Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

As a Cowboys fan this offseason stirs the same feelings that every offseason for almost 20 years has: bitterness and contempt while hoping against hope that Jerr-ah will go into a coma, thus forcing them to(god forbid!) hire an actual GM.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just came.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have trouble seeing Bailey getting back to the Broncos. A CB making $10mil last year is probably going to get picked up somewhere else for more than he's worth but less than Denver paid him last year.

This is interesting... Wilfork asking to be released:
    <a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/444176971191169024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/444176971191169024</a>

4. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Parker was referring to the "Sign a one day contract and immediately retire" version of retiring as a Bronco.

5. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crazy but I could see them do it... We all know how Hoodie handles these things. It's a big loss though. There's no telling what would have been last year with him playing a full, healthy season.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I thought this was obvious as it's been done before.

I swear to god if the Broncos pick him up, I'm switching to soccer. That's be the end of the Patriots dynasty.

7. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would agree except for one thing. The old 49'rs. They dropped people before they hit the worst part of their decline and continued to bring in talent to replace them. I hate it as a Dolphins fan but the pats continually find a way to either draft or bring in just enough talent to be strong to real strong every year. I can't count how many times I've thought the tipping point had been reached and "there is no way they overcome that decision" only to be horribly disappointed. Wilfork is 10 years in and will decline soon. Better to let him go now and bring in a couple bodies to replace him. As long as their scouts find them new/young talent (I feel like I'm talking about a strip club) they'll be just fine.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wilfork would be fucking devastating in Seattle's D-line rotation. I don't expect Wilfork to take a minimum salary or anything, but seeing him lined up next to Avril, Bennett and Mebane in their base defense makes me moist.

It's a bummer that the team is being pecked at by the vulture that is free agency. Despite the fact that the guys that are free agents were role players, Seattle utilizes everybody like a rotational player. That's one of the reasons why Seattle was so healthy at the end of the year.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well the problem is, if this was part of the Patriot Way, I'd understand. If it was Bill's idea to drop him, I'd be upset, but I'd think "This is part of his plan, he knows what the fuck he's doing." BUT this was Wilfork's idea, which means they weren't planning for it, which means "Oh fuck..." This is a drafted Patriot that just decided he wants out, and they probably really expected him to go with the restructure. I'm not happy at all.

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's a 33 year old player who just tore his achilles tendon and ended his season, but is due one of the top salaries among defensive tackles.

This is business as usual for the team. The Patriots aren't going to fork out that kind of money with all of the question marks going into this next season, and I guarantee they were well aware that a highly performing and top paid player might not go along with a restructure. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a loss for them, just that it's not like Wilfork up and quit.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Brandon Browner to the Pats. It's been a while since they had a couple good physical corners. Interesting.

Reports off and on of Spikes signing with the Bills, now being denied... kinda hope he does, they just couldn't stop the run last year and despite Byrd leaving, I think their secondary will still do okay.

12. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's the over/under on him failing another drug test and getting a major suspension?

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meh, the Pats have a history of doing okay keeping problem children in line.

Spikes signed to a 1 year deal. I like it. Need to shore up that safety position and hopefully that opens up the Bills to take some talent in the draft.

14. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Panthers are being gutted. Steve Smith is now a Raven, Ginn went to the Cardinals, Munnerlyn to the Vikes, Mitchell to the Steelers, and both Jordan Gross and Hangartner are retiring. And all the talk about Hakeem Nicks coming to Charlotte went out the window when he signed a one year contract in Indy.

Free agency can is brutal sometimes, I just hope Gettleman can make some magic happen with the draft so we can at least compete next season.

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey fellow Vikings fans, what's the buzz around town about the free agent pickups? How does the city feel about Cassel? Are we looking at McCarron in the draft (round 2, i would assume)?

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try looking at Manziel with the 7th pick, from alot of mocks that I'm seeing.

Packers signed Julius Peppers. Not sure how I feel about it. For one, I don't know if he really fits in their 3-4 scheme. Secondly, he's gonna have a mediocre season...except against the Bears, I can just feel it.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Possible. But the weird thing with Browner is what exactly his violations were: two were incurred not because he tested positive for anything, but because he missed tests.... while playing in the CFL. Apparently NFL players are subject to Goodell's inquiries even when they don't play in the NFL, and live in another country. According to Browner, the letters to show up were also sent to an address where he no longer lived. I don't know why on earth this is allowable under the CBA.

The Wilfork thing confuses and scares me. It's apparently largely an issue of age/injuries vs salary cap. They asked him to take a paycut, he'd prefer not to. There's precedent there with the Patriots (Milloy, Law, Seymour, McGinest), and at his age it's hard to imagine him getting paid anything close to what he's getting paid now (4th best paid DT out there). This hardly seems like the place to get cheap, though; the defense looked gutted up the middle without him last year.

18. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be worried too, the guy is a real talent. Then again the bolded names were as well and they made it work. To Parker's point earlier, I don't think they planned on losing all of those guys either and not only did they survive it, they didn't suffer too much for it. Personally, I'd like to see them fall off a bit so the Phins can have a fighting chance at the division (young QB needs to build some confidence if he's going to be the guy), I just don't see the pats falling off too much.

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can not believe that anyone would sign Brandon Weeden. The Cowboys must really have faith in Tony.

20. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

James Jones said he would love to catch passes from Cam Newton and now he signs a deal with Oakland. I don't like to have knee jerk reactions to the upcoming season while we're still in March, but damn, the Panthers offense is looking pretty thin at the moment.