Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011-12 NCAA Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Durej, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At this point I want Ok State to lose a game and LSU to lose in the SEC Championship just to have a ton of 1 loss teams (and an undefeated Houston, ha).

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only was he an athlete in shape, he had broken up a knife fight between two players not long beforehand. So its not like he was afraid of conflict. What a piece of shit.

Totally glad Nebraska came out on top.

Related, ESPN had a headline that read "Son says Paterno wanted PSU to win yesterday". Seriously? 1) How is that a story? 2) Like JoePa would root against fucking Penn State because of this? Jeez

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Georgia were to beat LSU in the SEC Championship game, would a #2 Alabama get left out of the National title game, or would the SEC champ get excluded from the BCS?

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe I woke up to read about how Iowa St beat Oklahoma St in OT. We now have a 3 horse race between Alabama, Oregon, and Oklahoma to play LSU in the championship. My money is on Oregon unless Oklahoma really smashes Oklahoma St. I don't think they'll have two SEC teams play each other for the national title. If LSU loses to Arkansas or Georgia it will be really interesting to see how they decide who is the most deserving (probably bama/Oregon in that scenario?).

5. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

LSU still has to get by #6 Arkansas and the SEC Championship game (against Georgia most likely), too. They could definitely fuck up and lose one of those games.

Should be interesting.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, is USC throwing the game on purpose? Up 38-14, on the verge of losing.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell of a game, but what the fuck was Oregon doing holding on to all 3 timeouts there? Gee guys, if you used them you might have got a touchdown instead of looking at a dangerous field goal attempt to try to make overtime.

Edit: He missed from 37. Watching college kickers try to make these chip shot field goals is like watching retards try to explain string theory. Oregon deserved to lose. What pitiful clock management at the end.

8. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is fucking ridiculous.

Yes, the bimbo announcer called the QB "Robert Griffin Jr the Third". Chuckle, chuckle.

As of right this second, LSU won. 'Bama won. OKST lost, Oregon lost, and Oklahoma is behind in that game 38-24. Arkansas won.

New rankings should have the SEC West ranked #1, #2, and #3.

#88 $100T2, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Clemson lost too. I have a feeling Stanford might sneak into 3rd by the time the season is over. Oklahoma just scored so they are only down by 7 now. A comeback seems likely, but I hope they lose.

#89 Kampf Trinker, Nov 19, 2011
  10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, so suppose next week 'Bama beats Auburn, and Arkansas beats LSU.

Which would mean LSU, Arkansas and 'Bama would all have identical records. LSU beat Bama. Bama beat Arkansas. Arkansas beat LSU.

Who would go to the SEC Championship game? Does anyone know what the tie breaker would be for that?

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WHAT A FUCKING NIGHT. This is why college football is incredible. RG3 is an absolute freak of nature. What a beast.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not 100% certain, but I believe after a bunch of head to head tie breakers are looked at (which resolves nothing in this scenario) and then looking at total record, they go to bcs standing, which would probably knock Arkansas out (I think). Then they go to head to head for the two remaining teams, which would give LSU the nod. It really depends on how the BCS would want to rank these teams in that situation. If Arkansas jumped LSU and Alabama didn't move then I believe Alabama would get to play in the title game.

The big ten had a somewhat similar predicament recently regarding deciding who goes to what bowl game and they just left it up to the BCS. Again, I'm not totally sure, but I think this is what we would see in the SEC since other tie breakers don't help.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Go Baylor! What a finish.

13. dense

dense
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If that were to happen, the SEC has a series of rules in place, kind of like most MLB or the NFL, to break a tiebreaker they'd look at conference records, the records of the teams in out of conference games, I really think it breaks down to this SEC rule.

Unless I'm reading that rule wrong, LSU can lose and still advance to the title game since Alabama is ranked ahead of Arkansas. Keep in mind, I got this from wikipedia so it might be entirely false.

edit: Kampf Trinker beat me to it.

14. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Good job, Baylor. But, at the end of the day you're still SMU-Waco. Except all Baptisty and shit.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you have to assume that if Arkansas were to beat LSU they would move up in the rankings. The question is by how much. Honestly, I don't really like Arkansas' chances anyway. Good offense, but not good enough. Well, after a day like today I suppose anything is possible...

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Arkansas. I like their offense, they are fun to watch, and my college roommate's little brother is their 3rd string QB and "starting" holder. That being said, they don't have the defense to get it done. We saw what happened to them against Bama. It will be interesting against LSU cause I feel like Bama has a better D that LSU, but I feel like Tyler Wilson's frenetic flop-cut scramble offense will be neutralized.

Unrelated...Heisman thoughts? He's been inconsistent, but RG3 has had MASSIVE games when on a public stage (TCU and OU). His game tonight was insane. That coupled with Luck and Richardson being pedestrian as of late, its kind of wide open. I give props to Keenum for consistency and sheer numbers, but I find it hard to believe he would have a chance.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of timeout management, what the fuck was OK doing taking timeouts for Baylor? Even the announcers were saying, "Baylor was content to go to OT, why was he doing that?"

18. billyhasADD

billyhasADD
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I say this as an avid SEC fan, but I don't see how its fair to LSU or the rest of the country to make them play Alabama again for the championship game. Even if they're ranked #4, ok state would make a better chamionship game. Then again, I'm a missisippi state fan, so fuck me.

#98 billyhasADD, Nov 20, 2011
  19. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just hate the idea giving a team a chance to win the national championship when they couldn't even win their own conference. Alabama could be the number 2 team in the country, though I don't think they are, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Especially when a winner from some other conference had to play an extra game in their conference championship game.

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, the talking heads had it right. Arkansas kept it close for 3 quarters, but LSU is definitely better.

Yes, I'm a 'Bama fan, but honestly, how anyone could think anyone but 'Bama can challenge LSU in the NC game is beyond me. There is LSU and 'Bama, then everyone else.

Bottom line: If 'Bama didn't miss their motherfucking field goals, LSU wouldn't have made it to OT. If LSU is #1, then the fact that LSU beat 'Bama in OT 9-6 makes 'Bama either 1A or 2. The NC is supposed to be the two best teams. I don't give a motherfuck if nobody else wants to watch a defensive battle: The NC should be LSU-Bama.