Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011-12 NCAA Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Durej, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

More conference realignment fallout. TCU will now forsake its commitment to the Big East and instead join the Big 12.

2. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know how much of the Year of the Quarterback stuff you guys have been seeing on ESPN, but I worked on this, and it's airing Wednesday:

Time to see what a month and a half in 120 degree heat will get you.

#42 ssycko, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So it turns out Michigan isn't actually a top fifteen team like their ranking suggested. How shocking.

The big east sent out invites to five schools in an attempt to keep their conference alive. Among those invited are Boise St In a way this is great news for Boise St, and in another more important way it isn't. Going undefeated in the big east will never get them to the title game, no matter how convincing the wins are. The big east is bad enough in football now that Boise St might as well be playing in the WAC or mountain west. That might not always be true in the future, and there is at least the promise of a BCS bowl game for winning the conference, but if I'm Boise St I would try and see if there is any chance of getting into the big 12, which would make a lot more sense geographically as well.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone know what happened to Miami? They still haven't decided on a penalty, right? There was so much talk about it earlier in the year and now it seems to have completely disappeared. I thought they deserved the death penalty, but was pretty sure there was no chance it would happen. Preventing a team from playing in bowl games for a couple years isn't going to discourage very many programs from doing this. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Miami starts doing it again next season.

Wow, this thread is so dead.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6909795/ncaa-eight-miami-hurricanes-serve-suspenions-repayments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... repayments</a>

Is that what you are talking about?

Also, South Carolina dismisses their senior qb and then loses their star running back to a knee injury in a week. How fucked are they?

6. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We'll be fine. Our defense is one of the best in the nation and we might have the best d-line. Plus Garcia wasn't playing well at all, and he got benched the week before anyway. We've got a backup to replace Lattimore who's got experience, and we've got our awesome-in-space athlete (Bruce Ellington, our starting PG as well) getting his football legs back under him after a year off.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You still won't make a BCS bowl game. South Carolina is perpetually good, and never great.

If that's all that happened to Miami, and they're taking this long to come up with further penalties the NCAA is even worse than I thought, and that's saying something.

8. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Only way that's happening is if we win the SEC. I think we'll get our shot to do that by making the title game. Our defense can keep us in the game with anyone, we'd have a puncher's chance. And I don't know what you're talking about being perpetually good. We're a little over ten years from a 21 game losing streak and years of being happy just making a bowl, not realistic pre-season BCS aspirations. We've definitely turned a corner and are moving up.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope the LSU-'Bama game lives up to it's hype. I'm also hoping Boise St is the only other undefeated besides the winner of the LSU-'Bama game, because I want Boise St. to face either of them and get fucking rocked just to shut them up.

10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So "The Game of the Century" is Nov 5th.

I've never seen so much press time devoted to a mid-season NCAA football game before. What do you guys think, is it going to be as good as everyone says?

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say yes. I hate to say it, but this is probably the real national championship this season. Wisconsin and Oklahoma have been exposed, and with how good these two teams are playing I don't think either Boise St or Stanford would keep it within ten points. I also don't see Oklahoma St going undefeated with their remaining schedule. My pick for the game is Alabama, if only because they seem like a slightly more complete team. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7178202/georgia-bulldogs-suspend-three-running-backs-one-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... s-one-game</a>

Considering they are playing New Mexico State, a game they should win handily, the coaches are pretty excited about using a bunch of unusual players in the rb position. I would pull out every trick play in the book.

Should be a fun game to watch.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is just nasty:

#53 $100T2, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Half time, 3-3.

'Bama has fucked up 3 field goals, missing two and getting one blocked. Trent Richardson ate two bowls of Wheaties and is putting up yards on carries and receptions.

Jarrett Lee throws an INT and Les Miles pulls him for Jordan Jefferson.

Honestly, it's gone about as I thought it would, except I figured LSU would have been ahead at the half. The fact that it's tied at halftime is pretty surprising.

The second half is going to be awesome.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is it surprising? Alabama arguably has a better team. If anything I'd be pissed off that they aren't leading right now. This is by far the best college game I've seen thus far. If people are disappointed because it's low scoring they need to find another sport. Absolutely phenomenal play from both sides of the ball. I was actually preparing for a big let down since that's what we've had from college football lately, but this is a damn good game.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's surprising because Bama usually fucks up a bit in the first half and digs a hole.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alabama really, really shot themselves in the foot.

EDIT: Further drunk analysis... Alabama should have won this game, and won it easily. Three missed FGs in regulation, that ridiculous wildcat play with the INT (that wasn't really an INT), the other nonsense... Bama had that game and gave it away.

I still think Bama is the better team, LSU got lucky tonight.

18. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Why does god dislike me? Not only did we get beat, but I've gotta pull for fucking auburn of all teams this week. If they don't buy some better players this week, I don't think the Gamecocks are gonna make it to ATL.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About 15-20 years too late?

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7211281/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-retire-end-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... end-season</a>

20. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It probably is 15 years too late for Joe. Penn state is far from what it once was. It's too bad that his career will end like this. What a royal fuck up on the part of a classy guy. Anywhere and anyone else, and he wouldn't be keeping his job until the end of the season.