Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 Thanksgiving Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, duh, you forgot to add "refrigerate overnight."

2. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Salad is for rabbits.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh jesus, no way am I clicking on that. The words in the URL are enough to make me dry heave.

5. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what do you guys drink during Thanksgiving? Is it straight champagne and wine or more bourbon? I fully expect to be sneaking beers with my dad and brother while my brother in law and sister cook.

Btw any salad with jell-o or mayonnaise is not a salad. I don't get how people can eat chicken salad or anything else really that is draped in mayo.

6. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh GOD, the texture.

Check out some of those 50's recipe books. I'd like to say there is no way American cuisine veered off so inexplicably quick, but we've always had shit taste. All this wonderful farmland, yet nobody knew what to do with any of it. So we get Spam.

Misanthropic, here are more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-1950s-most-nauseating-jell-o-soaked-recipes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.collectorsweekly.com/article ... d-recipes/</a>

This reminds me, if you folks have big birds, I'd take them out to thaw now. Mine is 13 pounds, so it should be unfrozen by brining time tomorrow.

Cheap champagne. Asti Spumante, baby! Insta-hangover. Still have some pumpkin beers and a couple Oktoberfests left. Just found, yesterday, Ayinger's Oktoberfest. It figures it shows up at the end of the season. Total Wine did not have this bad boy a few weeks ago.

With the leftover "champagne" I will make a French 75:

1 1/2 ounces gin
    3/4 ounce lemon juice
    1 teaspoon sugar
    4 ounces chilled champagne
    Shake gin, lemon juice, and sugar with ice. Strain into ice filled collins glass. Fill with champagne.

7. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

You mean this?

[​IMG]

That's shrimp frosting. SHRIMP FROSTING!

8. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ahahaha, well played I hate you

9. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I stick to wine, but if we meet up early I'll do a couple Irish coffees too. And what do you mean sneak beers? Aren't you all over 21?

10. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse

You know what's better? There are olives in that jello mold.

I am going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. I asked and I need to bring nothing, so I will probably take a bottle of wine. My mother-in-law is very regimented in what she serves. Makes the best Rice Helena dish. Delicious.

11. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Now I have spent many hours watching Food Network and have never, ever heard of this.

12. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse

Someone else asked so I'll post the recipe here. MUST LIKE DAIRY.

Rice Helena
    2 cups cooked rice
    1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese
    2 cups sour cream
    6 oz chili peppers

Combine cooked rice and sour cream. grate cheese. Layer rice, cheese, chillies. End with grated cheese on top. Bake 350 degrees, 35-45 minutes until bubbles and lightly brown.

Very easy to make, and the peppers add a little bit of kick.

13. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are but its a bit of a weird situation. My brother in law is a bit of a teetotaler and is uncomfortable to be around when you're having a few beers. He's the kind of guy that thinks having 3 beers is getting wasted that having that much is super crazy. God forbid if he knew how much I drank on the weekends, he'd shit himself and condemn me. He's only been hungover once in his life, and that was after his bachelor party. He's an odd, judgmental person.
    Also my mom is a recovering alcoholic (hell she might be drinking still, hard to tell one way or another because of her naturally odd behavior). So between those two things we'll go to the garage and drink.

Personally I wish my family was one of those that broke out the wine and got wasted during Thanksgiving but instead we have this weird, awkward dynamic going on.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can also get the instant version - it's called Boxing Helena.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm telling the Mrs to put the turkey back in the freezer. Tomorrow we're having a weenie tree, pork cake and celery flavored jello.

Attached Files:

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'll be making my standard BLT dip (minus the tomato, because I hate tomato and fuck you if I'm making something I don't like).

Mix in a bowl, then put in a pan:

2 lbs jalapeno bacon, pan cooked, crumbled
    50/50 mix of mayo and sour cream (make enough to get the right consistency)
    shredded colby jack cheese (to consistency)
    shredded lettuce (again, to consistency)

Top with any fresh-shredded cheese. I prefer habanero aged cheddar, but you can find a lot of cool stuff at your grocery store.

Serve cold.

17. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Usually it's red wine with my family but not this year. The girlfriend is making some goofy punch to serve her roommate and her roommate's boyfriend. It's some orange soda, sprite, champaign and God knows what else beverage. I, however, will be picking up a couple of 12 packs of good seasonal beer to serve our guests. Can anyone make a recommendation on a solid seasonal brew?

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

For those looking to get the entire family fucked up in a manner they'll hate you the next day:

A simple mix of 1 bottle cheap champagne to 1 bottle sparking cider.

Add in a bunch of grenadine.

Tastes like candy, is crazy cheap per drink so you don't feel guilty donating it, and gets a room full of people from zero to 60 insanely quick.

19. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Found this last night when I was looking up cocktails with orange bitters.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/b/buddha-punch-965.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/b/b ... h-965.html</a>

I happen to have all the ingredients and I think I will make a small batch of this.

20. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try this instead: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.drinkboy.com/Spirits/Default.aspx?itemid=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.drinkboy.com/Spirits/Default.aspx?itemid=7</a>

The one you posted sounds like a lot of work for some overly sweet stuff where you won't taste the bitters.

I still say a good vodka martini with a splash of grapefruit and a splash of orange bitters will do you just fine.