Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011-12 NCAA Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Durej, Sep 1, 2011.

1. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, I am totally content with a 4 team playoff, 8 at the absolute max.

Here's my reasoning. Based on the BCS rankings heading into the bowls, here's the top 16:

LSU
    Bama
    OkSt
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Arkansas
    Boise St.
    Kansas St.
    South Carolina
    Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech
    Baylor
    Michigan
    Oklahoma
    Clemson
    Georgia

Sure, some of the teams out of the top 4 or even top 8 could get hot and run off three games in a row with the right matchup, but if you think about it, do we really need to see GA-LSU again, or 'Bama - Clemson, or OkSt-OK again, or Stanford-Michigan?

No. This isn't like college basketball where there are a lot more teams that can get hot on a given night and pull an upset, I don't really see the need for a 4 week long playoff. The top 4 would be adequate, the top 8 is a bit of a stretch, the top 16 is completely unnecessary.

2. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get what you're saying but why not match up to the D2 playoff system that has been working? We have 35 bowl games and all you have to do is win 6 games to be eligible. Really? Let's eliminate the "bowls" and replace it with a 24 team playoff. It would be much more watchable and more exciting.

3. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They will never eliminate the 35 bowl games. Too much money at stake.

We'll be lucky to get the 4 team playoff.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8 I can live with, but 4 would have problems in a lot of years. Think about the season LSU won the title as a 2 loss team. There were no clear favorites, and it certainly didn't come down to 4 teams. Also, this season if there was only 8 (let's say 6 bcs conference winners and 2 at large spots) Boise St wouldn't get in. Instead they were designated to a terrible bowl game against a team that wasn't even ranked. 8 is manageable, but I'll take more if I can get it. The time frame is certainly there. Saban said his team took 3 weeks off practice before the championship. They can definitely squeeze an extra game in.

5. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mentioned it before, will mention it again. 16 teams. Top six seeds are your 6 BCS conference champions. The remaining 10 teams come from the next top 10 in the standings. It rewards conference play as well as overall. Teams like Boise State, Houston and Notre Dame can still get in with a high enough ranking.

You can even include the major bowls into it. Some kind of rotational system where they are the hosts of the semifinals (8 teams, 4 bowls) and final 4 (4 teams, 2 bowls). Could be done if you used the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton and then probably the Capital One bowl (next highest in terms of payout so I'm assuming it is the next largest. It also used to be the Citrus Bowl so it has a decent history to it.). Then you have your independent championship game like they have right now.

But what do I know? Not much.

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never understood why they can't do a playoff without keeping the bowls. You have the title game, excluding those two after the playoff, but keep the Rose Bowl as Pac-12 v. Big 10, Sugar Bowl as Big 12 v. SEC, Orange Bowl as ACC v. Big East, and Fiesta Bowl as two at-large teams. That way you keep the profitable bowl games and don't even have to let a #24 West Virginia team into the playoff.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/intelligence_squared/2012/04/the_next_slate_intelligence_squared_debate_is_may_8_why_malcolm_gladwell_thinks_we_should_ban_college_football_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/in ... ball_.html</a>

I don't like it, but he makes a valid point.

Interesting to think about.

8. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The best argument I heard against a playoff including the bowls is the fan support.

How many fans can afford to travel to 3 or 4 different bowl sites to support their team? Or are they all just going to wait until the championship to try and go?

I am all for a playoff system. The conferences are way too different to keep leaving it up to records and voters.

9. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a four team playoff. So that's two games, max. And from what the various proposals suggest, they'll either host each semifinal at the higher ranked team's stadium (solving the travel problem) or at a traditional bowl site.

If the semis are at a neutral site, some fans may have to choose one game or the other, but to say that there would be a lack of fan support for a semi-final or national championship game is ridiculous.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any Penn State fans here?

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the Penn State thing goes to show that you can accomplish just about anything if you get a big enough mob frothing at the mouth. Are any of the people responsible even associated with the school anymore? Doesn't matter as long as we get to lynch somebody, I guess. And don't tell me it's about sending a message unless you think there are people out there who are thinking, "Gee, I was going to cover up a pedophilia scandal, but I don't think I'll risk it if I might get in trouble 12 years from now." If anything, it will give programs another reason to hide things now that they've seen how bad the punishment is. You don't try to cover something up if you don't think you're going to get away with it.

And vacating the wins? What does that accomplish except giving the finger to Paterno? Did he gain some kind of competitive advantage from having a pedophile on campus? Then why isn't Notre Dame any better?

Though it is refreshing to see some media-manufactured public outrage that isn't coming from the state of Florida for a change.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1 - Fake chronic.

2 - He'll transfer to a D2 school ala Janoris Jenkins and still make millions

3 - can we please start referring to him now as the "Honey Weasel"?

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really excited to see Mizzou get beaten like an albino immigrant in the SEC.

14. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's the spread for Penn State's opener?

A little boy's butt cheeks