?

18. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Sucks how for the last three years if I'm not mistaken, Favre had to finish the season (and potentially his career) on an interception in the playoffs.

19. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The thing that kills me -- I'm a Packers fan, but still love Favre. Suck it -- is that when he rolled out, he easily had the 5 penalty yards back, plus some, at his legs' disposal in order to set up the game-winning FG. I honestly saw no reason to throw that ball. If he continues running, Longwell has an attempt for approximately a 48 yarder or so, definitely his range.

However, by NO MEANS do I think Brett cost the Vikes the game. Save that one play, he played his ass off amidst constant pressure and inopportune turnovers. Another tough way to go out. Just as one play never truly "wins" a game, one play never truly "loses" a game.

I, for one, hope Brett Favre returns nest year, hopefully without the offseason drama.

20. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I recall, he didn't finish up with the Jets by throwing a pick. Certainly not in the playoffs at least.

In other news... Fuck.