Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If by "negative", you mean disruptive, then I think it's inappropriate.

The NFL steps in all the time and regulates what players can and cannot do or portray while on the field.

And I also think that the media is giving it way too much attention.

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That was the entire reason for when he choose to do it. If he felt that way why did he not sit it out for EVERY game?

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bridgewater just went down in practice, ambulance took him away, sounds like a knee ligament went on him.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  5. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He got what he wanted. His name back in the press. That's all this was about.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Knee ligaments don't get you in an ambulance. I blew out every ligament except my ACL and finished my day at work when it happened.

EDIT: wow, aren't I wrong. Dislocated knee, torn ACL. Done for the year.

#46 $100T2, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Agreed. Even if Tebow is that stupid(which I don't believe), his agent/manager/handlers aren't. This was bringing attention to his Brand and nothing more.

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Personally, I don't really care about a player trying to make a statement and I don't give a rat's ass most of the time when these things happen. I don't tune into an NFL broadcast because I care about the player's political opinions. This particular incident only piqued my interest because I think he is being disingenuous on account of the fact that he was raised by a wealthy white family and probably has only ever been "black" when it was cool or convenient.

I actually hope that he staged it for attention ahead of his likely being cut, because this controversy will pretty much guarantee that the Vikings won't touch him with a 10-foot pole now. They've already been through this shit with Kluwe.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So... His opinion doesn't matter/is stupid because he wasn't raised poor?

I mean, I don't really care about this whole thing. It seems like petty bullshit. But "he was raised in a rich white family" hardly seems like a valid reason to dismiss him.

On a different note, it sounds like Bridgewater's knee is fucked but it might not be a career ender (no nerve/arterial damage).

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're not wrong - they wouldn't have called the ambulance just for ligaments. The dislocated knee is why they called it, he was in an air cast and they were concerned for damage to the arteries.

11. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

How the hell do you dislocate a knee in a non-contact situation? That's got to be a pretty freak occurrence. Vikings fans must be feeling pretty cursed right now.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I blew my knee out playing basketball, no contact. All that sudden stopping and twisting put a lot of force on the joint. It probably didn't help that I was 15 and 6'6" though.

13. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The way I've heard it described sounds a lot like what happened to Shaun Livingston.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Worst. Injury. Ever.

WARNING: This CANNOT be un-seen.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Further proving he's studied oppression thoroughly and made sure he's gotten his facts correct, Kaepernick attends a press conference two days ago wearing a t-shirt with Fidel Castro on it.

Fidel Castro, the beacon of freedom who has nothing at all to do with oppressing anyone.

What a fucking tool.

colin-kaepernick-castro-t-shirt.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/kaepernick-wears-castro-t-shirt/

16. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was also wearing socks with cartoon pigs wearing police hats on them today. I still respect his right to sit during the national anthem. And I partially agree with his message. But in the end he is either a retard or the ultimate troll.

17. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually get a chuckle out of that. Like, did he go out looking for something like that? Spending the whole day wandering around the mall asking clerks if they had something derogatory towards the police. Or maybe he found them online and paid extra for shipping to get them this week. Or maybe he already had them, and this whole thing was just an excuse to wear those socks on TV.

18. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, that picture is from a couple weeks ago

19. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I say this having no particular insight into Kaepernick's mind or motivation (although perplexingly, some other posters seem to...). I'll even leave the literal and symbolic content of his actions alone, since that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I can't for the life of me understand this belief. Was he not black when driving? When in the shopping mall? When walking past the cops down the street? When trying to get a summer job as a teenager? When interacting with teachers? Was he somehow walking around wearing a sign saying, "I'm one of the good ones, treat me as if I'm white" during every facet of his life?

Systemic economic and educational racism is important, but what about just good ol' fashioned walking around racism? How do we know what his experience as a black man has been like?

Are we to think that in his years of playing collegiate and professional football, as well as the rest of his life, he has not had friends who were black that have relayed their experiences to him? Or that his hometown only being 1.7% black couldn't have affected his experience living there?

Must one have literally had a jackboot upon one's throat to be peeved about something?

How do you or I know what he does or does not do with his time, effort, or money? Maybe it's all blow and hookers! But I'm not his accountant or scheduler.

Almost all protesting is a PR stunt (even though I know that's not how you meant the word, since 'stunt' is rarely used non-pejoratively), since they are (1) public facing, and (2) "something unusual done to attract attention" (aka, the dictionary definition of a stunt). There is a reason the Million Man March was done in DC and not Boise: if a protest happens and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

Presumably when you say 'inappropriate' you mean something beyond "a thing his employer would prefer he not do," because if that were the case it'd be between his Jed York and him with no cause for you or I to give a rat's ass one way or another. I assume you it is in some sense morally inappropriate.

The question is, why? What moral right do we as NFL viewers have to not be "disrupted" in watching the game? What makes an NFL game not the time or the place? When did it become sacramental?

#59 MoreCowbell, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Honestly, I just want to watch some football, not listen to someone go off on whatever is their "protest de jour". That's what I mean by inappropriate.

Just like this: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/canadian-national-anthem-all-lives-matter-change-1.3676477

Fuck that. It's inappropriate.

On game day, you're there to play and promote your sport, period. If you want to do something outside of game time, go nuts... call your own press release, use your fame and stature to promote whatever cause you want. Just leave the fucking politics in the locker room when you take the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.