Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2023 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, May 12, 2023.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Because they thought the Giants had just misused him, or that the Giants were the problem, not him. Same thing with Darnold. Same thing with Danny Jones, once y'all eventually move on.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When they're not playing the Bills,( Go Bills ) I've enjoyed watching KC play and rooted for them in the Super Bowl. Mahomes has struck me as not only a damned good QB, but a class act as well. Last night though? Not a good showing at all. I noted to my wife earlier in the game that he was not having a good night, so maybe his tantrum was a culmination of a lousy night overall, I don't know. If it was a late flag, I could see his point at least a little, but that flag was out almost as soon as the ball was snapped.

I'll cut him some slack this time, though I'd like to see him or Andy walk their statements back at least a little. I don't see it happening though.

Yeah I've seen some pics from different angles today and he was very obviously more than an inch over. I thought that's who Mahomes was yelling at on the sidelines to be honest, and it would have been rightly so.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this 100%. My wife and I were watching it live and I said "oh he's about to tear Toney a new one." That would have been completely justified, and imo, the way he's been playing, Toney deserves to be cut or at least benched for that anyway. Send a "do your job" message.

When it came out that he was doing that anger issue shit about the refs, it was obvious it was just a temper tantrum. I get that these people are uber competitive and that this spirit is what has gotten them to that point, but after you've had a chance to see all the facts, you gotta man up and walk that shit back.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think if the trade deadline were later in the year, some guys like Toney would have been gone, but they need bodies at some point, especially those that know the system.

I am annoyed at refs deciding the outcome of games this much. It's making the only watchable games blowouts.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

who what would Toney fetch for a trade though? Practice squad long snapper?

I firmly agree with hating the refs being involved this much. But to a large extent, I don't think it will change. A good example is the chain gang -- there are clearly better, more accurate ways to do it with technology. But the NFL keeps things the way they are for the drama.

Ultimately, in this case, it wasn't the refs who decided the outcome but rather Toney. That would/should have been called in every other circumstance. It was just so clearly offsides.

Where the issue really arises though, is where do you draw that line? Like with the "hail mary exception" to PI. Offsides is objective -- either you are or you are not. But with PI, did you hinder the receiver's ability to catch the ball? When was that? Was it or wasn't it a catch? Or a fumble vs. incomplete pass?

I wish that the refs would let the players play in those circumstances, and err on the side of swallowing their whistle rather than blowing it. However, like last night, if you REALLY fucked up to where it was clear and obvious and the refs would be the ones looking like the idiots if they didn't call it... then that's on you.

6. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s only been the past year or two I started paying more attention to football. This year I haven't missed a Bills game and generally watch another game or two a week. So I admit to being somewhat ignorant about the nuance of some things.

But when it comes to some of the calls for pass interference, I’m stumped. I’m watching the replay trying to understand the call, but still left scratching my head.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

PI depends on where Vegas has the line for the game

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being aggressive at the end of a game is one thing, but Dan went full stupid at the end of this one. Kick the PAT and play for overtime after getting backed up on the penalty dude.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was exhausted and went to bed before the end, but I feel like Campbell has decided he is The Guy Who Goes For It rather than strategically leaning into the analytics and being more aggressive.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate Dallas with the fire of a thousand suns so I was pissed the Detroit kept going for it but I'm guessing it's because they're locked in for the playoffs and the coach wanted the team to try some not normal plays in actual games.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

the refs need to be shot into the sun after that one. The obvious thing at the very end with the player reporting, and them getting the number wrong. But before that, they also called Ferguson (Dallas TE) for tripping, when it was literally ON THE OTHER TEAM. Had they called that penalty correct, Dallas would have gotten a new set of downs under the 2 min warning and been able to run out the clock. The outcome is whatever. As a Dallas fan, I feel dirty with the win. I like the Lions though too and am pissed for their fans as well.

I don't know what the solution is, or if there is any one thing, Probably a multitude of things. Imo that should be the focus of the offseason though. The NFL is a very entertaining product, but that entertainment loses all value to me if it becomes no more real than the WWE.

ETA: To be clear, I know the audio had the refs saying "70 eligible," so DC had the opportunity to correct it and didn't. They reported the wrong guy, but at the end of the day the buck stops with the coach. It was a series of mistakes though. Maybe he didn't hear it? It started with the Lions correctly reporting, and the first error was on the refs getting the number wrong.

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was an absolutely horrible screw up by the ref. But Campbell still going for 2 after the penalty was monumentally stupid. The refs screw up didn't cost them the game.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Playing anyone but Dallas, I would agree with you. Brandon Aubrey, their kicker, has already set multiple massive records, including the only kicker to make three FGs over 50 yards in one game. He's gone on record saying he's good from 70, and I would trust him out to at least 60. At 70 I would make it a 50/50 ball. DC made a lot of mistakes in that sequence of events. It wasn't a "score-and-you-win" scenario though.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they had got the 2 they would have only been up by a point. It doesn't change anything regarding that scenario.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

what's crazy is, if Goff had thrown a better pass on that third try they likely would have still scored. Regardless, yeah DC should be getting shat on (upon?) for all this. Apparently it's coming out now how he intentionally had some trickery going on to get Dallas confused as to which lineman had reported, and in the process confused the refs.

Again though, if the refs had previously not called tripping on the wrong damn team, all of this would have been a moot point.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Belichick OUT as coach!!

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He couldn't let Nick Saban have the headlines, lol.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

buddy comedy coming soon

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a little surprised they went with Mayo with Vrabel available. I think Tennessee is going to regret their decision.

20. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had been hearing Kraft loved the guy and apparently it was true. I'm with you, I would have gone with a proven guy in Vrabel.