Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He should have went the David Cross route, "We were both drunk and are misremembering the events plus that twink looked way older than 14." I wonder if he'll become a total pariah for this single (so far) event? Unlike Harvey who was a known hardcore asshole, Spacey, by all but one account, is a very decent guy and an absolute darling of the Hollywood crowd. They put up with Harvey because he won them oscars and weildedpower. Odd new waters the whole internet lynch mob in these cases. With Weinsteins heavy record of aboslute bullshit the outcome is much more cut and dry. Will they burn him to the ground or let him move on from it?

2. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That seems to be an image that they were pushing for Spacey. Coming out more that it was another open secret that he was doing this pretty regularly.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

So some asshole just ran over a bunch of bike riders in NYC. 6 dead so far, some injured, the driver was shot and taken alive by police. They're calling it terrorism, because truck + running over people + islamic dude.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

+having to get out infront of the president's tweets.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Severe miscalculation by the terrorists. Most Americans fantasize about running over cyclists with their car to begin with.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Dude jumped out with a pellet gun and a paintball gun.

This is the Benny Hill of terrorists.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now you have to be fucking with us.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I mean 8 people dead is no joke, and thankfully they got this fucker alive.

But I still find it humorous that murderous fucker used a rented home depot truck (the small pickup kind, like an F150 or similar size) and came out with pellet guns and paintball guns. It doesn't belittle the fact that there are 8 families who kissed goodbye to their loved ones this morning and will not see them alive again. But the "plot" does little in terms of striking fear as far as I'm concerned. Like dude couldn't at least get a kitchen knife or something? Walmart sporting goods section was the extent of his plans? So now I gotta start hoarding paintballs and pellets or what?

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

You know, I'm just gonna throw it out here, but it probably reflects pretty badly on us that a shitbag murdered 8 innocent people and we're sitting here having a laugh and making fun of him because his armaments weren't as lethal as they could've been and people's lives were likely saved because of it. I'm just sayin.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Would you rather me send them my thoughts and prayers? Because it’s gonna do about the same. Would you rather us act with horror and sadness? Talk about how we’re afraid to go in bike lanes now? What good will that do? We can’t change outcome of what happened, so no point in dwelling in negative emotions that will only bring us down when we can find something slightly humorous at least.

I never get the whole “too soon” stuff. Too soon for what? For me to carry on with my life? For me to have fun, to laugh? Am I somehow going to change the outcome of something, or you think those families will really care, if I wait some undetermined amount of time to move on from an event that has no impact on me at all?

Home Depot sucks anyway. Bet you bucks that car wouldn’t have been totaled from a fender bender with a school bus if he’d rented it from Lowes.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Has anyone else noticed the terrorist looks like Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle?

Capture.PNG dewey-malcolm-in-middle-look-like-now-today.png

12. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'm not trying to be all sanctimonious about it, but making fun specifically of the fact that he didn't kill more people feels like it crosses some line for me. I don't know. I think toytoy's joke about him looking like Dewey is perfectly fair game, but joking about him being a shitty terrorist because he had pellet guns instead of real guns seems crass since he still managed to kill 8 people.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think Scientology is pushing all of this to take the focus off of
    The fact that all of the mainstream media is all over this like a fat kid on a smartie is crass.

If you can’t make a joke about anything, in bad taste or otherwise, then the terrorists have truly won.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

NYC still did their Halloween parades last night. The terrorists lost.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Why does Spacey need to come out at all? Jesus.... you can’t come out of a closet that had no doors, glass walls, and everyone could see you having gay sex inside. Slightly less obvious than Clay Aiken but up there.

16. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Does seeing this witch-hunt mentality regarding the sexual assault claims make anyone else nervous? Without commenting on whether or not they're true - they may well be - it's like there's a big chunk of society that, via social media, would prefer mob rule. This is the same shit they did when proclaiming a random woman to be a witch or something.

If someone alleges assault it should be investigated and, if appropriate, tried in a court. Treating every person like they are 100% guilty because some random person tells a story that happened +30 years ago is dissettling. What happens if one of these dudes didn't do what they're claiming?

Jesus, if we can try Wynona Ryder for shoplifting surely we can hold back on the media coverage on sexual assault until something has at least been filed with the DA or the Crown.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's this bizarre obsession with schadenfreude that people have - why tabloids with celebrities getting fat, or divorcing, or arrested are so popular. People love to see the high and mighty fall. I think it's a pendulum effect, too. For example, the NFL suspensions for domestic issues. Ray Rice was given a "light" punishment (2 games, which, at the time was the most ever for a domestic violence issue), and then the video came out and the Commissioner was vilified. Now, Zeke Elliott has been suspended 6 games, despite the fact that he hasn't been convicted in a court of law, and there's all sorts of sketchy details about the woman claiming the assault. It's very difficult, because abuse or assault is terrible. Everyone guilty of it should be punished, and the victims claims should be taken seriously. Those things create emotional responses, and it's hard to accept things like due process or fair trials or waiting on evidence. Like the saying goes, "Reason is the first casualty* of emotion."

*I think the original word is victim in the quote, but the repeated phrase now seems to be casualty.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I think your Salem Witch Trials metaphor is spot on. It’s a presumption of guilt in the worst possible way. If the person accused is found guilty, of course they get what’s coming to them and then some. But the idea that basically anyone can allege sexual misconduct occurred even decades ago and immediately ruin someone’s life without any proof or trial, is appalling.

19. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I mean, that would be terrible, if that's what was happening. But I've hardly seen that at all.

What I have seen is that people who were KNOWN to be somewhere on a spectrum from creepy to predator, like Ratner, Weinstein, Spacey, etc., being very belatedly called out by a vast variety of sources. And in most cases, not denying it. What actor/director/producer's life has been "immediately ruined" by a false accusation?

I think it should be abundantly clear why "being found guilty in a court of law" should not be the only standard to which we hold abusers of power. If your behavior is so abhorrent that merely describing it on social media can cause people to look at you in disgust, what are we protecting?

I'm not even going to touch the irony of calling this sort of a thing a "witch hunt."

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I very much doubt it applies in this case, especially considering Weinstein having 40 accusers or some absurdly high number like that. However, it has happened on other occasions outside the film industry. Duke, UVA, Sulkowicz all come to mind. One of the saddest I've seen was a kid on a USC scholarship, who might have made it in the NFL get sent to prison for years, the truth only coming to light well after his shot at an athletic career was all but over. A lot of people have pushed the idea that you have to believe accusations, and based on the reputable studies I've seen that is a dangerous line of thinking. Wiki links a few of them, and unsurprisingly the numbers are kind of all over the place, ranging from single digits to the high 40s. I think the people who believe woman never (or almost never) falsify these things just think it's too strange for someone to do it, but by most accounts it isn't particularly rare.

I don't know how to classify it as a problem one way or the other though because there's people on the other end who immediately assume the woman is full of shit, which is equally inappropriate.