Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I think you're spot on with this.

Like virtually everything else in this world, the examples people cling to for their arguments are at the extremes, and the truth lies somewhere in the center. On one end you got people who immediately assume the accuser is making it up or they "had it coming" or whatever other antiquated belief system they subscribe to. Then you have the people out for blood and making a story out of nothing like in the Duke case.

The reality is, everything from gettin Crosbyed to gettin Harveyed is a major issue that should be in the public consciousness more. But there's also a judicial system for a reason, and unless I am remembering it incorrectly the Constitution does not include the mainstream media and social media as part of that judicial system.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have to be extremely careful with mob justice it won't always be focused on clear cut cases of abhorrent behavior or a current cause celbre you happen to agree with.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Most of the time mob ANYTHING is negative. After the Boston Marathon bombing, didn’t somebody end up committing suicide over false accusations because of some trumped-up Reddit vigilante crap?

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The individual was already dead I believe, but the family was harassed while they were still searching for what turned out to be their deceased son.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Oh, okay. Not nearly as bad, but bad.

This recent thing about shooting victims in Vegas being harassed as actors... how much of this story holds water? I’m trying to approach any media story with skepticism these days and I don’t know what side of the fence this story first came out.

Are these individual trolls piping up or actual named groups threatening families?

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

And now today Dustin Hoffman has his turn at the gallows: groping a teenager 31 years ago.

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t see this new “accuse the celebrity decades later” trend getting over-saturated whatsoever in the near future. No, not at all.

Let me tell you: if Hoffman did this while shooting Rain Man he shouldn’t get in trouble because he was retarded and didn’t know better.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My understanding is that a lot of them were threatened via social media, which is fucked up, but there isn't actually that many 'harassers'. Outlandish displays of fucktard garner attention and all that. If you remember the Sandy Hook truthers, it pretty much seems to just be more of that nonsense. Only you have to give them extra stupid props now, as they're denying something literally thousands of people witnessed first hand.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Read something today about Kyrie Irving, the NBA superstar who infamously believes the Earth is flat, and it's one of those stories that kinda transcends the scope of just the sport the athlete plays.

This Duke University educated, purported role model basketball player, is feeding raw steaks to the conspiracy theory wolves. And sadly, instead of correcting him or calling him out or showing just how harmful ignorant beliefs can be to the children who idolize him, everyone is basically just mocking Irving and using him for fluff pieces and easy page views.

This is the exact kind of shit that brings us to where we are today, where victims the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history still get death threats for surviving. And people are like "well, that's the Internet for ya!" No, it's not. Or at least it shouldn't be. These ignorant, disgraceful fuckers should be held accountable for their actions online and their words should have real world consequences to them, rather than just their innocent targets.

On a more positive note though, today Papa Johns admonished the NFL for allowing players to lawfully protest a very real problem for black athletes. For some reason I see that backfiring on them.....

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I was referring specifically to the police, as protests toward Trump and the Houston owner seemed to be fairly evident on their own when they occurred. Though I don't personally think the issue with police relations and people of color is as much of an "issue" as they make of it --statistics speak for themselves and I wish "stop and frisk" was still policy -- I do fully support their right to peacefully protest and believe they are doing so in a non-offensive way.

Sadly, someone just shot up a Walmart. It's so recent that reports vary widely, but the general consensus I'm hearing so far is that at least two are dead with more injured.

To my knowledge none of the victims were actors.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I didn't see that Papa John's reached that conclusion in support or admonishment of the actual rationale behind the protests, the fact that their management is so incompetent they identified this as the reason their sales are declining explains a lot about why their sales are declining.

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I mean, yes, mob justice is a dangerous thing, but I don't think that's even what's really happening here. Hollywood abusers being outed is absurdly overdue, and the idea that people who donated to Democratic causes are exempt from scrutiny is a fallacy that should have been debunked long ago.

We have so ridiculously far to go in the direction of Hollywood people being overscrutinized that it's virtually a non-problem. Now if we're talking about some poor kid who has no money being accused of rape because his girlfriend's parents don't like the cut of his jib, that's a different issue.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

17. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some of these new tax brackets are perplexing, if I'm reading this right..... 25% for individuals making <$200k but 35% for married making >$260k?

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Nope.

Heres the breakdown -
    • The 12 percent bracket: This rate applies to single filers starting at $12,000 up to $45,000. For married joint filers, this applies after the $24,000 deduction up to $90,000.
    • The 25 percent rate: This begins at $45,000 for single filers and $90,000 for joint filers who are married.
    • The 35 percent rate: Single filers reach this bracket at $200,000. This rate applies to married filers at $260,000.
    • The 39.6 percent rate: This rate applies at $500,000 for singles and $1 million for married couples.
    TL/DR -

-Raises the brackets for higher tax rates and reduction in middle class rates;
    -Cuts corporate taxes
    -Increases deductions/credits for lower income
    -Phases out chunk of estate taxes

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

So...then what IS the standard? If an impartial system that lets you represent both sides of an accusation, produce evidence for and against and then - ideally - makes a dispassionate decision is not "the standard," what do we do? How do you ensure that you can't just ruin someone's life with a false accusation? And before you jump into the shoes of the alleged victim, try imagining being falsely accused of something.

"But someone claiming sexual assault is never lying!" Is not an acceptable answer.

Again, I'm not for one second suggesting that these men didn't do what the women claim; I'm saying they have the right to a proper trial before we burn them at the stake (pun intended).

20. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Isn't that what I said? Individuals can make $200k at 25% but couples can only make $260k to stay in the 25% bracket. That screws people like my wife and I, though our taxes are only going up 2% (after deduction changes it may be a wash, I don't know, I haven't given it any thought yet) but all the same, I shouldn't be surprised, the rich and the poor are the only ones looked out for in this country. I don't know if married filed separately will count as individual or married in the tax code?