Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

....but I hate needles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toddamus, Nov 7, 2016.

1. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate the flu shot.

I am not anti-vax I just don't think it's particularly effective outside some groups who really really need them.

I used to work with a girl whose brother was a fatal case of swine flu in Maryland. When she described what happened to him it sounded awful.

2. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had H1N1 once. That was pretty miserable. It didn't spur me to get the flu shot.

However, last year my wife got pregnant so I got my first one. Today I got my second one because we now have a little baby girl. A little soreness in the arm and possibly the least scary needle stick in the universe. Also, it was free to me, which is pretty good.

Ultimately, though, one of the reasons we should get it is the same reason we should vaccinate kids; herd immunity. *You* might survive the flu, but the person you expose it to might not. So we all vaccinate and it slowly loses places to live and fewer people die or suffer needlessly.

Seems good enough reason to me.