Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 General Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JPrue, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Broken" Romo put up 250 yards and 3 TDs for 36 points in our league yesterday.

Since Romo is on bye this week, can you see if you can taint (hee hee, I said taint) Roethlisberger in whatever way you affected Romo?

2. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, I didn't play Romo, that is why he did OK. Roesthlisberger is taken so I can't work my magic with him.

So I need McCoy, Benjamin, and my kicker to put up a combined 38 points tonight. sounds do-able right?

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm playing against Benjamin but my opponent needs 80+ points tonight so I think I can see my way to cheering for him.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, that's not the case at all. WR is really my only position that I can upgrade at since I've got Peyton as my QB, Ingram, Jennings, and Ellington for my RB's and Gronk as my primary TE.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody here think it's worth a shot to pick up Stanton off of waivers? I'm currently running Cam out there most weeks with Eli sitting on my bench. Neither of whom are really inspiring dreams of a championship run late this season.

6. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I might consider streaming. Stanton's not a bad choice, but I like Teddy Bridgewater against a dreadful Bears team this week if he's available. The only thing that concerns me is that it's at Soldier field and it'll be windy.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you have an empty or very low value bench spot, it'd be worth picking up Stanton before the games today to see how well he performs. Depends on what your bench looks like, and who is available in FA.

If there are other reasonable options in FA, I'd rather hang onto a lottery ticket at RB/WR. I think Stanton's ceiling is going to be relatively low while his floor is yet to be determined.

8. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FYI - somebody dropped Big Ben so I picked him up and am starting him. So you can fully expect that he'll break a femur or something on monday night.

You're welcome.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started Big Ben over Stafford who finished today with a measly 5pts so I dodged that bullet, but now I've got RickyMya's evil on me...thanks.

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So how does everyone's playoff chances look?

Our league is a tight race. There are 8 teams within 2 games of first - 3 of them are 7-4, 3 are 6-5, 2 are 5-6. There are really only two teams that are eliminated.

Here's hoping Josh Gordon goes off this week while Antonio Brown is out.

11. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm tied for 1st at 8-3, and I play the guy I'm tied with this week. Unfortunately, I have Antonio Brown, Big Ben, and Heath Miller on a bye this week. Normally that shouldn't be a problem as all but Brown started the year as my backups. I have Stafford in for QB this week, but he's hasn't played all that well recently. Heath shouldn't be a problem as he is normally my backup for Julius Thomas, but he's injured and listed as questionable. Waiver wire options are rather limited as well; plus if I drop either somebody will surely snap them up.

I'm inclined to hope for the best this week and expect the loss. I'll end up tied with another guy for 2nd and the two other guys I play against to finish the season have banged up teams and are both under .500 at 5-6 and 4-7. It's a 12 team league with four of us currently above .500. so barring anything weird I'll make the playoff.

In my other league, I'm in 1st and clinched a playoff spot already, but it is a close race between 1st-4th. The teams in 5th & 6th have a shot at the last playoff spot and they guys in 7th & 8th are mathematically possible; however unless the guy in 4th implodes, more than likely the current teams in the top four will make the playoff. The bottom two are already eliminated.

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Pretty sure I cliched a playoff spot, but a bit worried about how I'll do when I'm there. I have a low ceiling, high floor kind of team, and I've basically been in the 115 point range in most games. Most of the time that's good enough to win, but I'm 0-3 against the rest of the top 4...

13. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

A couple fuckups have me on the outside looking in. I think I'm in the same boat as Nom, my team is steady top to bottom but I've had some issues where I've left points in my bench.

This is what I'm currently rolling with now that the trade deadline has passed.

QB - Jay Cutler
    RB - LeSean McCoy
    RB - Justin Forsett
    WR - T.Y. Hilton
    WR - Jeremy Maclin
    TE - Antonio Gates
    FLEX - Denard Robinson
    DEF - Chiefs
    K - Adam Vinatieri

Bench:

QB - Colin Kaepernick
    RB - Ryan Matthews
    RB - Jonas Gray
    RB - Isiah Crowell
    RB - Ronnie Hillman
    WR - Mike Wallace
    WR - Percy Harvin

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm #2 in the division and #4 overall, 6 teams make it into the playoffs. Clearly not safe at the moment.

I'm actually not 100% sure about ESPN playoff seeding. I think it takes the winner from each division and then essentially 4 "wild cards" which are the top ranked teams regardless of division?

The #1 and #3 guys in the division are both projected to lose this week which would put me in first but I'm not going to count my chickens there.

15. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

So this debackle went down in my league this week, and I would love our input on what happened with this trade.

Shane Vereen, Rashad Jenningings, Brandon LaFell ---> Jamaal Charles, Reggie Wayne

This was as of lastweek, so you can't take any of their perfrmances of last weekend into date. However Vereen had just come off f a 20+ point game after Ridey went down making Vereen the go to back in NE. Jennings was just coming off of an injury, Andre Williams has been underperforming, and Jennings was the #6 back when he went down. And Brandon Lafell had been performing like a top 10 reciever in the games he's played.

I was trading two starting runningbacks and a starting reciever for Charles and a backup WR. I was 9-1, and the team I was getting Charles from was 0-9. He was going to be able to make a formidable lineup to hopefully not go winless, and I was bolstering my lineup for the playoffs. I was giving up 3 players and all of my depth for an all in on Charles. The team I was getting Chares from would have been starting all 3 of the players I traded.

The trade is accepted Wed morning, giving a 48 hour window for vetos ending friday morning, and then for some reason the trade needed to pend for the weekend and the trade would only process on monday morning. Sunday night I see that the trade was vetod by the league manager. He says that people wanted the veto. I claimed that they had their time to veto the trade, and nobody spoke their mind. Because the veto happened 4 days after the review period. ( However the only reason the trade was being vetod was to keep my team from getting better, not because it was an uneven or unfair trade. Which is literally the embodiment of collusion as far as I am concerned.) I claim that he is changing the rules as he goes along, and he claims that it was what the league wanted and that because he is League Manager he has the power to do that, end of story.

I completely feel like I got super-fucked in this deal and that all these fuckers are just puckering on sour grapes, but if I am wrong I am open to hear it. I would love your input, and I can divulge any other details neccessary. Thanks.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

IMO, vetos are only to prevent collusion, not because people don't like the trade.

Nobody is going to like a trade that makes a good team better but that doesn't mean two adults can't come to a decision without a babysitter.

I'd be pissed, frankly.

FYI, the CBS Trade Value chart for week 10 (which is far from perfect but at least lets you compare different types of players) says that trade was slightly in your favor but not by enough that it should be vetoed.

17. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is a horseshit veto, and if that is a money league I'd demand my money back. Fuck them.

As for my prospects, I'm fucked in one league (thanks to the combined shit effort of Cam Newton and LeSean McCoy), and in my other I am in first by a game, and on top in points scored (potential tiebreaker) by a solid 300 points, mostly thanks to Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Matt Forte, and then bears offense (Despite having Forte, I've streamed defenses facing the Bears, which got me huge points a few weeks in a row).

I also have great playoff matchups, and I'm feeling good about winning that league. It'll be even letter if my brother wins their Sacko (a real bull-scrotum trophy he must display all year). I won't stop talking shit all year. But then again, I am a dick.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never thought I'd say this, but this year, bless the auto draft.

I had to miss our draft and the ESPN auto drafter managed to avoid every one of the first few rounds' worth of injuries and disappointments. I mean, you could argue that Jimmy Graham has been a "disappointment" for a first/second round choice, but not in the way that LeSean McCoy has.

19. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my one league I'm currently in first, and on paper, should dominate the rest of the way out, but shittier things have happened. Right now I'm going with this lineup:
    QB - Peyton Manning
    WR - Alshon Jeffery
    WR - Dez Bryant
    RB - Mark Ingram
    RB - Rashad Jennings
    TE - Gronk
    Flex - Josh Gordon
    K - Chandler Cantanzaro
    DST - Kansas City

My other league, I pretty much need a miracle this week against the top team just to keep my playoff hopes alive and the fact that Arian Foster is almost guaranteed to not play this week has put that in serious jeopardy. Here's hoping the Bears offense decides to have the game of the year since I'm starting 3 of their players on one team. (Cutler, Forte and Marshall)

20. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Fucking Sproles needs to die in a tire fire.