Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If anybody blew it, it was Cleveland. I can't think of a better West Coast QB than Matt Flynn. Anyway, Wilson has been lighting it up against 2nd and 3rd stringers. If he were to do the same to a team that isn't completely terrible on defense in one of the toughest places to play in the league (Kansas City), that would be awesome. If not, I know Seattle has a capable backup at worst.

2. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The issue with Cleveland, like Miami, was the money. Miami & Cleveland got rookie QB's for a lot less money than Flynn was looking for.

Then again, if Wilson is better than Weeden and Tannehill, Seattle still wins.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm hearing a lot of "Wilson is fucking great" but none of the "Flynn is not as good as we think" or "Seattle paid him too much" or "Flynn is a 'bust'". Given its pre-season and I really don't care too much about Seattle, how has the guy played so far when he's been in?

4. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the thing. It isn't as if Flynn has played like shit. He hasn't. He throws guys open. He doesn't seem to make dumb decisions when he's throwing. He's got the arm. If there's one knock on Flynn that I can see is that he tends to hold on to the ball a bit too long. The sample size is too small to indicate if it's a problem with Seattle's pass protection or him, so take that with a grain of salt.

I've watched both Seattle's preseason games and in my opinion, Wilson has simply performed better than Flynn. He's way more athletic, has a bigger arm, and is mobile. He's completely unflappable in the pocket. When there's pressure, he does a great job of eluding the rush and keeping his eyes downfield. If there's nothing, he'll slide his way for a 7 yard gain and do it again. The height thing is completely overblown. Wilson's throwing motion is over the top and whip-fast. I can't wait to see how he'll do against a first team defense.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I'm not saying the guy is good, I have NO IDEA what his skill is. All I'm saying is I haven't heard anyone say he was bad. When it comes to the QB battle in Seattle, I hear praise for Wilson, but I heard NOTHING about Flynn. So I'm wondering what his skill actually is and has been while wearing Seattle.

6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the head of the NFLPA is still taking $1 for his salary, he's overpaid.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8294566/nfl-players-association-rejects-rule-changes-injured-reserve-trade-deadline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/82945 ... e-deadline</a>

How could either one of those things not help the players? Leaving 1 roster spot for a player to come off IR instead of having to sit a whole season AND extending the trade deadline?

But the Franchise Tag that makes players hold out? That they fucking approve.

7. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So when then fuck are Mike Wallace and MJD showing up?

8. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wallace, I have no idea. I think he'd be happy to sit out all season.

Of the two, I'm inclined to think MJD shows up first. He knows he has a guy in Jennings backing him up that can easily replace him, and his owner has made it abundantly clear that he feels MJD can go fuck himself if he wants more money. I think he'll maybe miss the first game, thinking "the owner will absolutely shit himself if I miss a game," but the owner will laugh, because I really don't think he cares if his team wins or loses. Then MJD will show up so he doesn't miss any more game checks.

Even MJD knows that RBs have limited mileage, and if he sits out an entire season, he won't be any closer to a trade, and he'll lose a lot of money. MJD's ONLY hope is that he misses a few games and Jennings shits the bed, making the Jags desperate. Given how good most people seem to think Jennings is, though, I doubt this happens.

The real question is this: if MJD misses game 1 and Jennings has a big game, does MJD start week 2? I don't think so. I think MJD suits up but barely plays, and then ends up taking a back seat to Jennings, hurting his chances at a new contract even more. Missing the entire pre-season and off season minicamps will only hurt MJD's conditioning. Guys who hold out like that seem to be more injury prone, too. I just don't see this ending well for Jones-Drew.

One thing I do know: I am avoiding MJD in my fantasy leagues like he has leprosy.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This MJD contract situation is a weird thing because it partially comes down to honoring what you signed, you can't have it both ways. If he underperforms his contract, how do you get rid of it without salary cap hit? If he outperforms his contract, you're supposed to pay him more with two years left? Even though he got a ton of money up front?

It must be bad contract etiquette even given "how this is a business" and "running back shelf life" to ask for a contract with two years out. One year? Yeah, but two years is a little early. I get his argument, as he was 49% of their offense or something disgusting, I get both sides. It just seems weird to me. They're doing what they said they do, he should also.

10. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly this. I want to see him play, he's fun to watch, and he could have a monster year if their QB play gets better. I know they have to get what they can when they can get it but even though he has to know he's going to break down with the work load they give him he should have waited until next year to hold out. At least that's my thought.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

30K a day, every day until he reports to practice, the owner gave an interview stating something to the effect of on a 0-10 scale of stress MJD causes him doesn't even rate a zero. Sounds like that guy is perfectly fine with MJD not playing a down, no way he gets more money outta that guy.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw 2 good ones the other day:

Forgetting Brandon Marshall

The Tannehills Have Eyes

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those are good names. Just watched that first Hard Knocks, seems pretty fucking obvious from the jump Tannehill is starting.

14. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the plan all changed when Garrard went down. He was apparently the better QB in most of training camp, but Tannehill was catching up fast.

The question is now, do they keep Garrard. He was supposed to be out 2-4 weeks, and its been 2 and hes not close.

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently Russell Wilson is starting. This is fairly pleasing to me, since I am have been a huge fan of the guy since his time at Wisconsin and thought the weight given to the height issue was bullshit.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

And TO is gone. That was fast.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As is Tavaris Jackson. Which is about 2 years too late.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Preach. Funny thing is Tavaris might be taking Vince Young's job. How the mighty have fallen.

19. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I any imagine how awful Young must have been. "You know what? Not only would Tavaris be better, but so much so that we would like to give up things in exchange."

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When you don't say something racist, you're so right. So like, you're right 15% of the time you talk. Everyone wants to talk about his drops, but that's fucking rust. No fair that QBs get rust, but WRs and RBs don't. Peyton Manning had his fucking spine infused, but hey, he'll get it back. T.O. made that awesome basket catch from an underthrown pass by wunderkind Russell Wilson and that just gets shit on. He'd have a TD because he had that guy beat, but had to come back for it.

He'll definitely end up on a team, just gotta get him through some drills, and his hands used to the game again.