Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get ready for another season of Cam sitting on the bench with a towel over his head.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no idea who Cam is going to throw the ball too. What the fuck is their plan offensively?

Also, what the fuck is up with Lovie Smith? Not even going to have a QB competition, not even a fake one. Just said "Fuck it, we're going with Josh McCown" even though the guy has 10+ years of mediocrity, then 6 decent appearances under a QB Whisperer of a coach with a top 5 RB and two ridiculous receivers. I get Mike Glennon isn't the next Tom Brady, but the kid should have a shot under decent coaching.

3. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People in TB and around the league are going to learn what Chicago fans learned a long time ago. Lovie Smith is an amazing defensive coordinator and coach, who should never, ever be allowed near an offensive decision. It's the reason his teams defenses were Super Bowl ready, but he wasn't even capable of putting a mediocre offense on the field to put them over the top. They never needed a Peyton-Manning-ish offense, they needed an offense that could rank in the top 15. Even his best season, the Super Bowl season against the Colts, it was all defense and special teams. They scored a fuckton of points, but it was because of Hester and the defense setting records.

Lovie is the guy who stuck with Rex Grossman, for fuck sake. He knows nothing about offense.

That Super Bowl against the Colts perfectly encapsulated what was wrong with Lovie Smith's Bears. Started great with a Hester return TD, then the Colts took over and never looked back. The 29-17 end score wasn't even close if you take away the 1 Hester return TD to start the game. And if I recall correctly, Indy's defense wasn't a world beater, it just treated the Bears pathetic offense like the joke it was.

4. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What I can never understand is these WRs who run towards piles of cash and poor offenses, and away from established, successful offenses, led by future Hall of Fame QBs with an immediate chance at a ring. I can't imagine a position more dependent on the QB and the established offense than a WR, and these guys make these decisions seemingly without considering the dropoff in the current and future situations.

Decker leaving the best offense of all time, led by arguably the best QB of all time, to Geno Smith and the Jets, um okay. James Jones and Greg Jennings leaving the pass happy, Rodgers-led Packers to fade into obscurity on Pryor's Raiders and Ponder/Freeman/Cassel's Vikings. Another one, to a lesser degree, is Mike Wallace last year leaving Pittsburg for Miami.

And cool, bro, you got your money and you're finally WR1. But after this contract you'll be on the wrong side of the pinnacle of your career, what do you think your next contract will look like?

5. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I think I've solved the case.

Seriously though, in a league with largely unguaranteed contracts, I'd take all the guaranteed, upfront money I could get. Especially in a sport like football, where one bad hit could potentially end your career.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, given the average length of an NFL career, and the potential health consequences, I have a hard time faulting anyone from heading for the highest bidder. Especially with the variation in teams from year to year - yes, Denver has a high powered offense with Manning under center, but good defenses showed how shallow that team was. With Manning in his last couple years, and Decker probably being at the height of his value right now, he's getting $15m in guarantees while he can.

If Manning goes down or the team doesn't do as well next year, his next offer would probably be half the current one. What are the chances of Decker doing much better than this past season which saw all kinds of passing records set? Unlikely.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On top of the fact Manning has a habit of throwing his receivers into situations where safeties can fucking eat them alive.

8. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're thinking of Eli. Peyton doesn't get them murdered quite at the rate his brother does.

9. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

God. Fucking. Damnit.

I know there's worse NFL teams to be fans of (off the top of my head, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Oakland), but god almighty, being a Cowboys fan means you're a masochist more and more as the years go by.

10. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Bitch please, at least you've got championships to look back on. What the fuck have I got?

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Vick to the Jets?

12. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Bill Belichick and Revis have a chat...funny <a class="postlink" href="http://profootballmock.com/iphone-text/intercepted-text-bill-belichick-welcomes-darrelle-revis-new-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballmock.com/iphone-text/ ... ew-england</a>

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is so damn funny, I forgot I found it here, and was coming back to post it to share with everyone...

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

And this is where Ballsack would chime in with some hysterical screed about how Belicheat is the biggest scumbag in sports and then some unrelated ranting about how he hates every player. I can't believe I miss that guy.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He'd actually probably just assume that was all true, or at the very least, based on true events.

16. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bears signed Jared Allen, and I just don't know what to think.

On the one hand, he is going to be an upgrade over Peppers, and he is generally pretty consistent, and gives he Bears the pass rush they need.

On the other hand, he is 32, and how much longer can he go at that level? Plus, the Bears just signed 2 new D ends, so now they have a 3rd? A 3 man rotation at that position would help keep them all, especially Allen, fresh all season, but there seem to be other positions that need addressing (see: Safety, Middle LB, safety, D tackle, and safety). Maybe move one of those newly signed Ends in to D tackle (I remember hearing the guy they signed from Oakland could move inside and play Tackle)? I'm just curious, but if the Bears can get that defense going, they could be a dangerous threat to Green Bay's dominance of the NFC North.

Related note: I love everything the Bears have done since new GM Emery came in. He actually seems to know what he is doing, and I love them having a GM I can trust.

17. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

::Takes break from throwing darts/knives/anything even remotely dangerous at a large picture of Jerry Jones and looks at screen::

Must be nice, huh???

::Goes back to throwing knives at Jerry's face::

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/cowboys-will-have-a-hard-time-pursuing-money-from-ratliff/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... m-ratliff/</a>

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

And sadly you'll never know the feeling until that ego maniac is dead.

19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Yeah, the Cowboys have never won anything with Jerry as GM.

Oh, wait.

20. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

All I'm saying is, over the last seventeen years there have been so many fuckup-eries that would have gotten any GM fired(like the thing I linked above. Or the entire draft classes that have been gone three years later. And so on.), but what happens? Jerry just spouts some asinine bullshit about "this being the year" or something about the "high standards" he has. It's infuriating. Yes, the three rings are great, but after almost two decades of aggravating bullshit (not to mention the last three years of sudden death clusterfucks) I have every right to complain, and so would anyone else here(or anywhere else for that matter).