Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

8/25/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Maybe, but if I were his passenger I might just cut his steel balls off with an angle grinder for risking our lives like that.

2. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No thats just stupid. That pilot clearly has no regard for the people in the seats behind him.

3. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It will be interesting to find out if there were any people on the inbound flight to PR. That plane was on the ground for 52 minutes, turned around and headed back full to NYC. Some might call that doing all you can to help others......the plane can take it, we have seen multiple flights by the hurricane hunters directly into the core of this thing for days now. I don't think anyone was in any grave danger.

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lets toss out the worst case scenario. Lets bring in something else. Lets say all the passengers in the plane knew they were going to land in the outskirts of a major hurricane? Only making inbetween the tentacle like arms of the outside of the storm. I wonder how many would be ok with that?

If he wants to be a risk taker, a plane full of trusting and mostly ignorant passengers isn't the place to do it.

If there was no one on it but him, thats still not his plane. I imagine his bosses would be seriously pissed.

Why am I arguing this? It makes no sense to fly a passenger jet into the arms of a hurricane.

#524 toddamus, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You do not understand how weather works, nor are you a pilot.

Explain to me the risks that the pilot took, other than "oh my god it's a hurricane we can't fly through it!"

Flying through a hurricane is actually quite safe... much safer than flying through a thunderstorm. Hurricane winds are relatively fast, compared to the ground, but they are steady, predictable, and in good alignment. That makes them quite easy to handle. When the NOAA flies into and through a hurricane, do you think they are flying special aircraft that are somehow resistant to hurricane winds? No... they are flying a beat up old Orion and a G4.

Aircraft take on much more dangerous forces when they experience vertical wind sheers that you find in thunderstorms, or other unstable air, where 50 mph air going up suddenly becomes 50 mph air going down, resulting in an immediate 100mph change in vertical airflow, resulting in people bashing their heads on the cabin roof and the "fasten seatbelt sign" coming on.

I bet that the passengers on that flight didn't even feel any real turbulence.

But please, by all means, get outraged over shit you know nothing about.

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry I forgot you had a PhD in meteorology.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm shocked that they aren't telling complete idiots on the subject matter to shut the fuck up.

The only real danger would be in landing and taking off in such high winds... once you're aloft, there are no real problems... that's why they had the quick turnaround... to get the fuck out of dodge before it impacted their ability to take off.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No, I was a fucking pilot in the Canadian Air Force and trained for years on weather and flying in it.

What are your qualifications?

9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the weather channel and reading your posts.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Then STFU and tone down the bullshit outrage already.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Watch this: The only real issue is flying through the hurricane wall.

12. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nah, despite what you say, despite your training in the Canadian Air Force, taking a Delta flight into the arms of a hurricane is irresponsible.

Its not bullshit outrage, its not outrage at all. Its not hyperbole either. Passenger safety must be the priority and this is a bad PR move, no matter what you say.

Show this photo of the plane landing to a group of people in any airport and ask them if they'd be ok with being on that flight. Its not a matter of a professional pilot controlling their risk, its a matter of the passengers incurring a perceived risk they find unacceptable.

Flying through a hurricane fine. I agree, its done safely. Doing it with a plane full of people who don't know whats going on, unacceptable.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There was no safety risk... only people looking at a picture that they didn't understand and drawing unreasonable conclusions.

None of whom were on the fucking flight in the first place, and have no clue about what those who were on the flight were told or how they felt.

14. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure, as we write this, the press are seeking comments from the people on both legs of that flight and asking what their experiences were right now. Hoping, just hoping that they can make hay with this right now.

15. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

• banned so he can get some sleep
    upload_2017-9-6_22-29-26.png

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Banned for a day so you can get some sleep.

I know I'll sleep just fine.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember that time a board member told Nett that there was no way he could hack into his personal financial accounts, and then Nett posted a fake password so close to that member's that the guy freaked out and backed off and apologized profusely?

Yeah, good times.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Wait, is it too late to ask toddamus what about when a plane flies in in the jet stream?

IM TRIGGERED!!!

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was actually his real password, which is why he totally freaked out... he used it for ALL his stuff.

But yeah, I'm just getting less and less tolerant of stupidity and ignorant outrage.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm sure he'll be back tomorrow... after a good night's sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.