Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Am I the only one who's tuning right out of this shit any more?

Who cares? The dude was nuts.... X number killed.... blah blah blah... it's still a statistical anomaly that is not newsworthy beyond a small, localized segment, and yet the large segments of the country/continent become fixated on it 24/7.

I'll tell you right now, that shit isn't healthy.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

No, youre not the only one. The FBI released statistics last year that violent crime is the lowest its been in 50 years. But because the news has to be 24/7, they obsess over it, which gives the killers a platform.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A scoreboard.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

These days, you’re exactly right. It seems it’s no longer “life is unfair, look at me” but to up the ante of the last maniac. People no longer want to gang themselves with their shoelaces, they want to burn the world first as one last Fuck You.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

A lot of it I don't really care about beyond "oh hey, that happened." The Vegas shooter I was interested in because I'm a country music fan, and the mystery of it (or shitty police work) was mildly interesting for a bit.

This Texas shooter just the proximity makes it relevant. When I heard he lived in New Braunsfels I was like well no shit, the average IQ there is half of what it is in the rest of Texas, which is still far below the national average I'm sure. Plus I've driven through the town where the shooting occurred. I mean 26 people murdered, shit. That impacts, like, three families there. (In fact, CNN reports that's 4% of the total population.)

6. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't say I've tuned out completely, as I work in an office in a shopping mall and we've had discussion about the very real potential for an active shooter event. I take it seriously.

However I don't obsess over it either. Like you said, that 24/7 drum beat ain't healthy. But it's fucking great for ratings !!

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Even if it was reported, still think that's gonna stop him from obtaining a gun?

Laws work for law abiding citizens. Criminals don't give a shit about laws.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Of course he could've acquired a gun through other channels, but why make it easier for him?

Also, his last job was security for a waterpark full of kids. He passed a background check for that job too. I'm not sure, but I would hope that someone who battered an infant so badly that he fractured the kid's skull would automatically be disqualified from working around children.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that last part bothers me. The background check process is extensive for working with or around children, and it is effective, though in order to be effective the offenses have to be reported in the first place..... yeah.....

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just like a CARFAX. If there's no insurance claim, there's no repair record. If the Air Force didn't report him, then his CORI likely came back clean.

And yes, criminals could still get weapons outside the law. But do you know how much a black market weapon costs? I sure don't, but I imagine it's a helluva lot more than the standard, if you even know where to go. Maybe head north and try to intercept a shipment going into Chicago?

12. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is Government in action. Yet somehow, people are convinced that more Government action on firearms will somehow fix this entire issue? They can't even manage the policies they have now.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

i think the saddest part are the people screeching "We need more gun laws! Fuck the NRA!" like the congressman that walked out of the moment of silence for the victims in a wonderful display of virtue signalling.

The shooter obtained his guns because laws already on the books were not followed, and who stopped the guy? An NRA member with legally owned firearms.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Holy shit. CNN is now reporting that the shooter escaped a mental facility in 2012.

Isn't locked up for being bat shit insane supposed to keep you from owning a firearm too?

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just about to post this.

This article makes me want to beat my head against the desk.

Literally everything in that guy's history was screaming "he's gonna fucking kill someone!!!!" Clearly the criminal process is not working, and I'm now 100% convinced that creating more gun laws is not the solution.

16. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Government. In. Action.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, the guy checked every single box in the serial killer/spree shooter checklist:

Domestic abuse
    Animal abuse
    Stalking and harassing exes
    Institutinalized
    Kicked out of military
    Fascination with mass shootings and weapons

I mean, how many cracks can one asshole fall through? People close to him had to see this coming.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

You forgot to add that he has a really punchable face. People with really punchable faces tend to be mass shooters also.

That’s why we need to beat the shit outta Aaron Rodgers. That lazy eyed fucker is up to something I know it.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean given his appearance and the part of bum fuck he's from, all sorts of criminality get overlooked in those sitautions. This wasn't the upper middle class suburbanite parents who missed the signs after forays into mental health like Columbine, Vtech, Aurora, Sandy Hook etc. My guess is he came from a poor family struggling to keep it together themselves or were just shitheels like their kid, cycle of poverty and all. The easy feel good answer is calling for gun control. The harder yet more benificial national conversation and resulting needed action is mental health and prison reform. The right, and those that support gun rights, need to come up with concrete actionable plans on this subject or the left/gun control types will win the right majorities at the right time and use another one of these tragedies to pass near anything they want. I just don't see the ultimate stone walling strategy the NRA uses as tenable in the long term if nothing is ever addressed on the subject ever. Im with Nett that these are statistical anomalies, but they aren't going away, and the media isn't going to stop covering them (the are the ultimate if it bleeds it leads stories outside of war coverage).

20. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I'm indifferent to the number of gun laws we have, as long as they're enforced in a way that prevents this from happening. Whatever we have to do to make that happen, I'm in favor of, but clearly something has to change.

All of that said, fuck the NRA. The nonsense propaganda they're peddling is way more incendiary and divisive than anything I've seen out of any SJW.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...964a7d55207_video.html?utm_term=.c32f6abf0b1e