Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

California might legalize prostitution.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/2...prostitution-ban-may-proceed-judges-rule.html

I personally liked this quote:

Seriously though, I think it's just a matter of time before a good portion of states legalize it. The arguments against it are flimsy at best, and people just don't care about the moral decorum nonsense anymore.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Oh, lots of people still care. Lots of people still find it immoral and/or consider every woman involved was somehow forced into it.

We all know it could be regulated properly, it’s mostly common sense. And it should be legal.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s just like anything else that the government thinks making illegal will somehow make it go away. It just makes something that people will do anyways become safer and the state gets a cut of the profits.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which is silly. I get why people want stuff like heroin illegal. People commit crimes to get their fix and/or they become useless and end up needing government aid because they can't hold down a job. Plus, if they have children, and these losers often do, it's not quite a victimless crime. Not making an argument either way, just saying I can at least understand it.

But prostitution? That doesn't affect anyone else at all. Why anybody would give a shit beyond their silly antiquated ideas...sigh. California might actually legalize it though. I don't think that state really gives shit, and the fact that it is blue beyond blue should help.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't exactly take Fox News as a credible source of impending vice legalization.

And this crowd can't regulate Twitter, how the fuck would they legalize prostitution and somehow manage to keep it from causing an STD epidemic?

I've been told that STD's are on the rise, and have been steadily growing (in part due to pure ignorance on how to prevent them). I would also say that this is an issue that a lack of enforcement de facto "legalizes" for a few years before calling for outright recognition and regulation.

Should it be legal? Absolutely. Can the respective administrations in California/Washington effectively regulate it right now? I sincerely doubt it.

#7725 downndirty, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It didn't say it was impending. It just described where the process was at. Do you think they're lying about it or something??? Is so, why do you think that?

What does regulating twitter have to do with prostitution? Since when are we regulating twitter? Why are we regulating twitter? When did that happen? Is this a Russia thing?

As for STDs, believe me, if people want to get a hooker they don't give a shit what the law says. Also, this would mean a more professional atmosphere and probably better testing across the board for hookers. In any case, I don't see how it would get worse.

It's not like every guy wants to fuck hookers and just doesn't because it's illegal.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Fox News ran an article that got them views, not something that necessarily stands a snowball's chance in hell of being real policy, similar to every article in 2017 with the words "impeachment" in it.

I meant, the current administration can't really put their issues aside to craft meaningful, well-designed policy, and any California-specific legislation would get upended by Sessions if for no other reason that it has a Democrat's name on it.

I'm saying there is a path to legalized prostitution that's safe, regulated and difficult to abuse (Australia did it). Think about where we are with women's rights, sexual rights and reproduction policy in this country and tell me how this gets there. I agree with you, paying for sex isn't hard, and if you're going to do it, the law is likely the least of your concerns.

In short, I'll believe prostitution is legalized when I hear Donald Trump and Dianne Feinstein agree on how to pronounce chlamydia, or exactly how much a Dirty Sanchez should cost in San Diego.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure if it's likely to happen either, but considering other areas have already done it (it's not just Nevada by the way) I do believe that it's possible. People laughed at marijuana legalization not that long ago. As far as where we're at with sexual rights and women's rights... ummm.. what else is there to do? I know people bitch about reproductive rights for women sometimes, but I can't for the life of me understand why, especially considering men have zero rights and women can basically do anything they want at this point. Not that I particularly care about men's lack of reproductive rights....

The only thing hampering women's reproductive rights is a discussion of how much the government should pay for, and while I personally disagree I think it's absurd to say someone is a bad person for not wanting the government to pay. There's a bill that might ban abortions after 20 weeks excluding rape/incest/health reasons, but even that will never pass because it would need 60 senate votes and in the event it did pass I can only have so much sympathy for someone who uses the "my body" argument 40 fucking weeks into a pregnancy. These days that sentiment probably makes me a misogynist and/or/maybe sociopath...

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, a few challenges:
    What would constitute rape/sexual assault on a prostitute? What are their legal rights as employees?
    How would they legally secure an abortion? Or the reverse: what are my rights if I get a hooker pregnant and don't want to keep it?
    Who controls the licenses and how does one become a prostitute?
    How do states with vastly different measures of public health care address the risk of STD's from a legal profession?

The biggest one I can think of is: if I go online from my home in X state (where it's illegal) and pay for a prostitute in California (where it might be legal), am I guilty of a crime (soliciting a prostitute)?

I think the discussion around reproductive rights is a bit more nuanced. It's not just "how much does the government pay for", but what role the government has in educating us on sex, and how far into this the regulation goes (abortion, STD's, parenthood rights, etc.) and for me, the most poignant issue is what they base the policy on. Is the policy based on Jesus? Science? Previous policy? How this is governed in other places?

Again, it's possible, but in just thinking of these few challenges off the top of my head, I'm inclined to say "not in this climate". It's too divisive, and it almost feels like the political issue of taking better care of prisoners: sure it needs to be done, but there's literally no one advocating for it.

10. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That’s not even close to factual.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rt-texas-abortion-clinics-20160627-story.html

That article discusses a Texas law that was struck down by the Supreme Court that requires doctors performing abortions to have admitting privileges at a hospital. Which the Supreme Court said was essentially an unconstitutional way for the government to limit abortions. I know it’s not exactly on topic but there are plenty of states doing similar. So no it’s not just a discussion of who will pay for them.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly the same as they are now. Rape is still rape.

Exactly the same as now.

The same way one becomes a stripper or any other, ahem, service job. Standards depend on the company.

That's up to the states. They can mandate testing. Whatever they want...

These aren't big hurdles in my mind.

Again, remember some areas have legalized it. It's not like this shit is totally without complexity, but it's far from the most complicated controversial issue out there.

It is a divisive issue, but honestly, I think it's like gay marriage. You'll hear from some very loud conservatives on it, but most don't actually care very much, even if their stated position is against.

Someone is advocating for it. Otherwise advocates wouldn't be pushing the bill.

I certainly agree. There's a lot to iron down there. My point was just that I don't get, at least for the moment, how anybody in their right mind who is female could pretend they don't have reproductive rights. If you're a man you get no say, lose custody battles unless the woman is a drug addict or something like that, and you have to pay child support no matter what. If you're a woman you can abort whenever during the pregnancy, you can choose to give the child up after birth, you can demand child support no matter what, you have a huge advantage in any custody case or any child care dispute. The idea that women are disenfranchised with regards to this issue is a fucking joke, and I'm baffled that people are still trying to claim that.

Exactly my point. They made it minimally harder to get an abortion and it got struck down. This is the kind of trivial shit they bitch about now like they're victims and I can't really give a fuck.

There are people who have real problems. This isn't an example of one.

The real fight to outlaw abortion is all but dead. Most of the measures are to make it minimally more difficult or add 30 minutes to the drive, and you always hear about it like it's the end of the world.

I'm being a bit callous here, but that's my take on it.

#7731 Kampf Trinker, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  12. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

On a phone so it’s hard to just pick the part I wanted to reply to but:

The laws aren’t being passed with the intention of stopping at that point.

And it’s not driving thirty minutes. It’s driving multiple hours, sometimes out of state because the laws are so restrictive or they are attempting to make them so restrictive that they prevent places from performing abortions.
    On top of that, when you have states requiring multi day waiting periods from consultation to the procedures taking place you’re now requiring people to make multiple trips or to stay over in these areas.
    Obviously this is a topic that never ends well in discussions so I’d prefer to stay away from it. I just think there’s a lot more to it than you’re acknowledging.

And yes there are other issues related to it regarding parental rights that need to be resolved to, but I don’t see why fixing one problem should be contingent on the other.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, I hear this shit all the time and I don't care.

Here's why: Out of the millions of abortions performed over the last decade name me ONE example of someone who wanted an abortion and couldn't get one. You can't. Exactly.

I agree the silly measures are lame, but I won't shed any tears over it.

As for driving for hours, that might be true in some isolated remote areas, but -

For all I give a shit, make it available at every clinic, but I hear about Texas all the time in this regard and even there they have 'only' 19 such clinics.

How much am I supposed to care that it sometimes takes a very marginal effort? I have far less sympathy for the uber conservative position, but until someone can demonstrate a tangible problem that isn't just fear mongering bullshit, I feel like we have more important issues to address.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Good news y'all. He's cured! Ain't modern medicine wonderful?

1508629052677s.jpg

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Good. He’s fake cured from something that doesn’t exist.

The only cure for Harvey Weinstein is sealing him inside a 55 gallon drum and dropping it into a forest fire.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not sure that the criminal justice system really gives a shit, and I think he's now "done in a week" because his team finally figured that out it's a fucking waste of time. He's not trying to win back the fans that read tabloids, he's up against some serious looking criminal charges.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Mel Gibson is allowed back into the mainstream, so will Weinstein. Just wait.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That won't happen.

There is a pretty big gulf between saying some offensive shit and raping someone.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea but woody Allen married his step daughter and makes movies and Roman Polanski still gets respect. I put nothing past these people.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Jimmy Page kidnaped and raped a 14-year-old. Ted Kennedy killed a woman drunk driving and refused to report it until he sobered up. Sean Penn tied Madonna to a chair a beat the shit out of her with her arms and legs bound.

It doesn’t matter what a celebrity does. They will eventually be forgiven and loved again, no matter how horrible it is. If Polanski drugging a tween and fucking her up the ass while she was passed out isn’t enough, than literally NOTHING on the face of this earth is.