Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011-12 NCAA Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Durej, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we've had a great season, but I'll remain a bitter fan until the NCAA at least attempts to fix the many rampant problems that is currently plaguing college football. From a post at the beginning of the season:

I really believe that a playoff system would make more money, it's just that the NCAA is making so much in the current system they want to be risk averse and stay away from change. It's same reason they're afraid to crack down on schools giving hand outs to athletes. Aside from pissing off every school you do this to, you're also putting that much more out there in the open, which is too detrimental to college football's reputation. If there was a conceivable way for fans to band together and boycott the NCAA until they at least gave us a playoff system, I would join in. Fucking with their money is probably the only thing they'll understand.

Wisconsin, you're killing me. How many straight games are you going to blow against Michigan St when you're supposed to have the better team. Every time they go in as big favorites they make Kirk Cousins look like the greatest college player ever to put on a uniform. I've seen water boys that look more manly than Cousins, this is just embarrassing. Giving up 30 points in the first half with a BCS berth on the line is unacceptable. Fuck you Wisconsin.

Landry Jones belongs in arena football. I think he's just good enough to a real star there.

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kampf I hope you're happy. Winning on a dive is...I don't know...words can't describe the frustration I am in right now. Yes the rule is cut and dry, BUT two seconds after homeboy kicked it and being hit into him? How does that in any way effect the play or the players safety? Lewis was going for the block, jumped, the ball was kicked, Lewis was hit, he tagged the kickers toe, play went on with no complications and no one was remotely close to being in any danger of injury.

Congrats to the Badgers, but some of this shit really needs to be re-thought-out.

And if Umich gets a better bowl than us, some bcs execs' heads are gonna roll...

3. The Skirt

The Skirt
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Seriously OU?!?! I had a sneaking suspicion Landry R(oad)-Tard was going to show up tonight, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad!! And REALLY OSU; storming the field? Tearing down the goal posts? Show some dignity. Act like you've been here before... oh wait. You haven't. So.... shit. Just shitty shit dumb ass bricks-for-fingers wide receivers shit. Oh, AND I love how the Bell-Dozer FINALLY goes in and IMMEDIATELY scores a TD. I've been bitching about Skeletor's (Venables) suck ass secondary coverage and piss poor defensive discipline all year but apparently I should have been raising hell about the offensive coordinators' continued inability to call productive plays. And per a bet I made with a TiB member, I'll be changing my profile picture shortly. Repping my team in all our shameful glory.

I know I don't post here, but I am a RABID NCAA Football fan. And all I can say is - I KNOW, I really do, that Alabama is the better team... but I'll be DAMNED if I want to see LSU vs. Alabama again. I'd rather see OSU get bent over and beat like the ugly ass red-headed step-child Brandon Weeden is than watch Alabama vs LSU again. Fuck. That. Noise.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the most aggravating thing about that was the punter popping up and wildly celebrating like he actually made a good play instead of diving like a bitch.

5. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think as the rule is written the call was right. If you ask me it's ludicrous to penalize a player for not being able to stop his momentum. You can see the guy the penalty was called was trying to stop himself, and stumbled a bit doing so, and then barely nicked the kicker. Let soccer have diving, I don't want to see this become popular in football.

That being said, I'll take it. I hope we play Stanford in the rose bowl, and Luck gets the beating of his life.

6. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Dude, you're playing Oregon in the Rose Bowl. What on earth made you think you'd play Stanford?

And I agree with you on the fact that the call was ruled correctly as written, but it's still a bullshit rule. I'm not stewing about a blown call or getting hosed - I don't think we were - I just think we lost, and it sucks. I can't think of a single loss that hurt more than this. Especially when you consider Michigan, with their cupcake schedule and having lost to us in October, is going to jump us in the polls and play in the Sugar Bowl. It hurts just to type that. Added to the fact that Wisconsin has gotten the last laugh two years in a row, and this adds up to a pretty shitty 24 hours.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had it mixed up with Stanford being ranked higher and us playing TCU last year who got an at large bid. Speaking of the sugar bowl, I found it amusing that TCU is projected to play there and it looks like Boise St is slated for the Las Vegas bowl. Looks like Alabama vs LSU for the title game. Not too surprising even after the sooners got rocked.

8. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well, looks like that's what happened. LSU vs. Bama in the National Championship. In a season which I prayed to the football gods that'd we'd finally see someone else win this trophy, we have a lock for another SEC national champion. I cannot believe this.

And really, Virginia Tech vs. Michigan in the Sugar Bowl? Are you kidding me? Not 11-1 Boise State, not 10-2 TCU, you go with a team that got ROCKED in its conference championship game, to play MICHIGAN, a team that didn't even PLAY in their championship game IN THE FUCKING SUGAR BOWL?

If there is anyone out there who still defends this completely fucking asinine system you are an utter failure as a human being. I've had it. This is truly ludicrous. Good fucking God.

9. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kirk Herbstreit described the first LSU/Bama this year as "great." Still trying to justify the hype they singlehandedly manufactured.

Michigan vs Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. First, selecting Va Tech is such bullshit. They've beaten ZERO teams in the top 25, got KILLED by Clemson in the ACC Championship game, and only got picked because the Sugar Bowl feels they'll sell lots of tickets. You can make a better argument for Michigan, but still this whole thing stinks. Fuck you Sugar Bowl. Teams I'd rather see: Baylor, Arkansas, Boise State, Kansas State, Appalachian State, anyone.

OK State and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl should be awesome to watch as well as Wisconsin vs Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Tons of offensive potential in those games. WVU vs Clemson in the Orange Bowl is rather meh.

My Pitt Panthers are going to the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham for the second year in a row. This time against SMU. I'm okay with this, but I was actually kind of hoping for the Beef O'Brady's Bowl in St. Pete, Florida. Cheaper flight, plus I was hoping to catch a Lightning game if the schedule worked out right. Oh well.

10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty cool little interactive chart of the final coaches poll:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-final-coaches-ballots/51647436/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... 51647436/1</a>

11. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Florida vs. Ohio State in the Gator Bowl.

I am going to take a shot every time somebody mentions Urban Meyer.

If I skip the pregame shows, I figure I'll be dead by the first TV timeout.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Word on Twitter is that Todd Graham, Univ of Pittsburgh's head coach, has resigned in order to accept the head coaching job at Arizona State. This likely means that Pitt will be on its SIXTH head coach in just one year. Amazing. I knew this was just a stepping stone, but not even a full season and for Arizona State? Ugh.

13. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

He told the director of football operations to send a text to the team. Apparently, Arizona State is his dream job as he has family out there.

Mike "slap yo baby mama'' Haywood is still out there, right?

14. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7396245/mike-munchak-tennessee-titans-no-interest-penn-state-nittany-lions-opening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73962 ... ns-opening</a>

At this point, this is no surprise, but did Penn State set their sights too high or is this a broken program that cannot convince anyone to put up with the controversy/step in JoePa's shoes?

Personally, I don't see how this program continues if there are convictions passed down.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Munchak is in a pretty great situation in Tennessee. They still have an outside shot at making the playoffs. I'd be surprised if he would walk away from that for a college job even without the scandal and having to replace an icon.

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The WashvBaylor game was fanfuckingtastic. One of the best I've seen with an ending score that resembled that of a college basketball game at 56-67. Whoa man.

18. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only bowl game that matters to me is about to kick off. GO SPARTANS!!!

...and a stellar start. /sarcasm

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This spartans/bulldogs game got really good really fast in the 4rth quarter.

20. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congrats to Diablo for MSU's victory. The Rose Bowl is once again showing why it always has been and still is the only bowl game to watch.