Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The funny thing is that I see McCarron and Dalton as being basically the same sort of QB, so swapping them out wouldn't accomplish much. I've heard rumors that McCarron fell because he came off as kind of a dick in the interviews. Still, analysts were talking about him like he was Greg McElroy, even though McCarron was much better throughout his time at Bama.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The way we talk about quarterbacks is weird. How many NFL teams are sending out the same QB as four years ago? I count about 10, and that's including Sam Bradford. Turnover at the position is a bitch.

If you're the 10th best defensive tackle and lead an impressive defense, you're a great player. Tenth best quarterback and you're doing just well enough to get by. Plus, once you start winning, the expectation is that you keep doing so. Going forward, every year Dalton doesn't make the playoffs will be held against him. Until you have a ring, the demand is always "onwards and upwards." What if they regress a bit and turn in a few 8-8 seasons in a row? It's unfair, but in the NFL, only 5-10 quarterbacks at any point in time truly have secure jobs.

Also, "he could be Flacco" is the faintest praise anyone has ever given a professional athlete.

What's amazing to me is that Marvin Lewis still has a job, when almost no one considers him to be very good. He's currently the second longest tenured NFL coach, and the rest of the top 6 all have at least one Super Bowl ring. He also has the worst record of any incumbent coach hired prior to 2012. If he hit the market tomorrow, would anyone in the league be calling him about HC positions? He's the epitome of doing just well enough to not be fired.

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Marvin Lewis is blessed with an owner who is both cheap and irrationally loyal.

4. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Look, I'm not saying I'd agree with it if it happened (you could pretty much cut and paste my comments about Romo--the whole "good but not great" part--and have it apply to Dalton) and I do know that organization higher ups like him. But evidently they don't like him enough to sign him to an extension on his walk year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been any extension talks that I'm aware of, and if he really is top-third/top-ten/whatever material he's only going to get more expensive if he excels next season.

Again, I'm not saying I'd agree with it if it happened. I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They actually have sent him a contract extension. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/12/5711734/report-significant-contract-package-sent-to-andy-daltons-camp-by" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/12/57 ... ns-camp-by</a>

By being Joe Flacco, I meant that he could be a game manager, that uses the tools around him to win games, and doesn't have to be the super star. Those kind of QBs win superbowls too.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dave Lapham is the best announcer in the biz, bar none, HI-larious.

Ive always been on the Blame Marvin train but he has improved in the past few years with less mind boggling challenges and more fuck it lets go for it attitude. I don't like the "well we've at least been to the play offs, better than the 90's Bengals" argument. I'd hope the organization has more expectations of "we are going to make a deep run into the play offs every year" like the big boy teams do, I know too many Bengal fans that see losing three first round play off games in a row as a good thing (five under Marvin)...

7. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crazy lawsuit filed against Johnny Manziel by Samantha Schacher who is a CNN contributor and a co-host on Dr. Drew's show

http://deadspin.com/25-million-lawsuit-filed-against-johnny-manziel-is-bat-1580596256

some highlights

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As awesomely funny as this would be...it is not true: http://www.wtam.com/onair/mike-trivisonno-2339/best-judicial-system-in-the-world-12387427/

The man who filed the lawsuit, defaming Samantha Schacher among others, is thought to be Jonathan Lee Riches.

http://www.wtam.com/onair/mike-triv...l-system-in-the-world-12387427/#ixzz32eMcr2b4

9. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Colin Kaepernick signs for 6 years and 126 million dollars of which 61 million is guaranteed. It is nice to see he will be a 49er for awhile.

10. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded