Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Feb 12, 2014.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

IMO, the rings have nothing to do with the fact he is what he is. If anything I think that due to him being...well him, takes away from the fact they have the rings because his being a DB overshadows it.

2. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

"Right to complain" is such an egotistical, entitled statement I have no words for it.

I will say this. At the very least the Cowboys are competitive year in and year out. Granted, they have had their share of blunders, but it's so incredibly hard for any team to win a championship that I'd at least take solace in having a team owner that cares. Would you rather have a team owner like Mike Brown, or perhaps owned by Jimmy Haslam? Even people who supposedly know what they're doing fuck up all the time if the situation isn't right (see: Mike Holmgren in Cleveland).

All I'm saying is that people love to shit on Jerry Jones as if his teams go 3-13 every year. He's assembled some talented teams that for whatever reason either didn't gel (see: 2004, although a big part of it was Parcells fault) or they just don't get it done for a variety of reasons. Hell, in 07 I remember thinking the Cowboys were the only team that could possibly beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, they lost to the Giants and we all know how that turned out.

At least he's trying to make the team better, and he's put together some talented teams. The Cowboys have made the playoffs more often than not. Saying that two decades of not winning a championship is unacceptable completely diminishes the fact that it is incredibly hard for any team to win it all. Not only do you have to put talent together, but you have to avoid the injury bug and have lady luck smile on you. Honestly, with his track record if JJ was quiet and reserved people wouldn't give him 90% of the shit they do. But because he makes himself so public people love to hate on him, although he must be doing something right if they generate the most revenue out of any team in the NFL.

He actually cares about his team, which gets him points in my book. Of course he's going to hype up every year. Would you rather him tell you he thinks this year is going to suck? Could he pick someone better as GM? Maybe, but he could also pick someone worse. The draft is such a toss-up that it's hard to be consistently good at it. Heck, look at it this way. With the vitriol you have for JJ I bet you would've loved it if Dallas hired Pioli away from the Pats in 07 right? Well, KC thought so too, and look how that turned out.

Edit: I'm defending Jerry Jones. It might be drinking time.

3. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

"Right to complain" is something every fan has and exercises regularly, its part of being a fan (though I admit I could have said in a way that sounded less douchey). There's fucking Pats fans I know that complain about the fact that they haven't gotten to the Super Bowl since their last Giants matchup; who cares, they're fans.

Just a page or two ago I said something like "I know there are some teams that have it worse" and then listed some. The Cowboys have made the playoffs four times in the last fifteen years(with exactly one victory) so I don't know where you're getting this "Cowboys make the playoffs more often then not" thing from. They're record since 1997 is 135-135...not exactly competitive. I never said anything about the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl every year(although let's be honest, what fan doesn't want that for their team?), hell at this point I'll take a playoff appearance that they aren't set-in-stone-by-everyone to lose. The defense last year was historically bad(although I'll be the first to admit that injuries played a part there) and their O-line was nothing to write home about either. Romo.....is Romo: A good-but-not-great quarterback who almost certainly gets too much shit(I most certainly include myself here) because whenever he fucks up it happens to be THE BIG GAME(whatever that might be that particular year).

You say at least he cares about his team...and I just don't think that's the case. I think he cares about money, and so long as "Americas Team" has just enough talent to not be irrelevant, he'll keep getting plenty of it. Hiring a GM and letting him work would at least the team a chance. Sure there have been plenty of bad GMs out there, but they can(and have been) fired for a lot less than Jerrah's fuck-ups.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manziel walked out to his Pro Day to a Drake track, and has just been blasting hip-hop during all the drills. Love it. Stodgy haters are gonna be up in arms I'm sure, but given that its being streamed on fucking ESPN3, its pretty good theater.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Johnny Football" is the Kanye West of college football. No way he is as good as advertised as a pro.

Imagine you have a job that pays you ten million dollars per year.
    To get this money you can either massage your customer or piss on their face. Same money, same outcome no matter what.
    Pissing takes less time, effort so you just piss on their face. What are they going to do, they'll keep coming back.
    After a few years of getting pissed on, the customer yells "Hey asshole, why not give me a massage? I'm tired of getting pissed on!"
    You laugh, pull out your junk and pee on them again.

Now you know what it's like to be the owner of the Cleveland Browns.

6. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I feel really bad for Cleveland Brown fans, hell, for Cleveland fans in general. I'm trying to think of a city that has had the sports gods of the three sports I watch(football, basketball, baseball) deal them a shittier hand over the years...nothing's coming up.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

San Diego is a champ-free zone as well, but only two pro teams to Cleveland's three. Still, Cleveland is cursed and nothing can save them. Not their shitty weather, their Rock and Roll HOF or their Steamers.

8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

They don't call it "the factory of sadness" for nothing...

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Turns out Wilfork isn't going anywhere.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337601/article/vince-wilfork-patriots-agree-to-threeyear-extension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -extension</a>

10. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

13. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Eh, one has to wonder if the Hernandez thing hadn't gone down the way it did would this be happening?

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread has been reporting Parker as the last poster for 24+ hours now.

So I like to imagine him at the end of this thread, reading that comment over and over, weeping quietly to himself about what could have been.

15. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Schedule is out. Isn't it odd the Seachickens aren't playing Denver in the opener? Anyway, I'm so tired I can barely function which is why I've been unsuccessful in my Googlefu to find a pdf for the entire schedule. Link? Anyone? Please?

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Draft night!

17. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

ESPN's draft team is fucking horrible. I can't believe how much they're on Manziel's nuts; they're basically treating him like the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady combined. They trashed pretty much every team that didn't draft him, even going so far as to suggest that the Cowboys consider him. It's like every year they try to see if they can outdo themselves in shittiness.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Per Adam Schefter

STL haul for RGIII: Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead, Rokevious Watson, Alec Ogletree, Stedman Bailey,Zac Stacy, Greg Robinson

Jesus Christ. Transactions that one-sided usually occur in prison showers.

19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I was actually a little surprised Arizona didn't stand pat and take Manziel instead of picking up a third rounder to move down 7 spots. Zona has a good team, sit Manziel behind Palmer and have him learn.

I liked the Pats picking up Easley. God please pick up pass rushers. PLEASE. Nothing is more frustrating than watching Ninkovich get blocked 7 yards from the QB as they take 10 seconds to find their 4th option. Chandler Jones is good, but it seems that if his first move gets neutralized he doesn't really have a second move outside of just trying to bull rush the blocker. Who was the last Patriots pass rusher worth a damn? McGinest? Was it Willie fucking McGinest? Good god.

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

My favorite part of the entire thing was Deion asking Johnny if he had to pee since all we saw him do was drink gallons of water while waiting for his....umm...sentence.

Gold.