Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Idaho_Vandal

Idaho_Vandal
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It was a shitty way for Farve to go out (maybe) redoubtably.

However, how can anyone not be excited for the Saints and the Colts playing in the Super bowl? Brees verses Manning is going to be amazing!

2. yakbutter

yakbutter
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Classic Vikings, classic Favre.

Go ahead and red dot me. Favre did cost them that game. What other QB tries to make that throw with 10 open yards in front him? He's an exceptionally talented dumb motherfucker. Not to mention the first pick which was almost as bad.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we just witnessed one of the greatest collections of quarterbacks to ever face each other in the playoffs. Manning, Brady, Favre, and Kurt Warner are all in discussions for best of all time. Brees is certainly making his mark, I'm a believer in Sanchez (next year he will have a rough time, but I think he will be one of the elite's over the next few years), and McNabb, Rogers and Rivers are certainly top-tier players. The only qb I felt that should have been there is Roethlisberger, who I feel is hated upon consistently (he's not pretty or smart, but he has 2 rings and is the youngest ever to win the big one).

With that being said, the NFC has recently won only 3 Super Bowls, going back to the Broncos back-to-back runs in 98/99 (Rams, Bucs, Giants). The AFC has been pretty dominant, and I'd like the Saints to pull one out, but they are going to have to do something pretty spectacular. Smart money is on Manning leaving Miami happy with another ring, possibly MVP.

4. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Completely agree. I'm really pulling for the Saints even though they just gave my team the second most crushing defeat I've experienced (next to the 98-99 NFC Championship where we lost to ATL in OT off of a Gary Anderson missed FG). The Saints have been great all year, and I really like Sean Payton as a coach, and Brees as a leader. They have done amazing things with that community post-Katrina and have been a great rallying point for everyone in LA.

What I wouldn't do to have a coach like Payton instead of the pedo-esque Childress.

Manning has 3 very good receiver options and a running game that can at least take some pressure off. If Indy D plays an above average to great game, I think Colts win by 10. If the D plays average against NO, I think it's a shootout.

Jesus, what's going to happen next year when Manning gets A-Rod back? 4 good WRs. Yikes, they won't even need to have a starting RB, just go straight to 4 WR set (ok, not really, but still).

5. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

1. Totally agree. That was THE play that sent the game to overtime. The INT was just a continuation of that play. No 5 yard penalty, no INT.

2. What a sloppy game. I saw a replay of one where it looked like Porter punched it out of Harvin's hands and just made a great play. Other than that, Reggie's was pretty inexcusable, although the guy was just trying to make a play. AD's red zone fumble was a killer.

3. 2 of the personal fouls/roughing the passer calls were complete bullshit. One on the reverse where Favre threw a block. The other on Hargrove where he had him wrapped up as Favre threw the ball and took him to the ground. His head was on Favre's side, and he could not have possibly seen that Favre had thrown the ball. The Saints did get a make-up non call on the high/low hit though.
    Also, when the ball lands in bounds, it's hard to say it was definitely, 100% uncatchable, especially when the DB mugs Thomas like that and has no idea where the ball is.

4. I was at the game, could not tell if Meachem definitely caught that ball. Hartley's field goal looked like it would have been good from about 70 though. Not saying they would definitely have attempted it from the 35, but who knows. They also would have had 3rd down to try to get 5-6 yards to make it a more manageable field goal.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

And I wasn't even here.

I could go on and on about the game, the picks, the drops, the calls on the field and from the booth but all that would do is make my cheeks red, my blood pressure rise and my keyboard go clickity clack so instead, I'll let all of you post your words of hate and I told you so's while I say two things:
    1. He played a hell of a game, and season for that matter.
    2. Much luck to the Saints. I hope they make Peyton cry*.

*Not because he gets hurt. Real fans wish no ill on opposing players in order to help theirs win the game. Duh.

EDIT:
    No I don't. What should have happened is he should have been able to go to AP with confidence time and time again. That didn't happen, AP's drops forced the ball into the air (where it wasn't much better). His ankle had nothing to do with him throwing that last pick. Him forcing the ball into too tight of coverage did. I'll never understand why the fuck he didn't just slide or run the out of bounds or or or.....bah.

7. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it too early to start with the Katrina jokes? Because the irony of New Orleans playing in the Super BOWL is killing me. Not that I don't like them, I just don't think they can hold their heads above water against these Colts

8. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will agree that one of the roughing the passers was pretty garbage. The other was warranted (where you say Favre was throwing a block - he wasn't even looking at the defender he was watching the runner). I'm really surprised they didn't call the Brady Rule when Favre got hit low on his ankle... The defender definitely made an extra lunge to get to his ankle.

But like everyone's said, you can't win with 5 turnovers. The Berrian and Harvin fumbles were the most crippling, at least the AP fumble before half negated a lucky play when Bush pulled his idiot move.

9. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So you're ready to crown the Sanchize as a future elite player, yet arguably this years two best quarterbacks, Aaron Rogers, and Philip Rivers, are just top tier players, and more importantly grouped in with DONOVAN MCNABB? What makes you say Rogers and Rivers are not elite?

10. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

On what basis are you claiming that Rodgers and Rivers were this year's 2 best QB's?

11. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fantasy stats, duh.

And yes, I am totally kidding ... Hopefully that will NOT be the rationale.

12. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't agree that they were THE best, but they did finish #3 and #4 in QB rating this year, which counts for something, especially since they did it behind a weak O-line (Rodgers) and with the second-worst rushing offense in the NFL (Rivers). Not to mention they carried their teams much more than Sanchez or McNabb did.

I think you meant to say "incredibly awesome." According to MileHighReport.com, he did more than that:

13. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

They're both great QB's, probably top 5, up and coming studs, potential hall of famers... the works, no doubt. Just wondering how he arrived at his conclusion that they were the 2 best. In my opinion, the 3 best QBs this year, in no particular order, were Favre, Manning, Brees. Based on their stats. Based on their teams' success. Based on their leadership. Based on their value to their teams. I think it's safe to say that the Vikes are the only team with even a remote shot at the playoffs without Favre at QB. The Colts and the Saints might be .500 teams w/o Manning/Brees. I think you have a valid argument for proclaiming any of those 3 "the best," right now, for what that's worth. Not sure what kind of argument you could make for Rodgers or Rivers who both had less impressive stats than those 3 guys (for the most part) and both went 1 and done in the playoffs.

14. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reports indicate that the Colts will take the field to the sound of "Rock You Like a Hurricane."

In related news, Heineken has signed on as the partner sponsor for the 2010 Superbowl.

15. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't know exactly when Katrina turned into a national joke, but if you're going to make fun of something that took the lives of many New Orleanians, then at least be funny.

16. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Is there going to be any actual Probowl caliber players, playing in the probowl this year? This game looks like it's going to be an even bigger joke than usual, this year.
    Already we're missing all the Colts and Saints players, by virtue of the superbowl. Half the Vikings players have declined their invitations, we're down to Vince Young and David Garrard on the AFC squad. Is there any point to even playing the game at this point? Clearly the players don't give a fuck about it, other than the boost to their next contract negotiations.
    Why not just name the probowl squads for the sake of post season honors, and leave it at that?

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was worth a shot at least to do it before the superbowl however. Usually noone watches it except gamblers because it is anti-climactic, now it's at least on TV while football is still on everyone's minds.

The thing they did that upset the players was taking it out of Hawaii, Miami? None of the players want to go there.

Kratos are more people upset about the int. or the twelve men in the huddle? Favre had a great game and a great season I would have been much more pissed about the penalty.

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I know you're not asking me but I'm still going to respond as I'm sure he will too. I'm finding it's more leaning towards the penalty. That stupid freakin' penalty that shouldn't ever be called outside highschool ball because the entire team and coaching staff should never allow it to happen in the first place. 12 men? In a championship game? Really? Pay attention for God sake, it's kind of important.

The penalty caused the loss of yards, taking them out of field goal range (for the most part I mean Longwell is good and all but...). All of it coupled with the noise level caused them to finish the series totally out of sync hence the int.

The game was over when they didn't win the toss though, we all know it.

19. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Plus they had just called a fucking timeout! 12 men after a timeout? What an epic fail. Without that penalty there is no INT because they just run the ball.

That said, Favre still shouldn't have made that throw. He's been in the league 19 years and he still makes rookie mistakes. I don't think the noise level caused them to be out of sync, Favre just went Favre, after his pump fake his eyes were downfield on Rice the entire time. Tuck it and run or dump it off to Berrian who was coming across 5 yards in front of Favre toward the sideline.

20. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here in MN (at least in my group) we've been way more pissed with the 12 men in the huddle. That is such a bonehead error to be made at a critical time, it's baffling.

Welcome to Brad Childress and the "Kick Ass Offense". That was the most irritating part. They looked clueless AFTER the timeout. That falls solely on Childress.

I almost threw the remote through my parents' TV at that point. My mom tried yelling at me a good three times. I acted like a complete pyschopath.

(no, I do not live with my parents, I'm 25 and own my own condo)