Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JR17, May 26, 2010.

1. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well,my enthusiasm has dampened a bit. Because now I'm fearing something really bad: Seeing Holland reach the final, but losing to a Germany side that plays in a way that made us famous.

On the other hand, Spain and Holland are sides who aren't tactically retarded like England and Argentina. And I also thought we would lose to Brazil, so it just goes to show our guys have some bigger balls and confidence than me.

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love being a Germany fan until the Semi/Final stages. Then it's horrible.

Argentina was playing pretty dirty and the Germans, to their credit, really didn't dive. That was a game to be proud of. Complete dominance.

The Spanish have been uninspired but their defense can play with the ball with impeccable ease and their midfield, if properly coached, can control the game.

If Germany goes down a goal, they might not be able to win it back.

Holland-Germany final would be gorgeous, but I'd prefer a Uruguay-Germany matchup... better chance of winning!

3. carl24

carl24
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I agree, almost any player in that situation would have done the same thing.

It is like fouling Kobe to prevent him from making a game winning breakaway layup. Make him earn it from the line! Why the hell would you just let him win the game? Same with Suarez, you honestly expect him to just let the ball go in?

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only that, but 9 out of 10 people would have done the exact same thing on reflex alone. I'm not sure Suarez even thought about it at the time.

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Whoaaaaa Forlan is a beast.

6. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3 - 1 Netherlands now.

It's a shame, Forlan is just so good.

7. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He really has some amazing shots.

I want Netherlands and Germany in the final. With Netherlands taking home the title but I wont be upset if Germany wins either, They have both played amazing this world cup.

8. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Nothing Uruguay could do about today; the best placed shot of the tourney, a lucky deflection, and a perfect chip for an easy header. Other than the last ten minutes, Netherlands played flawlessly.

9. PeaMan

PeaMan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I can't believe people are gushing over the Netherlands. I think they have been pretty poor all tournament and if they play like they did today against either Germany or Spain they will be crushed. When they were looking shaky at the back with the lackluster passing of most of the Uruguayans and decent, but not fantastic, off the ball running imagine what a good team will do to them.

For those who say that they held up well against Brazil, they didn't. They came bloody close to throwing that away in the first half and thanks to a lucky first goal and then the Brazilians imploding they won that. They haven't had a really tough game all tournament.

I would like them to win though. Apart from Robben and Van Persie.

10. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

First things first: I practically cried like a little bitch tonight. I don't care what people might think about this game. Whether we deserved it or not, whether we played well during this tournament or not, what the fuck ever; The Netherlands are in the fucking final! I finally get to see my country in an important final.

This feels so good. I'm part of a generation that saw Holland reach the World Cup final. I know it's just a silly game, but damn if it isn't such an important silly game. People I know are cancelling their flights because it interfereres with the final. Friends of mine don't give a shit about their graduation-presentation, because they have to witness the final the day before. Everywhere you looked in this city, this country, people were jumping up an down, singing and dancing during this game. You could spit in another guy's face, and he wouldn't even care, because we're in the final. Yes, football can turn us into savage animals who chuck tables against eachother's heads, but it can also turn us into the happiest people on earth.

I don't know what the final will bring, but I do know this: It was a hell of a ride, no matter what the football was like. Everybody has their own opinion about that. But I will gladly tell my grandchildren about this one day.

11. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dammit Spain.

If only we had Ballack, I think we'd win. Khedira sucked today.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am rooting for you, Netherlands.

The Damrak will be jumpin' tonight.

13. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll try to keep the Schadenfreude to a minimum here, I promise. But I do have a question:

I'm not saying these are your words, but this whole tournament I kept hearing things like: "Thank God Ballack isn't here, now Germany can finally play some great football because he isn't around." Like I said, I never saw you express this opinion, but if other Germans feel this way, than it feels kind of hypocritical.

I personally don't think Ballack would've made such a difference. Although Spain once again showed their deficiencies (lack of convinction in their attacks, squandering of chances), they really made Germany look pedestrian. They looked completely helpless all game long. I just hope Holland is spared that faith. But I have to admit I'm glad Germany didn't made the final. My heart couldn't take a beating by a Germany side playing like Dutchmen.

14. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They speak excellent English. This makes it easy for me to pretend they're American. The illusion is all I need. Viva la Dutch.

15. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, I'm a gigantic Ballack fan. He stole my heart in 02 and never gave it back.

*I've been hating on Khedira, Cacau and Boateng all tournament. They're all too weak to be world-class. Or maybe I'm just racist, I dunno.

Ballack would've destroyed Xabi Alonso today, instead of Khedira's half-hearted attempts to win the ball. We lost the game in midfield and it was NOT because of Schweini. Germany did look pedestrian but that's the way soccer goes, I don't mind losing this world cup (and the last two...) if I'm comfortable that we have a great shot next world cup. Muller, Kroos and Ozil are all under 21!

Holland hasn't won anything but this generation might just do it. I'd prefer the Dutch to Spain because the Barca contingent of the Spain team do not know how to lose and need to be taken down several notches. I'm looking at you Pique.

16. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I really hope Spain win it now, if just for the partying here. Also Paul the octopus decided that Spain will win.

17. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Well done for your third place Germany. They really do look a better team with Müller in it. Forlan's goal for Uruguay was world class, though.

18. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Lets go Netherlands!!! They are the underdogs but they have the heart to win their very first world cup today.

19. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a great game so far.

Maybe Netherlands has a chance now, but I expect the game to turn after a shitty breakway goal from villa.

20. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

7 Yellow cards!?!?!? Were barely 10 minutes into the second half and all I see is foul foul foul.