Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2015 Holiday WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  2. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My mom quit smoking when I got asthma as a kid. Kinda wish I didn't have asthma, since it sucks, but I'll give her credit for stopping when she saw what it was doing.

3. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

So y'all know that ear piercing fad that's been all over Facebook about how it's supposed to help migraines?

Turns out, at least in my experience, there's something to it.

My mother in law had to go on long term disability then ultimately retire because of migraines, and has been barely functional long as I've known her. My wife has terrible migraines too. I suggested to my wife she try it out, worst case is it doesn't work and she takes the piercing out.

A week in and neither of them have had any issues (used to be daily for both). Don't care if it's placebo or not, if it works it works.

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Almost certainly the placebo effect, but I'm of the opinion that a decent chunk of the cases of frequent migraines are at least partially psychosomatic.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Yeah, her (in law's) fucked up marriage and the fact that she has lived next door to her parents since.... well, she still lives next door, and the insuing stress from that almost certainly has nothing to do with it. Nor does my wife's stress from having to deal with her stress for, oh, two decades or so. Nope, not a factor at all.

But hey, whatever works. There's a lot of nerve endings there and if it helps, especially where prescription-grade, crazy-side-effect pharmaceuticals don't, I'm all for it!

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't wrap my head around a situation where it makes any sort of economic sense for a used truck from Texas to end up in Turkey. How much does it have to cost to ship a pickup from Texas to Turkey? Is eastern Europe suffering from a massive truck shortage? How is this possibly a profitable system?

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yikes. My mom used to snip the address labels off the magazines that she took down to my dad's office lobby, because she used to say "you never know where they'll end up." Good advice.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About five years ago, I sold a high-mileage Toyota SUV on Cars.com because I got a much better offer than from the dealer. The guy who bought it was an auto broker in Florida, and I actually dealt with a work-at-home sales mom who lived near me in Georgia. They FedEx'd me a cashier's check, came to my house to get the title from me, and picked up the car on a car hauler. The car was loaded with other high-mileage SUV's. I talked to the broker the next day to follow up on something, and I asked him about it. He said they'll all go through an auction and likely end up in the middle east.

I got more than the dealer offered, the broker got a piece, the sales mom got a commission, it went to auction, where the auction host got a cut, and so on. I have no idea how it can go through that many hands and be profitable.

12. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just reactivated my Netflix account for the first time since April.

Homeland is great and all, but I can't stand the subplot about the daughter. She is basically my little sister, but somehow even more annoying.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agree on that, for the exact same reason.

I just started watching Mr. Robot last night. That show is good. Surprisingly good. Who knew that USA could put together a really good cyber-punk show that doesnt dumb down the dialogue with an overload of meaningless technobabble? Of course theyre going to take liberties for the sake of the show like the idea of blowing up a pipeline to fuck up Iron Mountain or whatever, but its not this:

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.theidiotboard.com/threads/mr-robot.254175/

Those shows have an effects department, and include computer tech guys who can create mock websites or various other things that look flashy onscreen. It would take the shortest of conversations with someone who knows something about programming or computer "stuff" (not me) to know that a line like "GUI interface using visual basic to track the killer's IP address" is meaningless. Either that was a placeholder line by the writer that didn't get corrected or the actual technical advisory was fucking with a producer. Which is hilarious.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I like to think that there's a room of really smart techies supplying this dialogue that are just seeing how far they can push the techno-babble bullshit meter before they get called on it.

I imagine they're sitting around the room, slack-jawed, saying, "really?" after the show-runners just go with what they're given.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am also inclined to believe this if only because the dialog is usually syntactically correct while also being nonsense, and that makes me think they're probably doing it on purpose.

17. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You people know nothing about software development. When you double down on the interfaces (graphical use interface interface, as mentioned in the clip) using VB it allows you to actually see into The Matrix, and the people walking around are represented by their IP address.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would've been better if Gary Sinise had turned around and said, "Why don't I create a gooey in your face, while Melina Can O' Cheese watches?"

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

image.jpg

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<knock, knock> Mr. Sinise? Call time.
    Don't come in! I'm enhancing my gooey in her face!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.