Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

6/26/15 The Canada Day WDT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like I could get rich as shit appealing to a relatively small wackjob group and just pandering like a fucking madman to them. Then write a "self published" book in a night or two and run a propaganda campaign amongst your followers that "the man" is afraid to publish it so you're doing it yourself.

Boom. Paid. Rinse and repeat every few months.

What is the downside? The people you're fleecing are too stupid to care about anyway, and finding an audience wouldn't be that tough in the cesspool that is the internet.

Fuck it, im sticking this in my "shit to do when I have free time" pile.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Kirk Cameron is doing exactly that... making absolute shit movies, but with heavy Christian themes, that are heavily marketed to and supported by Christians with deep faith. Between that and his television ministries, he's making some half-decent coin.

He's not doing it intentionally (he became a born again Christian a long time ago), but he's a poster child for the benefits of targeting a very specific demographic and making content for their particular tastes while being laughed at by the vast majority.

3. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could give a shit about being laughed at, I'd be laughing too right to the damn bank.

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, Cartman was right, the best way to make money is off of Christians, and South Park said that again with the Mickey Mouse episode. Christians are easy targets really. I love the irony of the majority of them. Christ said drop everything and follow me, but look at how much these people are willing to make off of each other.

If I didn't have a conscience I would totally chase that market, make some cheap crap, sell it at local churches, expand manufacturing overseas, sell at ever increasing prices, all while praising God and giving nothing back

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

What the fucks going on in here?

To reward myself for enduring this fucking house buying process (I close Thursday but who fucking knows) I had a giant long island iced tea for lunch.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nothing much... except that it's Canada Day Eve, where we all go door to door and form scrimmage road hockey teams and make each other maple syrup snow cones and drink rye.

7. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I can feel the lame from here.

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a way, Canada Day seems like Canadians saw the American 4th of July, figured they should have something like that and invented that. Is there any significance to the date? Did Quebec finally succeed then? Or was it just, this seems like a good day, this is officially Canada Day? Out here, some of our worst/best sterotypes/attributes play out. Is it the same way in Canada? Do Canadians get wasted on Molson then go play some shinny while taking shots of maple syrup after every goal?

9. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not like you're normally renowned for being clever around these parts, but you could at least try.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+canada+day+on+july+1st

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think he just wanted to make sure we got the date wrong like America did. They achieved their independence in the 2nd of July and celebrate it on the 4th. Like weirdos.

11. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exact historical dates are a bit pedantic, whats most important is what those events did not when they happened

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ummm... well it's celebrated on the 4th because that's when the declaration of independence was drafted.

If memory serves it was actually formally signed on August 2nd or something like that. I guess we could celebrate on that day too, but there's several dates you could choose. In the grander scheme of things it's not all that important.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Now you're just contradicting yourself, you fucking tool.

14. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congress voted to declare independence from England July 2nd and voted to ratify the Declaration itself on July 4th. It was then distributed. The signed copy was signed August 2nd.

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woah woah woah slow the fuck down. Congress declared independence on the 2nd, and then ratified the declaration on the 4th, and then signed the declaration a month later?

And you think the metric system is too complicated?

16. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But more seriously, as much as I'm used to the Imperial system, we need to switch to metric in more than just official uses.

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A few years ago, the GA DOT changed their rules to require the switch all of their standards to both Metric and Imperial. There was a transition period, where they published their standard specifications and drawing details in both, required plan Submittals in both, and bidding in both. There was supposed to be a date on which everything would be total metric. But none of the contractors (or their equipment) wanted to work in metric. So, as engineers, we were preparing two sets of plans: one for State approval, and one for actual construction. The State finally gave up, and went back to imperial.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.