Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

4/25/14 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hooray racism!

You wonder why I'm in favor of a no politics/no religion rule.

2. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Come on, dude, that wasn't racist. He said black culture, in quotation marks and everything!

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

fucking. Gross.

Cinnamon schnapps is like drinking mouthwash. Ugh.

my opinion may be skewed due to a vomiting incident in my early twenties.

4. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're trolling right?

Hip-hop can have (and on the whole probably does have) a lot more sophistication when it comes to use of language than country does.

And either way, I've read your writing. You ain't no Shakespeare.

5. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe you guys are still on that. I genuinely didn't know that saying a black person is articulate is a back handed compliment.

Next time I'll just say Magic is charismatic, still don't know how saying he is articulate was so dam offensive. For me, and my background, saying someone speaks well was never a backhanded compliment.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thing I didn't know till this very minute: Brian Blessed was the voice of Boss Nass in Phantom Menace. Now that I know, it's completely obvious.

But whatever, he'll always be Prince Vultan to me.

Why can't I embed the youtube video, I used the tags, WTF?

7. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got you.

You have to delete the s for some reason in "https://" for them to embed.

#307 Gravy, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Holy shit guys, Silver just made the secret NBA Constitution public!* This is awesome!**

<a class="postlink" href="http://deadspin.com/that-secret-nba-constitution-is-now-online-1569509012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://deadspin.com/that-secret-nba-con ... 1569509012</a>

*Since this might as well be the NBA thread now.

**I know, it's a pretty weird thing to be excited about. This is cool, damnit!

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks babe.

#309 Currer Bell, Apr 29, 2014
  10. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

How am I just now learning about Flash Gordon???

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Everything you need to know about Flash Gordon:

[​IMG]

NO!!!!! NOT THE BORE WORMS!!!!!!!!

12. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Seriously, I must watch this now. I watched that 15-second clip and my interest was aroused, so I googled "Prince Vultan" which got me to the Flash Gordon trailer. My God, this movie looks awesome. This is indisputable proof that this board is ultimately a force for good and justice.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're kidding, right? You didn't know about Flash Fucking Gordon? As a rule, if Queen did the soundtrack, it's gonna be cheesy/awesome/80s to the max.

And from Highlander:

#313 iczorro, Apr 29, 2014
  14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man, you don't....you don't know what you're in for. I can't even. Tears are welling in my eyes, such is my happiness that I may have introduced Flash Gordon to a new soul.

15. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You've just reminded me that somehow I no longer have a copy of Highlander.

16. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

It's still the same thing though; if TMZ didn't run his Sterling's other, worse, history of awful racist behavior, it's because it probably didn't think the masses would be interested in stuff like housing discrimination. But naughty words? Fire up the presses, because that's what the people want!

I own the first five seasons of the TV show - not the last season though, because everyone knows the last season was shit.

17. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Now THAT I've seen. The first one at least. I heard the others were pretty shitty.

18. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

And I see this as exactly what's wrong with the whole situation.

You knew exactly what a shitbag Sterling was. A lot of people knew. I'm sorry D26, but this is a surprise to absolutely noone that even tangentially follows the NBA. And nobody had a problem with it. Nobody called for his ouster when he was found guilty of housing discrimination, something that actually affects people in a meaningful way. But a few racist utterances that are illegally recorded and everyone loses their damn mind, because we live in the age of social media outrage. THE NAACP was going to give him a fucking award for god's sake. The best part? I guarantee you if Silver had, say, fined him and only banned him for a year people would bitch and moan and in a couple of weeks it would've blown right over because "entertainment". Nobody is boycotting shit. Please.

Jason Whitlock said it best:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ld-sterling-la-clippers-owner-fix-our-culture
    Do I think the man is a racist shitbag? Absolutely. Do I care if within the context of his team he does not act racist and he keeps his racism to himself? Well then we get into a different discussion. It's not like the man only signed white players, had a white coach and white GM. Granted though, Elgin Baylor sued him (AGAIN, WE ALL KNEW).

Now let's not get it twisted. I'm not crying about him getting banned and fined 2.5 mil (a drop in the bucket for him, honestly). That was fair, if not for his beliefs then as cosmic karma for all the fucked up shit he's done over the years. Going forward however I can't get on board with the forcible seizure of a person's assets because of an illegally obtained conversation. Him being ostracized for his beliefs is one thing, him having property seized for them is another issue entirely. Of course, advertisers, sponsors and ticket purchasers could completely boycott the team driving down the value to the point where it would behoove him to sell the team of his own accord, but let's let the market dictate that.

19. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good post, seizing someone's assets for a comment made in private is concerning. It is a bit of a slippery slope. Granted his comments were bigoted, but it is a dangerous precedent. I read an article by AJ Adanade on ESPN, he made a good point. His point was that Sterling was a known bigot with a length record of discrimination and lawsuits. That wasn't enough to get him removed. What was enough was making an offensive comment in what he presumed was a private private conversation. How is making this comment worse than refusing people housing or firing people unfairly?

The NBA was in a bad spot with Sterling. SIlver just took him out in the most efficient way possible. Now the rest of the NBA owners don't have to explain up to why they tolerated him for so long. Again, I'm paraphrasing Adande. His article was pretty thought provoking.

20. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

All of this is going to come up during the eventual litigation. Sterling is infamous for grinding out legal troubles in the courts. Even if the owners OK this (and Silver would never have brought it up if he didn't think he had enough support from the owners on this, so it's highly doubtful that the owners don't vote for Sterling's expulsion), we're talking years of litigation, precedent concerns, misplaced Communism references etc. This is far from the last we've heard of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.