Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2023 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, May 12, 2023.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because Josh McDaniels is a moron.

I'm sure the rationale went something like, "I think a score and a defensive stop is more likely than the 4th down + 2 point conversion." But that doesn't really hold up when the second score you need is still a touchdown.

2. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's what I keep thinking.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Plus, McDaniels is already betting on a great stop from his defense - so why not bet on them when the opposing team is running plays from inside their own endzone? All kinds of shit can go wrong in that area of the field, and even no safety or turnovers happen, you almost always get a shorter punt due to the compressed distance. Instead you took the field goal, kicked off, and are trying for that defensive stop where a punt might pin you way back.

It makes no strategic sense. But Josh McDaniels should not be a head coach, so it's probably not that surprising.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reading this, I kept thinking, "but I've seen this several times in other games" that I figured I had to have missed something. lol

I missed that. I just read right by that the first time, I guess because what he did was so dumb. I was assuming it was more than 8, and they needed FG + TD + 2pt. After reading the game summary, yes, it was definitely dumb. My answer was dumb with them being down by 8.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That's really all you had to say

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Far and away, Rich Kotite was the dumbest, most incompetent coach I have ever seen. He managed the clock like it was a sundial.

But McDaniels gets extra asshole points for being loudly and obnoxiously ignorant of his incompetence.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haven't watched Green Bay yet this year but so far tonight, Love doesn't look like an NFL quarterback.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

That Loins defense, wowsers. The SO said they were the sleeper to watch out for, last night he was right.

Love has moments where he carries the load seemingly great, last night was not his night. I hope it was nerves more than anything else because he's done really quite well up to last night.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are we talking about football or your college dating life?

10. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who the hell is that playing in Zach Wilson's uniform? This is some Aaron Rodgers voodoo shit.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jaguars should move to London.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

There seems to be a pattern with these out of the country games and that pattern is injuries. Why do they even bother? Money I suppose but fuck man, how much does the NFL need? More, always more.

13. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hmmmm, the San Francisco 49ers are now 5-0. I was pondering if I should even say anything and decided I better brag while I still can.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

And Dak sucks. There I said it. If Jerry gives him an extension I might have to temporarily adopt another team until Jerry either dies or Dak is moved. Used to follow the Seahawks and 49ers because I could never support a team with Romo as the QB. Guess I am now paying for my sins.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not tonight, either, it seems.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Nope. Although the receivers had drops, he looked uncomfortable. All things considered, it could be worse. Also, I'm a spoiled Packer fan, so there's that.

17. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Giants suck. That is indisputable. But why are we, and the announcers talking year after year, decade after decade, about how bad the officiating is? This league makes billions of dollars. Fucking fix it.

Here’s an idea- stick two officials in the booth watching the game from above to help get this shit right. There’s no excuse for putting up with officiating mistakes all these years.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with you. The officiating for last night's game sucked across the board.

But the NFL isn't going to do anything about it unless it affects their bottom line, and they are more and more profitable every year. They don't need to spend time fixing the officiating, because nobody stops watching. I'm guilty of it; I love football, even though I don't like a lot of the moral implications of it and the officiating is garbage, and I keep watching.

A million 4k cameras pointed at every point on the field make it so easy to see the mistakes, but the outrage makes clicks for sports media and nobody stops watching the games, so why should they try to fix it? Hell, they couldn't even stop the refs from simply refusing to overturn PI calls when they made them challenge-able.

The only non-audience thing I could see causing them to change this is their increased partnerships with sports books. If gambling money dips because gamblers don't trust the product, I'm guessing the NFL will happily put in a sky judge or whatever.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now I want them to do this for the entertainment of the phrasing.

Al Michaels: "and now Sean Payton has dropped his purple and white checkered challenge flag."
    Ref on the mic: "Denver has requested a sky judge review."
    Kirk Herbstreit: "This is a live look at the Sky Judge room, brought to you by Magnum Condoms. Kaylee Hartung is down on the field with more. Kaylee?"
    Kaylee: "Uh, did you want more on the Sky Judge or the Magnum Condoms?"

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The way this shit is going with Watson really couldn't make me happier. He sucks when he's on the field, he's intermittently injured so they can't even put him on IR, and it sure seems like he's exaggerating the severity of his injuries, since he wasn't even really talking about what was wrong until last week, despite being medically cleared.

The Browns are going to waste a year of this incredible defense and are going to be hamstrung for at least 3 years with this ridiculous contract. They're going to win enough games that their draft capital will suffer and further restrict their path to a top QB pick.

May they suffer in purgatory forever.

I'm not happy that Watson is getting paid, but if I can't see him sucking dick under a highway overpass for meth money, I'd at least like the entire Browns organization to fail for signing him.