Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NHL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by rei, Oct 19, 2009.

1. WendeI

WendeI
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

And you once again prove you are unable to take a joke. I never claimed inside sources on how deals went down. You Habs fans will make excuses for anything. Lighten up. Yeesh.

2. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A Leafs fan telling a Habs fan to lighten up. Oh, the irony.

As for what he said, he was pretty much correct on every count except the Hal Gill deal. Giving a human pylon 2.25 a year was not a smart idea, no matter who came up with it. Cup or not.

Then again, Toronto probably would have given him 4 million and a NTC if he had waited a few more days.

3. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the same thing. Watching him in Pittsburgh last year was rough. He seemed to get woefully out of position too many times and he isn't as physical as a guy his size is expected to be.

I went to the Caps/Pens game yesterday. Wicked fun time and I really thought Pgh was going to run away with it but man they fell apart in the 3rd. Both teams played piss poor in their own zone. The early start time and extra traveling time from Montreal in the bad weather might have played a part, but they've still given up at least 4 goals in each of the past 3 games. They get to rest for 2 days and have a 3 game home stand against teams they should beat before the Olympic break. Hopefully they can go out with a little momentum.

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gill is great on the PK but pretty useless even strength. Useful to have, not useful to pay more than two million dollars to.

5. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

6. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Man I would've killed to be at that game. I was worried I would be snowed in if I got tickets (which I was, couldn't leave my house until yesterday and now I'm snowed in again - seriously is this ever going to end?).

They actually have three away games before the Olympic break. Tonight in Montreal, then Ottawa and St. Louis. They have to win all three to tie the record for most consecutive wins (17) set by the Pens*. After the Olympic break would be the Senators to break the record.

So can they do it? I think so. Will the Olympic break hurt their momentum?

*My Flyers fan boyfriend will be quick to point out that the most UNBEATEN consecutive games is 35 by the Flyers when the league had ties (25 wins).

7. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry. I am a Penguins fan, so when I said "they" I meant Pittsburgh. I hate the Caps.

Living within walking distance of Verizon has its advantages though.

8. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sorry about that - would have been obvious if I read your post more closely. I got too excited when I thought someone else wanted to talk about the Caps, ha.

Looks like their win streak is about to be over anyway, 5-2 going into the third vs Montreal. Though the Caps were ripped off on that one goal that got overturned.

Oh well.

9. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, Dominic Moore for a 2nd rounder... The Pierre Gauthier era is shaping up to be REAL nice.

I'd like to think it's a precursor to some larger moves. Jacques Martin has a friggin hardon for Moore, doesn't he? It's two trade deadlines in a row that he's acquired him.

10. WendeI

WendeI
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

At least it's in 2011, which essentially (it's believed) is the equivalent to a 3rd this year. I just don't get how Moore was even traded for a 2nd round pick in the first place. That greedy bastard is the kind of player who's a dime a dozen, especially on a team like Montreal, who probably have guys in Hamilton who are more skilled than he is.

11. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got to say this, without being any more of a biased Canadiens fan, P.K. Subban is the real deal. Look out for him tomorrow night, especially if the 1st PP shooter is out with injury, Subban get a lot of playing time.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Penguins trade 2nd round pick for Jordan Leopold.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4956502
    Not a blockbuster trade, but it is a good move for a team that has been having troubles in the defensive zone.

Excited for the NHL to start back up.

I hope Miller gets a big ovation when he skates into Pittsburgh.

We'll also see how the break affected each team: who used it to re-group, who lost their momentum, etc.

13. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Avery mocks Talbot's fighting style:

Maxime Lapierre's cross-check to the back last night on Scott Nichol:

I found Avery funny while the Lapierre hit needs no explanation. BS play to say the least. No call on the play and I would personally suspend him 2 or 3 games.

#133 LukesBoxHero, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty ballsy of Avery, i think it's easier to mock his fighting style. You know, where he runs and hides from everyone who wants to fight him?

15. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'll ask Sherwood since I know he's probably watched a lot more Devils than me. Is Marty Brodeur washing ashore? Understanding that calling him anything less than one of the 5 best goalies ever would be heresy, I'd say that post-lockout Marty Brodeur has been great, but not for the full season. He always plays the first 50-60 games at his typical level, but he's clearly wearing down faster and seeing no fewer starts than he did a decade ago clearly affects his starts. That Calgary game was brutal. At least three of those goals were soft. Compound this with his mediocre Olympics and he looks like a tired dude right now. He'll turn 38 in May and you have to wonder how many more seasons of playing 60-70 games plus playoffs he has in him. I say two, but his workload has to be cut or he's in trouble. It's science.

I'm a Sabres fan (PirateCore on the old board) so obviously I'm grimacing, fully expecting this macabre collection of softies and primas donnas to collapse from previously contending for the top seed to, at best, losing in the 2nd round. Awesome. Ryan Miller might be the best goaltender in the league right now and I feel like every season we don't put a Cup contender out there is a disservice to him. But I will say this: If you haven't had a chance yet or your team hasn't played all its games against Buffalo yet, watch Tyler Myers. He has to be the odds-on favorite to win the Calder. Smooth as glass with surprising speed and a nice slapper. He's a 20 year old 6'8" 220 lb defenseman and he hasn't even fully developed physically. He leads the team in ice time and plays in every big situation. There's no other blue liner on this team that comes close to what this kid can do. You have to love finally getting a guy who just comes up to the pro level and gets it right away. So I'm rooting for that to distract me from the fact that if the Sabres weren't in a crappy division, they'd be struggling for their playoff lives.

16. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's the same thing with NYR and Henrik Lundqvist, but even worse because we can't make any moves with the horrible contracts Sather has set up.

17. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jimmy Howard. The one reason the Red Wings are still in the race.

18. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NHL won't suspend Penguins' Cooke

If you somehow haven't seen the hit, well here you go:

Even as a Penguins fan, this is pretty stupid. Their logic is that Richards wasn't suspended, so in the name of consistency, neither should Cooke. I've been in Pgh this week and most people on talk radio believed he should get 4-5 games. Since this is his second instance of this nature I was thinking more like 6-8 games.

Frankly, the NHL needs to create a rule saying no hits to the head, intentional and even incidental. And it shouldn't matter whether he has the puck or not. Make the rule, make it a penalty (at the very least), and make it a clear cut suspension (4 games first offense, 8 for the second, season + playoffs for the third).

#138 Arms Akimbo, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

They are in the midst of creating a rule like that as we speak. I thought Cooke deserved 5+ for sure. Brutal.

20. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The NHL had no reason to suspend Cooke for that hit based on the current rules. If Richards isn't going to get disciplined and every other guy who's pulled that crap isn't going to get a penalty, then why would Cooke? His elbow was down and he didn't jump. He just skated right through Savard's head. I don't like the hit. It's a clean hit with dirty intentions. But as the rules are, he shouldn't be suspended. I hope this new rule goes through and the head hits stop because they're unnecessary and getting rid of blind-side hits to the head doesn't compromise the integrity of the game in any way. It just stops the cheap hits that are going to turn someone's brain into jelly.