Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's my team, ruining offensive greats behind shitty lines and QB's who hang receivers out to dry over the middle. It's the Lions way.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know it's preseason, but I had to laugh when I saw the box score for the Bills/Giants last night. The Giants went 8 for 25 for 64 yards and 2 picks. Amazing.

3. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

So most of the always-hilarious "Why Your Team Sucks 2016" editions. Find your team and mock your rival's team (fuck the Jets!*)

http://deadspin.com/tag/why-your-team-sucks-2016

*Everybody thinks it's weird that I'm a Cowboys fan and the one team I absolutely hate is the Jets. These people simply have not yet come to the realization that the Jets are the spawn of Satan. Fuck them.

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Tony Romo is hurt again... Broken bone in his back. The media has been swinging on Dak Prescott's nuts all pre-season, and it looks like he gets at least the first half of the season to start. Anyone else see a Tom Brady-esque takeover in the works here? Second year in a row Romo will miss at least half the season.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He should retire.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The whole Kaepernick saga is just fucking wrong. He not only makes millions, but wasn't he was adopted into a family with fucking money? Lots of it? What the fuck.

And his timing.....WAY bad. What a boob.

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kaepernick is a fucking douchebag. "Gee, I'm not gonna stand... Why? Because 1) no one is talking about me. Because I got benched for Blaine Fucking Gabbert. 2) I'm not going to stand because oh jeez, so many people are oppressed. Not me. I make MILLIONS. 3) Not standing may cost me sponsors, but look at exhibit 1. 4) If I stood for the National Anthem, would anyone even remember my fucking name?"

Bottom line: This is a fucking PR stunt. It gets his name out there. It costs him NOTHING. He gets his name mentioned millions of times a day, there are no fines, no *real* backlash. He's not donating his time, his money or his effort. Gee, don't fucking stand for 90 seconds once a week. BIG FUCKING DEAL, COCKSUCKER.

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The cynic in me assumes that he knows he is going to get cut and is trying to frame it so that non football fans assume he is just being punished for supporting BLM, therefore forcing the 49ers into deciding if the outrage is worth the roster spot.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Obviously he's very selective in his protesting. Isn't there an American flag on the back of every NFL helmet? Why isn't he protesting by refusing to wear a helmet?

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just out of curiosity why do you guys champion free speech when someone is making fun of minorities or gays, but get pissed when someone does it by sitting down during the national anthem?

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    He has every right to sit down during the anthem. I have every right to call him an asshole for doing it. That's the way it works.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My problem isn't him sitting down during the national anthem... It's the fucking hypocrisy of "Oh, gee, I'm not gonna stand because these poor people are being persecuted" while making millions of dollars a year playing a professional sport. He isn't raising any awareness: All this stuff is in the news daily anyway. It's him making it about himself and taking no personal loss... He still gets his paycheck no matter what. He is also not donating any time, effort or money.

I mean, fuck... What's sitting for an extra 90 seconds when he's gonna ride that fucking seat all year long?

#32 $100T2, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He could be leading a protest and shutting down a highway like other people have done to get media attention. He managed to accomplish the same thing without fucking up anyone's life. I guess everyone has different opinions. I just don't see the issue with what he did.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Because there's a time and place for everything.

In the same way that this: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/canadian-national-anthem-all-lives-matter-change-1.3676477
    was wrong, so is what he did.

If he wanted to go do a separate press release, on his own time, then go nuts. Doing it the way he did was, I think, inappropriate, and as others have said, somewhat of a PR stunt.

Regardless of what was right or wrong about it, I firmly believe he's a douchebag now because of it.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently he tweeted out that there was no difference between the American flag and the confederate flag. From a half black man making 19 million a year during the second term of a black president. No difference. One might wonder what the war was about then.

He's mostly spouted off a lot of vague generalities. Bad shit be happening man. With all the money he has he could do something more productive for the black community than sitting on his ass when they sing the anthem.

Even without him needlessly stirring up controversy in this way, the 49ers should have stuck with Alex Smith. He's been one of the better QBs in the league since he left, and he was when they let him go. You don't drop someone who looks like a franchise QB because the back up stepped in and had a couple good games. Sheesh.

16. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother saw Kaepernick at a day club pool in Vegas a while back. Said he came in with about a dozen trailer treasures, my brother lost respect for him right then, a dude making 19 million a year showing up at a pool with scrubs. With that in mind I can't remember ever thinking Kaepernick was a classy guy so I guess I'm not surprised he would pull something like this right before he gets cut, he really has nothing to lose and as was mentioned above it is his right to get behind anything he wants and our right to disagree with his method.

Side note, apparently Odell Beckham Jr shows up a Vegas pool clubs with much hotter women, according to my brother. My brother may spend a lot of time in Vegas...

17. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't know if it was inappropriate in that this is the only way he is going to get attention. If he does a separate press release no one is going to pay attention. He then did a 20 minute press conference with well thought-out and reasonable answers and explanations for what he thinks and believes. You might not agree with him but at least he has his reasons.
    I think this has stirred up emotions because more and more sports are becoming associated with patriotism and the military and perhaps those links aren't as sincere as we think. The NFL exploits this contrived connection all the time with the 'military husband comes home to wife and family' reunion on the field. This Deadspin article: http://deadspin.com/surprise-military-reunions-at-nfl-games-reach-peak-bull-1727940877 highlights the hypocrisy in that.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He's paid to show up and do a job, it's not his personal forum to send his "message".

It doesn't matter if he gets attention or not.

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did he do his job? According to the box score he did play. I'm pretty sure that is his job.

Maybe we should be mad at the media for covering it. Is all he did was sit down.

20. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Does this only apply to negative messages though? Athletes use their positions as personal forums all the time to send all sorts of messages and support for whatever causes they choose. They do this because it is the only way to get attention. No one has ever come out and said that is inappropriate and they get paid to do a job and should just shut up about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.