Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2021 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by NatCH, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would just love to see the Mariners somehow pull ahead of the Astros. There’s a lot of teams putting in work in the stretch now.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Batter couldn't have reached that with a boat paddle.

Who am I kidding. I'd swing at it to with that much movement.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This year is not looking great overall for the Red Sox, but there are some silver linings. Hell, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but they over-performed up until the all star break.

The pitching has just been so up and down. Every starting pitcher seems to have one bed-shitting inning, every game.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I wouldn’t count your boys out, just like I’m not doing for mine. The AL East is just INSANE right now, the AL wildcard this year is an absolute war. Anybody could come out on top.

But man… that AL Central….. ouch.

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Here's a wild stat line: Kyle Seager is batting .210 and as of right now has 99 RBI. I'm going to have to dig around and find the lowest batting average with 100 RBI, if he isn't in the running for the top spot I'll be surprised.

EDIT: A quick look and the top spot appears to be Tony Armas in '83 with a .218 average.

EDIT 2: Seager has some wild splits. None on, he's batting .148. Runners on, he's batting .280. RISP, he's hitting .310. RISP, 2 outs and he's up to .348.

#188 toytoy88, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oracle Park is nice and got to see the Braves beat the Giants.

Oakland Coliseum is a dump. The A's aren't out of a chance at a wildcard, but there is nobody here. This attendance reminds me of Braves games in the late 70's.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

FTFY

Isn't the Oakland Coliseum just about the oldest non-classic (Wrigley, Fenway) park? Dodger Stadium is a few years older, but I don't think there's any others. Just another one of the reasons they may be following the Raiders to Vegas.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Supposedly, there is a new stadium plan. But, yeah, this whole place is very used.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The OC (Mount Davis) is the shittiest stadium in baseball. Oakland has treated their teams like absolute dirt, why any would stay there is a mystery. And it’s one of the worst cities there is, they don’t exactly put up good reasons to have a team there.

13. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well someone has to stand up for the best baseball stadium in Major League Baseball. Oakland Coloseum is the fourth oldest stadium in baseball behind Wrigley Field, Dodger Stadium and Angels stadium. I will fully admit that the stadium has not been maintained as it should have been over the last 50 years however, it is one of only two stadiums that still has the Bullpen out where people can see the pitchers warming up. Get to the park early enough and you can maybe have a conversation with the starting pitchers that day as they stretch out. It is the only stadium left that will punish hitters who try and foul off pitches into the stands till they get something they can hit. This also helps by not having to look through a net all game if you have a lower seat out past first base. Exciting plays? Try watching Matt Chapman or Matt Olson running 60 feet past the baseline to put some poor batter out of his misery trying to get that perfect pitch. You absolutely do not get that play in any other Park in the major leagues.

Amenities? How about a subway stop right at the ball park, A major freeway right next to the parking with two exits to get into and out of the parking lot. I think the parking is pricey and wish they would follow the Angels lead on that, but there are plenty of spaces.

Weather? Except for maybe Arizona and Los Angeles, you will never have a rainout. The weather is always pleasant during the day and after the end of May you have warm enough evenings also.

As far as attendance, the only time the A's had ownership that actually cared about something other than the bottom line and promoted correctly they averaged over 2 million fans a year (1987 to 1991).

Did the city let the building get run down. Yes. Did the remodel ruin much of the charm of the building. Yes. Is it still the greatest place to see a baseball game. yes.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with Puffman. I've been to A's games and Giant's games. Given the choice, I'd go to the Coliseum 10/10. Oracle Park just seems too polished and tries to be too sophisticated. Who wants a poke bowl, sushi or lumpia when going to a game? Give me a hot dog and a cold beer.
    Last time I went to a Giants game, I felt like I should've dressed up a little nicer. The first time I walked into the OC, it just felt like how a ballpark should feel.

Oracle Park is like a middle aged CEO who dresses up in leathers and takes his brand new Harley Davidson out on nice days vs the Coliseum being a crusty OG biker covered in tattoos and scars. It's just... idk... cooler.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You forgot Fenway, the oldest of all. And goofiest. I wonder if they ever get a new stadium if fans will want another ridiculous wall.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess we can agree to disagree. I've been to stadiums all over the country. Old County in Milwaukee was not as bad imo, and the only dumpier one I went to was the old Yankee Stadium their last year there.

The Subway stop is definitely not "right at the ballpark" - it's close, but you have to walk over a dirty 1960s pedestrian bridge littered with trash and street vendors selling mini bottles of liquor. The Mets new park in Flushing is one that literally has the subway stop right there.

17. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As does Nationals Park. You step out of the metro and you’re there. You just have to dodge a few bullets on the way in.

18. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, as the resident Asshole Boston Fan, I'm gonna have to slap you for that one.

Red Sox fans, in all their stubbornness, don't want a new park. And they are idiots. Fenway is a very fun experience, and it is a unique place to watch a baseball game. But it is fucking uncomfortable. You're wedged into the smallest seats in the sporting world, that don't even face the field at the correct angle. There are websites dedicated to showing you just how obstructed your view will be for each seat, because of the giant steel beams holding up the upper boxes/media area/VIP area (formerly called the .406 Club and IT STILL SHOULD BE FACKIN' TEDDY BAHHLLGAME)

There was a plan to build a new park, with the same exact field dimensions and outfield wall, but with modern seating around it. Would've been fucking amazing. And now that the park has been around 100+ years, they could keep it as a historical place, do tours, do concerts, do the occasional throwback jersey game for rich people to enjoy.

Now the current ownership has put so much money into adding as much seating as they can, they're not gonna build a new one any time soon. And we're going full Moneyball mode, so in a few years we may be in the same boat as the A's. Except with shitty uncomfortable seats.

Love that wall, though.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been to Nationals Park, but it's been 6-7 years. I seem to remember it was also pretty close, but you had to walk across a plaza or something. Maybe it depends on which way you come in. The Mets feels like it literally opens the doors onto steps into the stadium gates.

You can come in pretty close on the train at Camden Yards, too, if I remember correctly.

I like the set up at Philly. I parked a car for that one, but since all the arenas / stadiums are there together, it was fairly convenient.

It's been over 10 years since I went to Dodger Stadium, but was hands down the worst traffic experience. I've talked to a few other people about as well as some locals, and that seemed to be the norm. I don't know if that's improved.

The Braves have a decent traffic pattern set up, but you have to walk quite a ways, and there is no subway stop there. They do have a centralized Uber drop off, which is nice. (Or did - not sure since I haven't done that in a minute)