Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

8/26/16 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Maybe I'm just heartless, or we've just raised enough bottle calves to know that even if you name them and generally like them they still taste good.

When I was a kid we had a calf named Norman. After we'd had him butchered and subsequently had steak for dinner my sister commented that Norman tasted good. She was not as amused when we ate her duck Ferdinand but he also tasted pretty good.

My daughter names all our calves now, which is why they're named things like Cinderella, Belle, and Strawberry. She's not quite five but she understands that the cows are to eat.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Some folks can do it, many can't.

I learned long ago that anything you plan to eat doesn't get named, petted, talked to or treated as a pet.

I've raised hogs from difficult births to slaughter and was able to keep that distance, I find it's easier with larger animals that tend to be assholes anyways. Tasting like bacon, ham, and pork chops didn't really help endear them to me as pets either.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Needless to say I've had a rather interesting, but relaxing week.

Made a conscious effort to relax and decompress from the last job; some great friends from Vancouver came over to run in a National Triathlon/Duathlon thing not far from here, so I gladly went out and took pictures and then took them wine touring. I also did a bunch of cooking, taking full advantage of my new stand mixer. Always wanted one, and one magically appeared at the front door, from my Mom. Awwww.... mom's are the best.

It appears she had a ton of air miles to use up before they turned into pumpkins, so she bought me a nice, red stand mixer and a whack of attachments. So yeah, the house has smelled of fresh bread and chocolate chip cookies all week... it hasn't sucked.

I also ordered the complete Preacher set of graphic novels, and the Valerian French comic books that is the inspiration for Luc Besson's (of 5th Element fame, and the original La Femme Nikita) latest sci-fi movie that apparently went over very, very well at this years comic-con.

Lots of hot tub time drinking and reading books and comics and watching movies has been had.

And then this came in:

upload_2016-8-26_17-46-12.png

Made some crock-pot pork and onion and sweet pepper "stuff" that featured a lot of spice; mustard, various chilis, home made habanero hot sauce, and this stuff.

Let's just say that it lives up to its name. Tasty as fuck, but it's not for the faint of heart.

And the cat has spent the week dropping off mice and birds, in various stages of life, at my feet. Apparently he doesn't appreciate the fact that I feed him, and thinks I have to step up my game.

So yeah, now it's time to sit back and enjoy a nice, relaxing Friday night...

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Oh man that hot sauce is incredible!! I have a bottle in the fridge now. It's spicy, but not so much that you can't taste it still. It has a nice flavor to it. The name is awesome of course but I almost hate that the novelty of it detracts from the flavor. A lot of people won't try it for that reason. They're scared.

Try it on some crackers with cream cheese.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm always on the prowl for good hot sauce, and it was the name that actually had me give it a shot... glad I did.

It was an Amazon impulse buy and it was well worth it.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Been a bit of an air show around here today, and I just found out why:

upload_2016-8-26_17-57-35.png

Friend of mine sent me that pic from about 8 minutes down the road.

Fun times!

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I grew up on a ranch. Know where your food comes from. Yeah it's a little sad sometimes, but when you taste something that you were able to raise with the right food in the right environment, the taste is like nothing you get in the supermarket.

Part of my deal with the ducks is, I want my son to learn those lessons too. Deer are pretty to look at as well, they also taste delicious. For me the sad part is that some people buy shit off the shelves and have no clue what all went into it. Those animals have personalities too. No different.

8. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I'm spending my evening watching Louis C.K Live at the Comedy Store and drinking wine while my kids are at the football game with their grandma and my husband is outside working on the siding, even though it's fairly dark outside now. I tried to recruit his buddies that are helping him into coming inside and drinking with me but that just got me a dirty look.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We're here for you...

And it's so nice to see you reconciling with the dark side of old.

10. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Honestly I almost flashed them from the dining room window because I thought it was just my husband out there. Thank Bob I actually looked out the window before I did it.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I may have to try it. Where does it sit on a scale between Jalapeno Hot Pockets and Jalapeno Cheetos?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I honestly don't know, as I've tried neither of those.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

If that is a 10, jalapeno cheetos are a 3-4 tops.

Do you seriously consider jalapeno cheetos spicy?

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Obviously you've never lived in the spice void of Mississippi. I couldn't even find horse radish there. How the fuck do you eat roast beef without horse radish?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You don't.

Duh.

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

No. It was kind of a joke, albeit a poor one.

Every now and then I'll get a jalapeno that I find spicy, but it doesn't happen often and I order them on everything I can.

17. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

I'm trying to decide if my desire for the siding to be done is greater than my desire to park in the basement/garage. I don't want to park outside, damn it. I also would really like the siding to be finished, and right now the siding is stacked up where I normally park. I'm so conflicted.

We've been renovating this house since 2008. We finally moved in almost two years ago. We still have a handful of things to do to the house but it's mostly done. The siding is the last big thing, so of course I want it to be finished. I also like to whine apparently, especially when I'm drinking wine.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

FYI, RotN and I were just PM'ing about hot sauces (I know, I know... it's a firing offense, for fuck sake), but thought some of you others would like to be in on it...

My go-to brand of hot sauces are from Manitoulin Island, Ontario: http://www.hawberryfarms.com/hot-sauce/

This is a great general hot sauce: http://www.hawberryfarms.com/hot-rod-original-cayenne/

But my go-to favourite is their habanero sauce: http://www.hawberryfarms.com/hootin-and-hollerin-habanero/

There's a reason it's sold out.

They focus on flavour, first and foremost... none of that "soooo hot you can't taste shit" stuff.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

QUIT BULLYING ME!!

This is what I sent him:

Tapatio is like ketchup in Texas. Not really "hot," more like just a good spice. Goes on everything. I like to add it to mango salsa and quesadillas. Anything with melted cheese, this makes it a thousand times better.

Melinda's Naga Jolokia is my go-to if I'm really looking to make something knock-your-socks-off hot. Good flavor though. I use it a lot in pasta. Alfredo sauce with that is incredible.

Blazin' Saddle Habanero Sauce. Aside from being an awesome movie, it has a flavor similar to the colon cleanser but a little more mild, a little more tomato-y kinda. I just love the flavor. And it's not something you need to wash your mouth to get the spice out, it just adds to the food not overwhelms it.

Yucatan Sunshine. Made with carrots, almost has a fruity aftertaste. It goes great with anything. Just one of those bottles you need to have. Great with fresh fruit salsa, like Tapatio, if you want to kick the intensity up a little and add a few more layers of flavor.

Red Devil Cayenne Sauce. This is more for cooking. Goes great if you're smoking some BBQ, use it in the sauce or add it to the baste. I also use it on eggs (Tapatio and this are my eggs hot sauce).

If you had to get just one, I'd go with the Blazin' Saddle just because of the flavor. Tapatio goes on everything, though it is very mild so don't get your hopes up thinking it's gonna clear your sinuses. I've tried well over a dozen different Naga Jalokia sauces and the one I linked is far and away my favorite, again just because of the flavor. The Yucutan Sunshine has more of a Caribbean feel to it and I'm not sure how your taste buds are, but you'll either love it or hate it.

I'm sure I'll think of more but those are just the ones in the fridge right now, it's a fairly good variety covering a range of uses and flavors.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Best hot sauce store I've ever seen was on Bourbon Street, years ago, about 2 doors down from the House of Blues.

I must have dropped about $200 that night just on hot sauce, and I can't remember having a bad one in the bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.