Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Football September Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tom Ato, Aug 30, 2010.

1. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Does anyone think less of Oregon after the Ducks barely escaped with a win against Cal last weekend? Other than the first half against Stanford, last week's game against the Bears was the first time I felt Oregon could actually lose.

2. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

People didn't think less of Florida a few years ago when they lost at home to Mississippi State, I don't feel like a win on the road should make you think less of Oregon. Chip Kelly's post game interview was hilarious, they kept asking if he was worried and his response was "No, we won, that's all that matters"

3. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/25558969-41/oregon-cal-injuries-bellotti-coach.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... -coach.csp</a>

The only thing Cal did was show poor acting skills in my opinion. I haven't seen this much bad acting since the world cup earlier this year.

As close of a game as it was I have high hopes that we will stop Arizona into the grand next weekend just to prove that we deserve to be the number 1 team in the country.

4. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

From what I've seen this season, I think the Ducks are as good as the 2001 Miami Hurricanes and 2004 USC Trojans were. What Oregon has in common with those teams is it has dominated throughout the season, with the exception of one game.

Miami barely escaped in a nailbiter on the road against Boston College: .

USC barely got by Cal:

Hopefully Oregon will dominate from this point until the NC.

On another note, I'm predicting Alabama will beat Auburn. Does anyone else agree?

#164 serenohills, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is my post from awhile back...

Do I agree? Not sure, but I'm hoping for it. Poor Boise St. I defy anyone to name a team that has had one close game early in the season, blew everyone else out, and STILL dropped from their pre-season ranking.

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Pac-10 has been really schizophrenic this year. I don't trust anything any of those teams have done as an indicator or future performance.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should really know this, but as it stands, what decides who wins the big ten? It looks like Michigan St, which is sad because I really think Wisconsin is the better team (even if they lost to them).

8. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We're gonna have a three-way tie in the Big Ten (most likely) with OSU, Wisky, and Michigan State. If all three win out, I'm pretty sure OSU goes to the Rose Bowl, Michigan State goes to some crap bowl like the Capital One, and Wisky goes... fuck. I have no idea. Maybe they get the Silicon Valley Classic or something. Actually, I'm way off, someone mock me and explain it correctly. All I know is, if Ohio State loses today to Iowa, that means good things for Michigan State because we'll split the Big Ten title with Wisky (considering we beat Penn State on the road), but we'll get the Rose Bowl bid because we beat Wisconsin head-to-head. There's something I'm not factoring in with respect to BCS rankings with Wisconsin finishing higher than us if we both win out, which is bullshit because it probably means they'll go to a better bowl.

It's a clusterfuck in the Big Ten right now and I have no idea how the bowl selections are actually going to work. But there will most likely be a three-way tie.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3 way tie it is. What a rough season for Iowa. They really are a good team, just couldn't get the ball to bounce their way in the close games. I don't know what bowl they'll go to, but considering the teams that they'll likely face I'm sure they'll annihilate whoever they play.

10. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll take a 3 way tie. Hell, I'll take a bowl game for us. But next game at Penn State will probably be another nail-biter for some reason. I was unlucky to not be able to watch the game today, it would have been an awesome 4th quarter to see.

11. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ugh, this has been a rough year to be an Iowa fan. To all the Michigan State fans, I'm sorry you're going to lose out on a BCS bowl because of the Hawkeyes.

I really think Iowa needs to hire a coach to specifically handle special teams duties. This crap of having the DB coach splitting time as the special teams coach is not working. This is the 3rd (out of 4) losses where special teams clearly cost Iowa the game. And an argument can be made that the piss poor punting heavily contributed to the Northwestern loss. This isn't to take away from what the other teams did, but when Iowa gives up points or misses on FGs and XPs that are the difference in final score, it's clearly the fault of the special teams.

I also think the offensive coordinator needs to go. Iowa's 2 minute drill has been absolutely abysmal. The fact that Stanzi wasn't even in the shotgun was unacceptable. Especially since Arizona gave the clear blueprint on beating Iowa in the last 2 minutes, which is pin your ears back and blitz like hell. The way to beat that is to get back in shotgun and throw some quick slants. With 3 timeouts and only down 3, that's clearly what the offense should've been doing. And instead they have Stanzi under center and were running deep, long developing routes. That is just poor coaching and scheming.

This has been the most disappointing Iowa team. These coaches used to do more with less than any other staff in the country. This year they did less with more than any other team. They have 2 potential 1st rounders on the D-line, with another 3-4th rounder, plus 2 Juniors that could be high picks next year. Getting gashed at the end of games like this should never happen, and is just terrible. I'm a fan and will always root for my team, but the difference in what could have been this year - at least a Rose Bowl trip if not a National Championship berth - and what actually occurred this year is really the difference in good coaching and bad coaching. And that is a problem I never thought I'd have as an Iowa fan. I'm ok when the talent is clearly superior, but that hasn't been the case. It's all been in the coaching.

Again, sorry Michigan State fans, you've had a season like Iowa had last year, and you should've gotten a BCS bowl out of it.

12. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Last night was another one. Whenever Boise St. is on the tube I know all I need to do is tune in for like a half-hour, maybe even less, to realize it's just another blowout. The Broncos didn't even play their best game but still won 51-0. Amazing. If they don't get to play in the NC it will be a damn shame. More than ever, that would deprive college football fans from seeing the best team crowned as the champ.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently the big ten winner is just decided by whoever is highest in the BCS. That's an idiotic tie breaker, looks like Wisconsin will take it.

My God, this game between Nebraska and A&M sucks. I don't mind low scoring games, but these offenses are just playing like shit. The big 12 blows. I'm calling it now, they'll get slaughtered in the bowl games.

Boise St has a great chance to jump TCU, and they probably will if they can convincingly beat Nevada. If Auburn loses we might be looking at a broncos/ducks title game. I'll laugh my ass off if this happens and the SEC fans whine about how unfair the BCS is when it sucked their cocks for the last 5 years.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As it stands now, There is a three-way tie because OSU and Michigan State don't play each other, so it comes down to BCS ranking. Right now Wisconsin goes to the Rose Bowl against Stanford, which will be a great game. If Miami would have beaten VT, OSU might have had a chance to jump the Badgers, but it probably won't happen now. The Capital One Bowl is actually a pretty good game. It will probably be Michigan State and Alabama this year. OSU is all but guaranteed another shot at the Fiesta Bowl this year, probably against either Boise or TCU.

15. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

See that's what I don't get, if someone has to go to the Rose Bowl, and Ohio State gets an at-large bid to the Orange or Sugar, then wouldn't that be Michigan State, because they beat Wisconsin head-to-head? I know BCS standings are taken into account, but I thought that was for the bid for the highest bowl game. Fuck, I'm confused. I guess my question is, if Wisky, OSU and MSU all win out, does the head-to-head help Michigan State at all? It has to, doesn't it?

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently not. There is a couple things to consider though, namely that Wisconsin beat Ohio St and an Iowa team that destroyed the spartans. Plus, Michigan St has had a lot of close games they easily could have lost. I still think it's a stupid tie breaker, but the spartans should get a decent bowl game at least.

17. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When it comes down to being between OSU and MSU for an at-large bid, the bowls are going to pick OSU 10/10 times since they're guaranteed to have a fanbase who will travel and sell out their seats.

The head to head doesn't really help MSU at all.

18. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is the same clusterfuck that tainted the Big 12 South division in 2008, when Texas, OU, and Texas Tech all finished in a three way tie at the end of the season. I remember vehemently opposing Oklahoma's bid to the Big 12 title game over Texas and the same logic I used to defend them is going to fuck my team here two years later. I hate the BCS. I hate their stupid rules, I hate their stupid algorithm, I hate their whole stupid existence. This time, for me, it's personal.

Go Michigan, and go Northwestern.

But all in all, it's been a hell of a season for Michigan State. I can tell you no one, NO ONE predicted we'd finish 11-1 or 10-2. So I'm pretty happy either way.

19. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Man, fuck that. They were incredibly lucky last year and got all the damn bounces to go their way. Shit, even this year, Indiana would have beat them if the IU WR didn't drop a sure touchdown in the very last minute. They are good, but they are ranked right about where they should be.

And damn Michigan State for...well, just damn them. I hate Dantonio.

Wisconsin, in my opinion, is the best in the Big 10 right now. No one is playing like they are at this point.

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah but if you hate Dantonio, you have to hate Bielema cause he is an uber fuckface. He is pulling a Bob Stoops to jack up UW's BCS ranking this year and is just an overall asshole. Dantonio had the stones to call the fake FG. Bielema has the stones to...throw bombs against IU when up 50 and go for 2 against Minny when up 30, what a cock gobbler.