Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Can Childress and promote Fraizer before he gets hired away

(I may be biased since Fraizer was a Colts coach on their Super Bowl run).

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The strongest arm in football could not have made that throw. Across his body, off his back foot with a bum hamstring.......no not even Favre can do that.

3. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, Gregg Williams is a piece of shit...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-the-saints-want-to-injure-manning/?related=1

I'm all for hitting the QB and bringing blitz pressure, but by saying this you're actively telling your players that it's ok to take some cheap shots, and deal with the penalties, to get a star out of the game. After doing some research, apparently this isn't the first time he has come out in saying something like this either.

I was rooting for the Saints, I'm rethinking that position.

4. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If the saints do take that approach, then they better hope that they do knock Manning out of the game, because if they don't, he's going to eat them alive with all those 15 yard penalties. The guy is pretty fucking tough - remember that hit he took in Washington a few years ago when he got hit high and low, and got bent in half? Not only did he shake it off, but in the next quarter he threw 3 touchdown passes. They won't be able to take him out, unless someone deliberately cheap shots him. I get the feeling the officials aren't going to miss too many roughing the passer calls after last weekends championship game, especially since the NFL has admitted the calls were missed.

5. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Come on, you're a smarter football fan than that. This just in: Greg Williams is treating QB's like football players who have helmets and shoulder pads and are susceptible to being tackled.

Williams is just admitting what is the goal of every single defensive player on the field every time they get a shot at an offensive player - knock his ass on the ground. That's the mentality. Every NFL player I have heard talk about this, everyone on ESPN, NFLN, even Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd, have said just that.

Williams is going to send blitz after blitz at QBs. If you don't want your Qb to get hit, run the ball or protect him better. It's the same thing every other team in the league does, the Saints just have a knack for getting to the QB and making him pay for it.

They said one call was missed on the high/low hit. It was obviously a make up call for the ticky tack call on Hargrove when he tackled Brett Favre as Favre threw the ball away. the reason for that flag was that Favre's legs came off the ground during the tackle. The exact same thing happened later in the game on a hit on Brees and was not called.

6. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like I said, I'm all for hitting the QB, legally. Here's the difference: you don't go out with the intent to injure. That's pretty bush-league and almost seems like it would be against player code to do something like that. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Also, even if players all do go out with intent to injure, how fucking stupid are you to come out and say that in public if you are a coach? Add the NFL referees admitting that they missed a call, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints take a couple big roughing the passer penalties on Manning.

If Gregg Williams gets the rep of being a cheap ass, the Saints go 9-7 next year and are the most penalized team in the league.

7. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't think that is what he said, but really, you're splitting hairs. Every hit a football player makes is with the intent to punish the other player, put his ass on the ground, teach him a lesson, make him think twice about coming across the middle again, running a seam route, going up for the ball, catching that quick slant, etc... Why shouldn't you treat a QB the same way? Better yet, name one defensive lineman in the league that is not going to clobber a QB any time he has the chance?

I could understand if the Saints had gone after Favre after a play was over and tried to hurt him - they didn't. They used every opportunity they had to hit him, and it worked. They got called for a few very costly penalties in the process. At the end of the game, Favre didn't want to run the ball. He threw into traffic instead. You call it dirty, I call it smart. In the end, a lot of your perception depends on what color you're wearing (as in the universal "you," not you in particular).

As far as what they will do to Manning - who knows. I'm not sure they are even going to go after him like GW says they will. Talk is cheap. He may be trying to get in Manning's head. He may be messing around. He may be trying to keep his name in the headlines so he gets that head coaching job he so desperately wants next year.

8. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He also may be painting a big old target on his defensive player's backs for the referee's to throw flags at all day. After a comment like that, how can the refs NOT be looking for any possible reason to throw a flag for an illegal QB hit. Seriously, you hit them in the head or below the knees, its a penalty. Hit them late? Penalty. I suspect that if there is even a hint of a doubt that it might've been a late/illegal hit, that flag is getting thrown now. Gregg Williams just told the world that he is telling his defense to take Manning out of the game. The MVP of the league... there is no way that the refs aren't going to be watching the Saints defense under a microscope now.

9. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Maybe. On the other hand, after the Saints just gave two legends (Warner and Favre) the beatings of their lives, I think the refs were going to be on the lookout for that anyway.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/9527/dirty-laundry-pereira-analyzes-calls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... yzes-calls</a>

And seriously. You're trying to defend a coach saying he wants his players to injure other players? That's too fucking retarded to argue with.

11. pjr808

pjr808
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Sour fucking grapes. Think about it for a second - it should have nullified an interception your Qb threw. It's not like it was pass interference that allowed Vilma to pick the ball off - Favre threw a pick and got hit, and there was a no call. It's really kind of a weak argument from the start, from that standpoint.

And it's not like the time they failed to call offensive PI on Sidney Rice when Greer had an easy INT. That actually affected the play.

<a class="postlink" href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35124511/ns/sports-player_news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35124511/ ... ayer_news/</a>

According to his brother Scott, Brett Favre sustained injuries to both wrists, both ankles and one leg in addition to having his head bruised in the NFC title game.
    "He was beat all to hell," said Scott, adding that he doesn't think Brett has made a decision on retirement yet. Scott also believes it will be difficult for his brother to walk away because of his "special bond" with Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, and Adrian Peterson.

12. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

He's just having too gosh darn much fun with those guys! Who is he going to sing pants on the ground with if he retires?

13. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

NFL.com is reporting that Dwight Freeney has a grade 3 ankle sprain, and is doubtful to play. If Freeney cannot go, this is a huge loss for the Colts. His absence will allow the Saints to roll any double team over to Mathis's side, and give them a lot more options in regards to tight end and running back play.
    Bill Polian and Freeney himself have said that he'll play, but I'm just wondering how effective he could really be. His bull rush might be ok, but I can't imagine him being able to do his spin move very effectively, or his outside speed rush. As a Colts fan, this worries me.

14. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

ESPN is reporting torn ligaments, but the Colts deny it. Of course the Colts would deny that the sky is blue if they thought it would keep the Saints from getting an edge. They aren't the most open team ever when it comes to injuries.

15. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Besides, ESPN has no other legitimate NFL news to report unless the Pro Bowl counts. Wait, it doesn't? I rest my case.

16. Uziel

Uziel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just read this and I think it might make a good discussion. I know its not the current season but I don't see anyplace else for it.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/13874/the-case-for-rice-as-the-greatest-eve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... eatest-eve</a>

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Interesting. Thoughts?

18. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think the only way he doesn't play is if he literally cannot bear weight on the foot come gameday. However, I'm guessing he'll probably be limited to pure pass rush situations to maximize what he can give. If his ankle is weak and tender, it's going to be hard for him to turn the corner on his speed rush, and for him to do his spin move effectively, so I'd look for the colts to come up with specific schemes to get him free of blocks.

19. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manning is no Brady in the superbowl, that's for sure.

Good job Saints!

20. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I could cry right now.

I never thought I'd live to see this moment. I would give my left arm to be on Bourbon Street.