Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

9/15/17 WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I completely agree that it's worth it to spend the extra money on better tools. It's like buying shitty sunglasses or sandals. They're not cheaper when they break so often you have to replace them every month.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Word. Few tools can be bought and used frequently at dollar store prices. But some can. Certain tools like screwdrivers (other than Robbie), exacto-knives (boxcutters) and pliers can be bought on the cheap if you don't work daily with them.

Once you're into things like mechanic tools you want something that lasts. Replacing things like sockets and ratchets is both expensive AND a pain, and up here I have to own both Imperial AND Metric socket sets because sometimes the same goddamn machine I'm assembling/fixing requires both!!! I mean.....huh????

...sorry I'm rambling. Maximum and/or Jet for a good balance of quality and price. They make tool that really do last, that won't break your bank, and can often be found for good deals or on sale.

Of course if you have bottomless funds, everything you own that isn't electric should say Snap-On and/or Bessey on it.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That happens all the time in the states too. Industrial machinery is the worst in that regard because regardless of where you buy the final product from, the components are manufactured all over the world so you're bound to get a random mix of metric and imperial.

Having a huge array of tools is crazy expensive. I have only basics at home because it's just too much money to get a serious collection going unless I start making something crazy like 7 figures. Fortunately, I know a shit load of people with insanely expansive tool sets so it's never a problem.

On another note, I'm continually amazed at how many people are oblivious to the amount of work that goes into serious metal fabrication. I used to build cars by hand, so I don't expect people to know as much as I know, but now that I work for a metal distributor I'm continually amazed how many customers think it's cheaper to have someone custom build things than it is to buy them online or from a retailer. They also rarely understand how many tools you need to be the kind of machine shop that can do any kind of job. There's probably 60-70 machine shops in my city and maybe like 3 of them are set up to do everything.

It's also crazy how many people are like "build this for me" without providing any sort of diagrams or measurements.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Fun fact about Snap-on tools: My grandfather sold them for a time in the 1920's. He was still using those same tools in the 1980's. He also had a set of Craftsman sockets he bought in the 20's. Sometime in the late 70's he rolled over one of them with his bulldozer, they replaced it (After trying unsuccessfully to get him to trade in the whole set.)

Good tools will definitely last you a lifetime, something my father never could understand. He'd rather buy cheap tools and just buy another when it inevitably broke at the worst possible time. Drove me nuts.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Here's a helpful little tip for using super glue:

6. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A groomsman almost took a swing at the groom after the wedding I was in yesterday. What a shit show. I feel the groomsman would have been justified to do so but damn guys. We've been friends 20 years.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You just CANNOT leave it like that...

8. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know how when you know people there's a kill shot insult that has just enough truth to really hurt? The bride took it at the dudes wife because they were committing the apparent sin of leaving at one in the morning to sleep before we all caught a 10 am flight from Texas back to SC. She then followed them across the street when he tried to disengage from it. My friend backed his wife up at that point and the groom shot his mouth off. The groomsman is by far the most level headed and calm of us in those situations so if he was ready to fight it had to be bad.

9. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ontrolled-model-sailing-ship-in-24-hours-(rc)

This winter it is my goal to break that world record. I've done some testing with current rc sailboat, it is too small and slow to do it. I don't think any off-the-shelf boat will do it. So I'm building one, probably begin construction second week in October, after we get moved back to the house from the park I work in.

Once I've got a boat with enough waterline to be able to break it I think it will just be a matter of picking ideal conditions and being able to stay awake 24 hours.

Any of you regulars on the woodworking thread want to help with some parts of the build? I don't have all the tools I will need to get this done.

Any of you going to pick out a world record for you to break?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You're doing this AFTER the hurricanes? Talk about an opportunity lost...

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. I'll have to be on a chase boat so I wouldn't attempt it during a hurricane anyway. Really, ideal conditions will be 10-20 mph winds on or just behind the beam for the entire trip, don't need a ton of wind for this, just consistent speed and direction.

You want to cut some frames for me? I'll pay for all materials and shipping. Get your name in the record book, Net!

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

PM me with some details around what you're looking for, timelines, etc, and I'll consider it. I'm a bit busy with work right now, and have some of my own projects I have to finish before the weather changes (indoor planter stuff), but we'll see.

Any rules around hull design or controls? For instance, if you went with something like the Americas Cup design, and put in some arduino controls to keep the hull flying (which would be tricky for a small scale, twitchy model, as it would require crazy fast reflexes), that would be a killer build.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I won't build a foiler. I've watched some videos and I think they need to be sailed in pretty protected waters, if the chop gets too high, which it will in sustained winds over long distances, they don't stay high enough out of the water. I'll probably take a good planing hull like I have now and just scale it up to between 6.5 and 8 feet long.

Shouldn't take to long on the cuts. Just transfer templates I send to whatever material I pick and cut. I got no set timeline. It will be about 3-4 weeks before I'll have the room to work on it.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Along those same lines:

Capture.PNG

17. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Damn. Maria just upped to a category 5 and it's going to hit the VI and Puerto Rico just as they're trying to clean up after Irma. Poor bastards.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Puerto Rico has taken in tens of thousands of refugees from the VI and surrounding areas. Their shelters are completely filled with the refugees while those islands rebuild their infrastructure. It was a fantastic idea, and an amazing gesture by PR, provided, you know, another hulk sized hurricane didn't give them an earth fucking a week later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.