Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Banning Sports Props

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, Jun 14, 2010.

1. NoMames

NoMames
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Here's the thing, the World Cup comes around once every four years. You can say that x number of fans won't come back, but there will be four times as many fans trying to get those tickets. Will it hurt the ratings on TV? Maybe a million people won't watch, but in four years, there will be a million more people with a TV that will watch it. When talking about the biggest sporting event in the world, which it is as much as people don't like football, there will be more than enough people to watch it and buy the tickets. If the Europeans don't like the horns, I'm sure they can find someone to buy the tickets for face value to go instead of them.

If you want quiet for sports, go play golf or tennis. Football, American football, baseball, basketball, all those sports have loud arenas. It changes when the home team needs quiet, but for the rest of the game, its loud as hell. Yes, when I played in places when I could barely hear myself think, there was definitely communication going on, but it may not have been audibly. Why do you think college quarterbacks have hand signals for routes? Why do basketball players use hand signals to designate what play they're going to run? Because teams know that vocal communication isn't always available. Even when I played in college goalkeeper, I knew that people responded better to visual cues than to auditory ones, so whenever I'd yell, there were always hand signals along with it. The communication isn't supposed to be basic coaching of where to be when the ball is at a certain position, its a tweak of what you're supposed to do that's outside the norm.

There's a big difference between ending a season early and having an annoyance in a game. If the Premiership stopped 20 games in next year, I would understand if people stopped going to games. If the World Cup were to stop tomorrow or start playing there games behind closed stadiums, then yes, you'd be spot on. But comparing an annoying horn, which I acknowledge it is, to a complete stoppage in activities, is ludicrous.

I will reiterate my point: are the horns annoying? Hell yes they are. However, would you want to make the Rockies play at sea level every game? Hell no. The venue, and what comes with it (be it horns, altitude, or MSU's cowbells) are as much a part of the game as the rules themselves. Get rid of the horns, then you get rid of the enjoyment of fans around the world.

Edit: And before I get shit about not knowing other sports, I had more than one offers for spots of collegiate basketball teams, more than one collegiate wresting scholarship offers, and one or two kicking scholarship offers. The kicking scholarship offers are still on the table for me.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Everyone in Toronto seems "captivated" by the vuvuzela when some idiot ordered about 11,000 of them for T-dot, so now these nightmares are now in my own home city's FIFA store, plaguing into Canada like fucking SARS or even worse So You Think You Can Dance. I may be inclined to rectally inserting it into the first ass-hat I catch blowing one in the street.

Here's hoping.

3. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theonion.com/articles/south- ... soc,17625/</a>

4. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

5. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice.

If I were a member of one of the World Cup teams, the Vuvuzela would still stand as only the second worst part about having the World Cup in South Africa. The real worst part? That I would have to be in South Africa.

6. DAMAGGOT

DAMAGGOT
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Why is soccer interrupting my vuvuzela concert?

7. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just read an article and the players, managers, and umpires all hated it. The umps and some of the players wore earplugs while one of the outfielders said he got a headache in the third inning. They even showed a picture of a mother who had to cover her kids ears. What fun.

Thank you Yankees for already banning these obnoxious pieces of shit. I don't watch soccer but a few days ago I put on a game to watch for a little while and turned it off in less than 2 minutes because why annoy myself.