Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

6/26/15 The Canada Day WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, sorry Bae, I left your weak-ass deflated air mattress in a garage for a man with a HOME, SUPER-AWESOME-POOL and a J.O.B.

XOXO,

QB

2. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So the departure of one person has caused a gigantic social media machine to go shit-nuts? It seems like overreacting to me,they way people have gone off I thought Jeter retired again or something.

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Simple.

Go to Home Depot (or whatever) and buy a large garbage can and enough copper tubing to make a pretty deep and wide coiled heat sink (depth and width depend on garbage can). Also, get hose clamps.

Go to petco and get a small aquarium pump and some rubber tubing that can slip over the copper tubing you bought.

Go to walmart and buy a cheap pool.

Make the coiled heat sink, drop it in the garbage can, and rig up the pump so it will pull the water out of the pool, run it through the heat sink, and pump it back into the pool.

Go to a place that sells ice and buy a bunch of it (enough to cover the heat sink in the garbage can, and then some).

Fill the pool with water, dump in all the ice, and turn on the pump. The water will be cooled as long as the ice lasts.

Caveats:
    - copper is expensive, so you might try to use another type of tubing
    - while a garbage can works, spending a little extra time to modify a cooler will keep the ice for longer

I've only ever tried this with a kiddie pool about 7' across and maybe 16" deep, but it worked for a whole weekend and I think it cost around $100 to make at the time. I used a cooler and made two shorter coils, since it wasn't deep enough to get a good single one. The shorter cooler also puts less pressure on the pump.

Good luck.

5. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Step one: buy a bunch of ice.

Step two: dump the ice into the pool as needed.

Step three: store beer in excess ice.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Step One: Don't live in the desert.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jerking off to the Boobie thread in your mom's basement, or tracking them down and trying to peer in their windows on Friday nights doesn't count as spending the weekend with them.

At least, that's what I was told.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What happened is the mods(there are thousands of them) that moderate every subreddit are unpaid workers and get shit on by the admins(people who are paid employees, very few of them). And the one person who they like was let go, and no one knows why.

read this
    https://www.reddit.com/r/outoftheloop/comments/3bxduw/_/

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You can't go from not knowing anything at all about the situation to making an evaluation that you expect anyone to give any merit... you're talking out of your ass.

If you took 10 minutes and read the shit-ton of info on the subject plastered all over Reddit, you'll find that this is a major tipping point event that has been months in the making; the new corporate overlords have totally discounted the fact that the site is a content aggregation site that is run by a ton of volunteers that bring solid content and dedicate hundreds of unpaid hours to building the various environments.

A few very large subreddits (like /r/science, /r/iama, etc) bring in a TON of really interesting people for Q&A sessions, and a lot of those are facilitated by Victoria. She is probably the most important person at Reddit for that facilitation, because the whole AMA process before she stepped in and helped was fucked, and didn't work properly.

She got fired, apparently (because there has been no official announcement, that I've seen, anyway), because they wanted to overly-commercialize and generate revenue out of those AMA's, and she didn't feel comfortable about that.

For the few obviously fake and blatantly advertising AMAs that happen (that get called out and ridiculed mercilessly quite quickly), there are a shit-ton that are incredibly insightful and informative, and genuine.

The logistics for setting that stuff up is non-trivial, and her abrupt and unmanaged removal from the process left a ton of moderators and AMA guests in the lurch.

The response from Reddit Admins was basically, "excuse me while I go grab some popcorn" and "it's not big deal, you can just email us at ama@reddit.com from now on."

It has done nothing but underscore the contempt that Reddit admins and ownership have shown for the community, and how quickly they are pissing the community off, and are totally out of touch with the culture of the site. On top of that, they are demanding that mods apply arbitrary rules and enforcement to their subs, without providing the required tools, and basically are not communicating with the mods of those subs. And then there's the idiot interim CEO Pao that is fucking everything up.

As a result of firing Victoria, a lot of the big and default subreddits "went dark" to basically say, "without us, Reddit is nothing, so stop pissing us off".

The big problem is that Reddit is not a business that will make revenue, but they have been bought by investors who want revenue. They own no content, just provide a place for people to aggregate content and links.

So yeah, thanks for your armchair 2 second thoughts on the matter.

10. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the detailed explanation "Victoria"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.