Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what I give him credit for? Not saying, "dude, wtf? Is it because I'm Black?" Seriously, he'd have a point. If Brady or Rodgers were taking those hits, it'd have been flag city. Cam is no longer a rookie, he has an MVP and he's led a team to the Super Bowl. The montage you posted didn't even include the smacks he took to the head with arms and hands. All of which I've seen called plenty of times, usually while Brady is looking up at the ref with whiney face. It seems that sometimes people are quick to unnecessarily play the race card, but next to "why aren't there black bandaids at CVS?" this one is just about to be the most legit I've seen.

2. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That hit by Marshall is pretty much the textbook definition of the penalty. They probably couldn't stage a better demonstration if they tried.

3. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are articles out there already questioning this; why wasn't he pulled to be looked at by the neurologist after laying on the ground a few seconds unresponsive?

That was total bullshit for him to be treated that way. He is a star and the future of the NFL, they better start protecting him the way they protect Brady and Rogers. If this goes on, he will be on the IR before week 8.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have to think it's mostly due to opening-night jitters and will come around to be handled properly in the next week or two.

It was still a hell of a lesson on how not to run shit.

5. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The NFL has perverse incentives. As a business, the players are expendable, they come and go, they are bound to protect them, but if the team doctor has a final say, that team doctor will want that team to succeed regardless of medical indifference to the outcome, and if the player is borderline will put them in. Its a joke that the impartial examiner doesn't decide of a player stays in. This examiner should have baseline tests available to them for all players and examine a player in reference to those baseline tests. Of course how impartial can someone be if they are imbedded with a team and know the players, the staff, the management etc.

The NFL has a problem with QB's. They are the stars of the league, revenue generators. Running backs get concussed all the time, keep playing no one flinches. A QB gets hit hard and people become concerned. At some point it seems the NFL will finally have to say that you can't tackle a quarterback, but everyone else is fine to get blown up, everyone else is expendable.

6. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Peterson looked absolutely horrible today; worst I've ever seen him play. True he was running into a lot of stacked lines but he missed several large holes in Trent Richardson fashion, danced around a bunch hesitantly, and overall looked like a guy who still thinks he's got the body of a 21 year old. He's had bad days before but the way he looked was quite alarming - he looked like a guy who was finished. Hoping it's just the rust from the off season and no preseason work.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Have to say, today was a great fucking day for football... lots of great action.

Finally that time of the year again.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm wondering if those calls weren't made because Cam Newton is 6'6" 250 pounds and hits people like a Mack truck when he runs.

Anyway, watching Russell Wilson on a bad wheel was probably the worst thing I've ever seen. I always knew his mobility was one of his greatest assets, but holy shit. The offensive line certainly is. So was Earl Thomas. But the rest of the defense was in fine form.

Edit: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/12/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-ankle-injury?xid=si_social

[​IMG]

#88 Jimmy James, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's an even worse excuse, if that's true. Jimmy Garoppolo is 6-3, 225 and in last night's game, there was one Pop Warner level hit that got a flag against Arizona. It's kind of ridiculous at this point, and the NFL officials need to stop playing favorites and enforce the same rules for all QB's regardless of size, or there's going to be some legit racism accusations soon.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Sunday game number 1, the official opener to the season as far as I'm concerned. A great game that had me sweating right until the end. Not a bad start to the NFL season.

Also, I'd like to thank Little Baby Jesus for The Red Zone. It is the shit.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, this year is the first time I'd subscribed... and holy shit it was like crack. I don't have cable and it works great on the Apple TV or iPad or iPhone, and it kept you up to date with all the games, regardless of blackouts.

And on that note, FUCK BLACKOUTS.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Nett, I don't know if the "special features" work in conjunction with any of that but they are also fucking great. I don't know why it took so long but I'm damn glad I have it.

Side note, when Arians took that last timeout in the fourth I was like WTF is he doing?!!?? Pretty ballsy move that unfortunately did not pan out. Fitzgerald had a great game, I like to see that.

On the other hand the Raiders ballsy move in their game did pay off. Wow. Who knew.

#92 shegirl, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure why, but every time I try and explain how awesome NFL Redzone is to people that don't have it, they're always like, "meh." But, then, I've also never known any football fans that have it that then think, "ahh, I can live without that." This is an old article, but it's a good one, that Rembert Browne did with Scott Hanson. Hanson does a REALLY good job, without making it obvious that he's doing a really good job.
    http://grantland.com/features/watching-day-nfl-games-redzone-studio/

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hanson has all the skill of a high-density air traffic controller. I would gladly watch an hour of other broadcasters giving it a try. That would be entertaining as hell.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just made myself snarf thinking of Chris Berman trying to gak his way through a triple box situation.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

LA is one of my teams in the bar pool. I went with them because with the new (old?) city they are either going to stink it up big time or go the other way.

17. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The announcers call for a guy running on the field was great

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

upload_2016-9-13_9-18-58.png

I am surprised at that point that that 49er's player didn't absolutely light that dude up with a "proper form tackle."

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The most exciting part of that crap ass game was that dude and the announcer. Good times.

And the first game was almost just as boring. What a shit start to Monday Night Football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.