Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2023 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, May 12, 2023.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude is a HOF QB. I think he disagreed with the way GB managed his career and supporting cast, and became a diva in response. He also did a bunch of publicity shit to solidify his post-NFL career that backfired to some extent.

His only touchdown throws to a 1st round draft pick were to 35 year old Ben Watson, IIRC. GB could have had him putting up Mahomes level stats, but drafted defense for like 5 years straight, in part to say "fuck you" for A-aron not taking a team-friendly deal. He wanted out of Wisconsin for the full 2nd half of his career, and it never happened.

GB is a great organization, and I love them as a team. But they fucked Rodgers prime all the fucking way up. Look at the dynasties the Pats built and Chiefs are enjoying: that's what GB could have done and it pains me. Not to mention his early years where he has to be thinking..."fuck I wasted all that time under Farve."

Put another way: in terms of pure stats, he's the NFL's version of Ty Cobb.

Also, of all the teams, the Jets with competent, mediocre, Andy-Dalton esque QB play are a strong playoff team. They made the playoffs with Mark Sanchez more than once. Any HOF QB willing to sign with them is worth the risk, headache, etc.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

yeah I'm 100% biased in the camp of Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game, but also one of the shittiest humans. I hate him so much as a person (or from the character that he plays on tv) that I will forever root for his failure. I completely acknowledge that green bay fucked up his career by drafting defenses and not giving him any weapons. Imo, he deserved nothing less.

He is completely justified in the way he treated GB for their actions toward him, and their lack of actions supporting him. He certainly had the potential for a Brady-like career. But I also despise him, and am overjoyed that he did not. This is what makes sports great. Heroes and villains.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This falls under the "Kanye" rule for me: I have no idea what kind of human he is, and judging him seems absurd because I have no idea why I am expected to. I can judge his "product", which is pretty fucking good. Who/how he is as a person is irrelevant, until they commit some sort of crime or offense and profit from it. Kanye's music is amazing. Kanye as a person seems....problematic.

I stop short of listening to him in interviews or learning anything beyond his play. Even on Hard Knocks, I saw a segment where he supposedly started talking about UFO's....skipped it. Fuck that. Dude is a football genius, but anything else is pointless. If he gets a booth job, I'd be enthused, if a little underwhelmed (he doesn't seem to have an excess of personality, and the commentators I like tend to be excitable). If he ends up hosting Jeopardy or something, I could give a quarter cup of fucks.

I think GB played the odds, right? The likelihood that they have back-to-back HOF QB's is nil, and as the Jets just learned in the most Jets way possible, they are one failed block away from this dude's career being over. They paid him what he wanted, and the idea of catering to his every demand seems to be an unwinnable battle...he'd always make another demand.

Him proving them wrong over and over again could justify some movement from their position, but....sigh. They got one Super Bowl ring and a bunch of annoying bar conversations about who's the GOAT and why. I'm kind of excited to be a GB fan where it's a whole team, not just A-Rod and whoever the fuck else they found loitering around that morning.

The QB as the only person on the whole damned team is something that I think damages the NFL and I've been over it.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's some irony in referencing the Pats dynasty, after saying that Green Bay didn't support Rodgers with enough high drafted skill players. Many of New England's offenses were pieced together with scraps, and Brady already won 3 before Gronk stepped on the scene.

Really, no argument that Green Bay didn't exactly maximize AR's career. But on the other hand, Peyton Manning only won one Superbowl before Von Miller dragged his lifeless corpse to another victory. Drew Brees won one. Dynasties are a funny thing; they require a lot of pieces coming together.

The things the Pats and KC have in common is a GOAT candidate both under center and on the sideline.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And timing. The Braves won ever division championships in the 90s and early 00s, but just one World Series. The 1998 Braves should have been unstoppable, winning 106 games and Division over the Mets by 18 games. They swept the Cubs in the first round, and then lost to the Padres in the NLCS, because Cy Young winner and HoFer Tom Glavine lost twice. And, that was a 162 game season, with 7-game playoffs. In the NFL, it's win one and move on. It's not just the pieces - so much has to go right in that one game. The undefeated 2007 Patriots lost to Eli Manning with Tyree's helmet catch!

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yikes. Chubb's injury.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

FUUUUUCK.

Legs are not supposed to bend that way.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, I'm not a doctor, but, I believe you are correct.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, to be fair, it’s not like his leg bent that way… it broke that way.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

11. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That was terrible to watch last night. You know it's bad when they won't run the replay. I can't imagine the pain. He seems to be a pretty good dude too (from the little I know about him). I know I've really liked watching him play. Bad deal for the team too. So far, this season is a killer.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He can, and has! He had a similar injury in college at Univ of Georgia in 2015 where he tore his MCL, ACL and PCL. In the same leg.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

first NFL player to come back after knee replacement surgery

and as much as I jest, I remember where I was when Sean Elliot stepped back on the basketball court as the first pro athlete to return from major organ (kidney) transplant. Great guy too. Met him a few times since.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the most fun I've had as a Dolphins fan since Marino. Holy shit this offense is good.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm so fucking pissed they didn't go for the field goal.

I think McDaniels over-thought the "classiness" aspect. You hung 70 points on Denver; there was no more mercy to be had. Your guys went out there and executed an incredible offense - let them get their names in the record books. A 60 year old record deserves to be broken.

16. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would have tied the record set by the Bears in the 1940 championship game. I can see it both ways to be honest.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just depends on what record you're looking at. For the "modern" NFL, the record was set by the Redskins @ 72 points.

Regardless - fucking lame.

18. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The 726 yards on offense set a record, so there's that.

Edit: It's apparently the second most, ahh well.

#58 SouthernIdiot, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a casual NFL fan so maybe I'm missing something, but why did the Raiders kick that FG when they were down by 8 and on the 4 yard line (IIRC). The FG still put them down by 5 so they still needed a TD. It seems the smart play would've been to go for the TD and 2 pt conversion. Worst case you get stuffed and Pitt gets the ball deep in their own territory and you still need a TD regardless.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know the time and time out situation. I didn't watch the end. But, generally the idea when you need a FG and a TD, is for one, the FG is a higher percentage of "guarantee" than a TD attempt or a 2-pt attempt. AND, if you need an onside kick + miracle trick play, or onside kick + hail mary, you can do that for a TD. But, getting the onside kick and then making a 73 yard FG is impossible.