Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 NFL Season (Pre&Regular)

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#601 Parker, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

And, at this point I really don't give two shits about fucking deflategate. I'm sick of hearing about it and it's taking away from the superbowl. Fine the team, wtf ever just move on already.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You obviously haven't seen "A Gronking to Remember" on Amazon then.

4. Uziel

Uziel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As a lifelong Niners fan, this could not be a worse Super Bowl combination. Even worse, I am forced to root for the Seahawks. I know its sports taboo to ever root for another team in your division but let me explain. It's about legacy. Joe Montana, the greatest quarterback to ever live has four Super Bowl rings. Tom Brady has three. Tom Brady is a great quarterback and is often mentioned in the greatest of all time debate. If he gets a fourth ring his legacy may surpass Montana's. If Brady wasn't the quarterback for the Patriots I'd root for them all day but since he is I will reluctantly cheer on my teams rivals. Fuck you Tom Brady but nothing personal.

5. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

May surpass Montana? May?

He gets a 4th ring and it's over for Joe "I am just here for the free pizza" Montana.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whether he wins or not it will still be a debate. You could easily argue Brady isn't even the best of his era. You could not say the same about Montana. And superbowls are not be all end all of judging qbs. There's a reason no one would ever claim Bradshaw is the best ever.

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Montana is better regardless of the outcome. If Brady wins he will have a 75% winning percentage in the Super Bowl, if he loses a 50% winning percentage. Joe Montana retired with a 100% winning percentage in Super Bowls. In addition, the next interception Joe Montana throws in a Super Bowl will be his first. Lastly, The Forty Niners were underdogs in three of the four Super Bowls that Montana played in.

Brady is good, Montana was better.

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nonsense, yes I can. I can argue he wasn't even the best quarterback on the late 1980s and early 1990s San Francisco 49ers. And that Dan Marino and maybe John Elway were also better than Montana.

Granted, I don't know whether I believe some, all, or none of those things, but they're in the realm of reasonable discussion.

When you're talking about greatest quarterbacks, as long as your answer is in the list of "Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, Montana, Young, Unitas" it's acceptable. There are no wrong answers here.

Let me get this straight: according to you, if Brady wins this year but had not gotten to the Super Bowl in 2007 or 2011, he would be a better quarterback than he is now, because he'd have the same 4-0 record in them as Montana?

OK, that makes sense. It's not like getting to the Super Bowl at all is hard or anything.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have never heard anyone argue Elway was better than Montana, and that doesn't even approach reasonable. I have also never heard anyone claim Steve Young was better than Montana. I've heard one, maybe two dolphins homers call Marino the best ever. I'm sure people trying to make those cases exist, but they are no where near the 50/50 room splitting debate Brady/Manning always has been.

Even at this point in his career you would find more people putting Rodgers ahead of Brady on the all time list than you would find people putting Elway ahead of Montana. Montana was the best of his era, and no it isn't debatable or at all close.

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course it's not 50-50. That doesn't make it uncontestable, which is what you were implying. It's not "Who's better, Joe Montana or Drew Bledsoe?" The answer mostly just depends on how much you think rings matter, and peak value vs longevity.

I don't actually believe Elway is better, it's just a thing I've heard. But Jason Whitlock says it, for what it's worth. Hardly a nobody. Elway had more Pro Bowl quality seasons. And PF Reference's "career value" stats also have Elway, although a lot of that is volume/longevity driven.

And Young's per-game/attempt numbers are better in almost every respect than Montana. The only statistical categories in Montana's favor is sack rate (and passing yards per game, but Young wins in passing+rushing per game so that strikes me as a style difference). Young is statistically, on a per game level, the greatest retired quarterback to ever play the game. There is a good case that the only reason Young is not roundly considered the greatest was that Montana was already entrenched in the job, and that the 49ers could have won one or both of the 1987 or 1988 Super Bowls with Young.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with Rodgers being ahead of Brady if he keeps it up for another 5 to 10 years. His numbers are as insanely good, but longevity counts. Personally, if I have to choose, I take Manning, Brady, Montana, Young in that order, but consider it so close that the order doesn't matter.

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aside from the shameless hypocrisy, why would anyone pay $150 for a group of photos you can easily get for free? Granted, there was only 100 in the edition.

And I'm cool with fining people when they deserve it, but fining Lynch for that was really a stretch.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really don't think they're going to be able to pin anything on the Patriots except a large fine, the draft picks are going to be a stretch. They haven't found shit. Nothing was done in the view of a camera and after interviewing forty people, no one has said a goddamn thing. The Patriots are better than black people when it comes to not talking to the "police" at this point. That statement they released on the ass-end of Friday is a precursor statement to "we haven't found shit, so let's move on."

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is surprisingly compelling...

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open ... b5c4e64cf3

If most of it is true, I actually feel bad for the guy, needs a better agent/manager. I'm inclined to believe him cause its alot more than he said, she said, there is evidence that exists to support him.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Rodgers wins MVP. He scored 31 of the 50 votes.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, someone give me a ruling.

This guy I used to work with was always a Cowboys fan. He even had the Cowboys star tattooed on his forearm.

Then he moved to Seattle about 3 years ago. Now everything is "12th man", Seattle this, etc. Today he was posting shit about how Seattle is now "America's Team".

I haven't lit into him yet, because he does live in Seattle now. But it just doesn't feel right to me. If you like the Cowboys enough to tattoo the team logo onto your body then I don't think you should change teams depending on where you live.

Who's right here?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd say a Seahawks tramp stamp is in his future.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT CATCH

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Aaaaand way to fucking blow it Seattle. You didn't run that why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.