Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Football September Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tom Ato, Aug 30, 2010.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I agree that there is no way the Ducks had a tougher schedule. That's been a picking point as a matter of fact. The big puffed up asshole fans seem to think that that is the case while the normal ones, that are still using logic rather than riding high on the wave of no losses and are so blinded by that they aren't using reason and looking at the big picture where this is concerned, know that is not the case.

However, to completely discount them as not having a chance isn't logical either. We are still talking about a perfect season thus far. That is something you cannot discount, plain and simple. They sure as shit have a chance at taking the win. It's football guys, and college football at that, we all know you never ever know what can or will happen.

Aurburn is badass, there is no denying that but to say the Ducks don't have a chance is a little over the top. There's always a chance. That's part of why we all love it so much.

Go Ducks!

2. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think you're wrong, but you're right in that we'll have to wait and see what happens. But I can't get over the post before yours saying "if we stop Cam Newton, we win the game." That's brilliant, I don't think anyone's ever thought before.

3. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll take the three headed monster of Thomas, James and Barner over Cam Newton. Newton slows up and Auburn loses.

I think Oregon wins handily, but it should be a fun game to watch either way.

4. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is probably the best matchup in the NC since USC-Texas. Either team can win the game, but I'll take Oregon.

I just think the Ducks have the weapons to outduel the Tigers. If Oregon doesn't turn the ball over, I think it can win by 10 points. If Auburn forces a couple turnovers, however, it will be tough for the Ducks to pull it out. Auburn isn't an overmatched team that Oregon's used to facing. The Ducks can't pull the same shit that they did with the Beavers.

5. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

No shit thats why I'm saying it again. Its a shame that auburn is relying on one player to lead them to victory. I hate to say it buts its like Oregon relying on Dixon in 2007 once you lose that one player thats keeping your team together your done. Unlike this year when Thomas was out for the Washington game Costa stepped up and we killed, same with Barner stepping up for James against New Mexico (even though I dont count New Mexico as a formidable opponent).

6. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Kinda like how Texas relied almost exclusively on Vince Young in 2005?

I don't blame you guys for thinking this Auburn team can go down, of course it can. That's what everyone was thinking at halftime of the Iron Bowl this year too of course.

I'm gonna call this my last post on baiting the opposition, but like I said, maybe I'm wrong. If I am you all can tear me a new asshole, I just won't be.

7. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah the top three rushing defenses in the SEC/nation had their chance to try and stop Cam Newton. Let's see what happened.

South Carolina - First game Newton scores 5 TD's, 3 passing 2 rushing
    LSU - Auburn puts up 400 yards rushing
    Alabama - Newton decides it's time to destroy with his arm
    South Carolina (again)- Newton account for 6 TD's and Auburn sets or ties numerous SEC championship game records.

The Ducks better hope they have an answer for Nick Fairley, cause if he can run wild against SEC's country fed, road plow, offensive lineman he's gonna have a field day against a Pac-10 O-line.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

So Urban Meyer steps down from Florida the same week Denver canned McDaniels. Imagine that shit.

I think I'll just go post this to the NFL thread too.

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I must side with the Spartan.

Auburn went through a fucking murderer's row this year. Oregon played exactly one elite team, Stanford, at home. Auburn scored several less points on average, but played against FAR BETTER teams. Louisiana State, the 4th in run defense when Auburn faced them. Alabama, which is fucking Alabama, college football's probable new dynasty. Arkansas, who has Mr. Fucking Mallett, the only QB who can physically hold a candle to Andrew Luck. South Carolina, a good team with Alshon Jeffery - Jeff Maehl is no fucking Alshon Jeffery, by the way. The Oregon fans grinning at Auburn's secondary - come on. They faced Jeffery, they face Julio Jones, they faced AJ Green, a top of the 1st round talent.

They're gonna be scared of your receivers?

Anyway. Newton, on the other hand, has either been able to run or pass on all these teams he has gone against. He has led a shitload of comebacks against all comers and posted a 20-20 this season (TD's on the ground and air)...trying to stop him is gonna be like stopping Tebow in his prime. Sorry. Ain't happening.

And despite all that....

I think Oregon will be the team to push them to their limits, maybe even harder than Bama pushed them. The Quack Attack moves at lightspeed, but the Ducks looked rusty in the Rose Bowl last year against Ohio State, and I think the same thing will happen here. Auburn brings the hardware home.

10. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

With the Heisman Trophy presentation tomorrow night, I'm wondering what some of you think about how well the candidates will perform at the next level. Here's my take:

1. Cam Newton: He'll win the award tomorrow night, but I'm not so sure he'll be the real deal at the next level. His throwing motion isn't ideal, and the athleticism that makes him so great in college won't save him in the NFL.

2. Andrew Luck: I can't remember the last time I've been this sure about a quarterback prospect. This guy is the real deal in every way. From what I've seen he can make every throw, and he's as intelligent as they come. If the Panthers pass on him with the #1 pick because they have Jimmy Clausen, it will be among the dumbest decisions in recent NFL history.

3. LaMichael James: I don't think he'll be a primary ballcarrier for an NFL franchise. I haven't seen him run inside enough, and he benefits greatly from the tremendous offensive scheme he plays in. I could see him getting the ball in a few different capacities about 5-10 times a game.

4. Kellen Moore: I'd honestly like to see his type make a long career in the UFL, and I don't mean that to disrespect him. I've always felt there should be another football league for the former college stars who couldn't make it in the NFL. Hopefully the UFL can be just that someday. It would be great if that league moved its games to the spring.

OK, sorry for the Mel Kiper impression.

11. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cam Newton, during his Heisman speech: "My parents do a lot of things for me behind the scenes that go unnoticed." I died laughing.

12. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yes, you gotta love the Freudian slip. Too bad this guy is going to torch the Oregon defense, win the championship, declare for the draft next year and by 2014 all his wins will be negated when the NCAA finally realizes this dipshit was ineligible.

13. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thats some lame bullshit.

He's the best player in the country, bar none. And, honestly, the fucking hypocritical NCAA has done nothing to earn respsect from rational humans, when it is they who calmly continue to allow the BCS to run and random douchebags to profit off the players from the bowl system.

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beg to differ Tom. Cam Newton had 1,409 yards rushing, 5.8 yards per attempt and 20 rushing touchdowns. He had 2,589 yards passing and a total of 28 touchdowns by passing. Colin Kaepernick had 1,184 yards rushing, 7.2 yards per carry and 20 rushing touchdowns. Colin had 2,830 passing yards and 20 touchdowns by passing. Kaepernick beat a higher ranking team (Boise State) than any team Cam Newton beat.

I am not saying that he is better, but Cam Newton is not without a doubt the best player in college football this year. The sad part is Kaepernick only finished 8th in the voting this year.

15. binx bolling

binx bolling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

So, I am an SEC guy. I carry some very self aware bias in this discussion. I try to remain rational, though. I won't lecture here about the greatness of the SEC and how all of our women are terribly beautiful, drink brown liquor and wear sun dresses to every game. You'll easily find that elsewhere. But, Auburn is pretty special this year.

Look, the game is at a stable 3 point line towards Auburn. It's going to be close. Oregon could easily win this game. They're immensely talented and the quick back in James is something that Auburn's size advantage is going to have a difficult time defending. Auburn has struggled with 'shifty' backs all year. But I think Oregon will need turnovers and special teams fortuity (something Auburn is certainly vulnerable in) to win.

But, to say that Auburn is a one man team (Durej, sorry to reference you!) is absurd. Auburn has two All Conference/All American offensive lineman. Four of the five lineman have started a combined 150+ games (they're Seniors). They've really good receivers led by Darvin Adams who's another All-Conference performer. Auburn has a running back who was one of these can't miss players out of high school (he reminds of the Greene kid out of Iowa, now with the Jets) who broke a Freshman record for rushing yards at Auburn by a guy named Bo Jackson and a speedster in McCalleb who they run around the corner.

They have two quality, senior linebackers and another who is more talented, but may possibly have the learning disability I refer to as 'meat'. Senior safeties and experienced cornerbacks that have talent, but have underperformed this year. They have a great defensive line, led by the Lombardi Award winner, Nick Fairley. A one man team? The Lombardi Award winner. Yeah, he's dirty, but he's projected in the NFL draft as a higher pick than Newton.

Again, it's going to be close, I think. Oregon is a great football program and team this year. But, Auburn is not this 'one man team'. All that said, good luck to The Ducks!

binx

16. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It saddens my heart that I create a thread for the bowl season and people are still posting on a thread marked "September." Responding to that Heisman post probably didn't help anything, either.

In any event, you need not convince me of this one, Auburn wins 21-38, Cam Newton ascends to heaven following win.

17. atm1892

atm1892
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

You couldn't be more wrong.

Colin Kaepernick played a joke of a schedule. Yea he may have beaten a higher ranked team, but that was the only ranked team he played. Do you honestly think he would put those numbers up against SEC competition? I laugh at the thought.

18. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, I think if Colin Kaepernick played for Auburn he would have put up those exact same numbers.

19. atm1892

atm1892
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well than you're delusional.

20. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I posted about UMD [university of Minnesota - Duluth], but they won the D2 college football championship, that's back to back titles for them. What a sloppy, back and forth game. It's been awhile since I've had that much fun watching a football game.