Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

It's one thing to call Kapernick a thug for actually acting like a thug, like Pacman Jones or something. But calling him a thug because of his choice of attire? I didn't realize this board has become a cribbage table at the old folks' home.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Racists. iczorro, come on. Google Thug, look at google images. Let me know how far down you have to get before you see a white dude that looks like the pic John_b posted, if ever.

The Patriots vs. Broncos game was fucking terrible. Manning was playing Madden on Rookie once Aqib Talib went out. Patriots starting from the crew they had in September, not counting Hernandez, were down 6 defensive starters and 5 offensive starters. I'm not even mad in this game. Just disappointed, at no point did I feel like the Patriots had any real chance once the Broncos went up. Manning just said "Hey, I'm going to pass to this guy, oh I just press X, okay." Boom ball was there.

Didn't see the second game, but looks like it had a tinge of controversy over the fumble that was not reviewable. Hopefully Seattle can shut down Manning. I can't have him getting another ring, being the only QB to win SBs with two different teams, and coming off a year this fucking epic. Can't handle it.

3. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The bad call worked itself out, Seattle bobbled a snap on the next play and SF got it on the 20 or so.

I think the Broncos have had an amazing post season, both their games have been kind of boring but I think thats a testament to how well they are playing. They're controlling the games, suffocating the other teams and not giving them the chance to make it interesting. That said the Pats looked lethargic, it was never really an interesting game and the Chargers were lucky to get in and it seems like they crapped out during that game.

If Peyton wins two Superbowls with two different teams he will be the only QB ever to do that. If he does that, he is likely to be considered the best ever. Kind of hard to argue with that. Maybe the most impressive thing about his performance this season is simply his age. The guy is 37 and just put up the best statistical season ever and has a chance to win the Superbowl. The guy should be slowing down, should be relying on the running game, but he's having maybe the best season ever. What the hell.

This is probably one of the most compelling Superbowls in a while. I think the media would prefer it if Seattle won because they're the young and exciting team, and every writer wants to talk about how Manning is the best regular season QB ever.

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had no idea Busta Rhymes played cornerback for the Seahawks. When the fuck did that happen???

I don't see Denver beating Seattle. That defense is very, very good.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This will be a great Superbowl I hope. Since my team has no hope in hell of seeing one, its nice to see the best two teams in the league play each other, and it doesn't happen often.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why?

What does winning with two different mascots have anything to do with being the best ever? In an age of salary caps and so many player/coach changes, I don't really see a compelling reason why two different franchises is a lot different than two different teams in the same franchise. I mean, Denver has a pretty ridiculous amount of offensive talent this year - you could probably take a few of the really great quarterbacks, shift them around to the team with the best offensive talent, and end up making a deep playoff run.

Not that he hasn't had a tremendous season, I'm just not buying that this is more significant than a third Superbowl appearance. Which is great, and says a lot about his abilities - I'd say that Superbowl appearances are more significant indicators of a good QB than Superbowl wins, given how much randomness there is in any given game.

If this is your benchmark for "greatest QB ever" then huzzah for you - but it's not even a little bit hard to argue with it.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

(This is more a reaction to the idiots on my FB like "Oh, now that I've watched this, I want the Broncos to win!") I have no fucking clue why people expect athletes to be coherent after a game. He's fucking hyped up on every natural chemical your body can produce. He just sealed the game with an interception after running his ass up and down the field for 2 hours and hitting people. If he was interviewed this morning, he wouldn't say any of that stuff. People are ridiculous.

Oh, I'm going to let him speak for himself here.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I for one approve of the NFL now having a WWF style heel.

Re: two teams, I don't think it matters much more, but for what it's worth, older QBs such as Unitas played without the option of doing so, since free agency didn't exist.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Plus whatever is going to cause his next failed drug test.

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to get into an internet argument because I obviously don't do that, a guy who goes to many SBs with the same team can be a product of the coaching/team around him. To do it with two teams shows he wasn't a product of the system he was in. Would Tom Brady be Tom Brady with another team? Or is he a product of Belicheck? Look at Matt Cassel, had a great year there, was he great? Not really.

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This all makes sense, but surely the argument is lessened when the team you join was a division winner the previous season with young talent, right? The whole reason he joined Denver was that they had a roster and coaching staff that he felt was already built to win now.

Also, for what it's worth, Cassel's great season would have been below average for Brady.

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Matt Cassel had a great year because he had a great team to work with, and great coaching - undoubtedly.

Shit just doesn't hold up when you're running that across 10+ seasons, though. What, you think Belichick is some kind of magical wizard? If so, why don't they just get Matt Cassel back - he'd be cheaper than Brady.

That actually, in many ways, works against your point - Matt Cassel dropped into a great team and had a great year. He has not produced at that level since. Why is that not relevant for Peyton Manning? Do the Pats have a monopoly on a "good system"? Is Denver not capable of being that team? The year before Peyton arrived, Denver went to the playoffs with Timothy "Touchdown Jesus" Tebow who basically never had another quality NFL start. Or do you get to pick and choose the teams that have a good system to fit the argument?

Peyton Manning is one of the all time greats to ever play the game. No one thing like this is going to tip the "greatest of all time" discussion, though.

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never said I think that would definitively make him the best QB in history, however I think he would be in the discussion. Also, talking about who is the best QB ever is kind pointless anyway.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A blogger I enjoy made a point I agree with, and that article highlights it. He doesn't hate Sherman cause he is brash, or cause he's a trash talker, he doesn't like him cause he is fake as fuck. His boisterous shit that has everyone calling him a thug or worse, is a complete facade, cause as that article and countless interviews have shown, he's intelligent, articulate, and frankly one of the more insightful players in the game. I watched an Inside the NFL piece about him during the middle of the season, and changed my opinion on him a bit, as it reflected on him positively. But watching him during the playoffs, on the field, he's an obnoxious douche. No matter how nicely he backpedaled and credited his defense, notice how a guy with only 1 pass defended all game made himself a major story and interview participant last night and till the Super Bowl. He's a fraud. A fantastic player, but a fraud.

Also, he's so completely full of shit trying to pretend like he was harmlessly congratulating Crabtree on a good game in the end zone. That and trying to put a justified spin on making the choke move are just a joke.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't the fraud comment. He's a smart guy and he's a fucking asshole. I don't see how that makes him a fraud. He's smart enough to be a dick on the field, which might be part of his game, and then when he's not on the field he is someone different. Players talk about this all the time.

Plus passes defensed doesn't mean anything, Kap was scared to throw the ball in his direction. They started their third WR and put him on Sherman's side because they were so scared of him.

17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm of the opinion that if Richard Sherman was on your team and he shat all over a rival player after the biggest play of his career, people's opinions would be significantly different. I'm probably looking at this through rose colored lenses, but I don't think Sherman did anything wrong. If Crabtree was trash talking the entire game (and I seriously doubt he wasn't), Sherman going nuclear on him after a huge play like that is pretty much the expected outcome.

Put it this way. You know Sherman's reputation and you're still talking shit to him? Be prepared for blow back when he makes a big play.

PS: Calling Sherman a fraud because Kaepernick was unwilling to throw on that half of the field is disingenuous. Sure, he had the one pass defensed, but it was only the biggest pass at the end of the goddamn game with a Super Bowl berth on the line.

18. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's just poor sportsmanship. It would be equally unclassy if Peyton Manning threw the winning touchdown pass in the SB to Demaryus Thomas/Decker/Welker/whoever Sherman was covering, won the game and then ran to the mic and said "I'm the best QB in the game! When you try me with a sorry corner like Sherman, that's what you get!". He'd never do that. It's cliche but, you're a professional act like you belong there.

19. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Sherman's antics didn't bother me; like Jimmy said, that was pretty much the biggest play of his career and a play that put the Seahawks in the Superbowl. What annoys me is when guys do that stuff after routine or meaningless plays as if they just won the championship. For example, Jared Allen does this little hogtie pantomime whenever he sacks a QB, which is fine when it's a pivotal down in a tight game. But when he does it when the Vikes are down by 20 points in the fourth quarter, it gets on my nerves.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Comparing Richard Sherman to Peyton Manning is like comparing a F-16 to a 747. Yes, they're both planes, but they both serve different purposes and behave differently.

Asking a guy like Sherman to respond to a guy who talked shit all game with the same aw shucks Manning attitude is like asking Louis CK to respond to a heckler with a hug and offering to refund their money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.